CrazyBoards.org

Move to rename BPD as Post-Invalidation Disorder

Hi All. I haven't posted in like 6 months, but have continued to be very interested in psychology & chemical disorder (having major chronic depression + possible dysthemia myself). There is a member of my family with BPD, and this name sucks. It means nothing. It is confusing, if anything. This disorder should be renamed as either Post-Invalidation Disorder, or Post-Childhood Invalidation Disorder. This would clearly identify the factor on which BPD is based: a kind of post-traumatic syndrome as a result of undue invalidation (undue=no one should be invalidated, ever -- invalidation is the converse of support).

Thanks for listening...

Alex K

almost any of the proposed names for borderline make more sense than borderline.

after all the term "borderline personality disorder" was originally used to describe patients that were on the "borderline" between psychosis and neurosis. and well, that's not what the disorder is and they don't even use the term neurosis now that, yanno, freud is dead.

post-invalidation disorder certainly works on the linehan model. which we all know i am a fan of. though, in a way, borderlines invalidate themselves so it's not exactly post. but it does describe what seems to be the cause of the disorder in a lot of cases. however, as linehan herself pointed out, not all borderlines were exactly invalidated as children. borderline can be a result of a "normal" american family dynamic, which is why not all people identify with that model. we live in a fairly invalidating world.

i'm just kind-of going off here.

i've also heard of people asking to have it renamed emotion-modulation disorder and moves to move it out of personality disorder and into PTSD or into bipolar. (PTSD makes more sense to me than bipolar, and i seriously disagree that borderline is bipolar, but that's a whole other can of worms.)

sometimes i think renaming disorders is pointless, and that changing the name doesn't fix stigma. other times, esp. if it's to a more descriptive name that would help people understand the disorder more, i think it's a good idea.

Heya alex,

I'm thinking along with Penny here that borderline and bipolar are probably *not* a continuum, though overlap frequently, but whatever, that's OT and is likely to fluctuate.

I've heard different suggestions for reconceptualising "borderline" in terms of "self-identity disorder" or "emotional regulation disorder." I like the invalidation concept you're talking about.

Either way the word "borderline" has to go. Seriously. There's too many times when I have the Dr Ncc hat on that I hear, Oh, she's borderline, you can spot them a mile off.

Wow, you have great eyes to spot a person's pain a mile off.

--ncc--

if it's to a more descriptive name that would help people understand the disorder more, i think it's a good idea.

I have personally starting using it that way myself, because I hate it when my own thoughts confuse me, and that stupid name does it to me. I think of it as "PID" when I think about it. Like I said, a family member of mine is PID, so, I don't have to think of him as sitting on the psychosis fence or something, like the name borderline suggests. There's a variety of issues, one of which is psychotic (irrational) thinking under stress. So, in one little acronym, PID, I remind myself WHY he is that way, regardless of what the variety of effects are.

It works for me, so I thought I'd share.

Alex K

It would also be nice to get the chorus of that stupid fucking Madonna song out of my head. I'd appreciate that.

Croix

She wrote a song about pelvic inflammatory disease?

"Borderline feels like I'm going to lose my mind

You just keep on pushing my love over the borderline"

i dont like the idea of calling it post- invalidation.

i have BPD and as of yet we (my docs and i) have found no one in my pass who have "invalidated" me. other then MYSELF. and this is something i do EVERY day.

so the post part doesnt apply cause it didnt just happen in the past, it happened then, now and most likely will continue in the future.

and the invalidation is only PART of the problem, not the whole thing.

change the name to what ever, it doesnt really bother me, all any labels do is end up stereotyping and creating stigma. Might as well stick with the devil we know, then go create a new one.

doesnt matter what its called it aint going to make it go away, stop it from happening etc etc etc.

imo

i dont like the idea of calling it post- invalidation.

i have BPD and ... have found no one in my past who have "invalidated" me.

I don't disagree with you. The complex and elusive nature of the disorder indicate it will probably be classified as two or more different individual disorders in the future. A lot like how the 1800s version of "crazy" resolved into the variety of disorders defined by the modern DSM, and continues to be refined with every edition.

At the moment, it seems to me that the resulting state of "borderline" can be, and generally *is* caused by invalidation, but apparently that is not the single cause, as you have indicated. The phenomenon of "borderline" may also have a chemical basis. I don't know. Or, as if often the case, someone may be classified as "borderline" when really they are not. That is, a misdiagnosis.

In the case of my PID (post-invalidation) family member, it has been established by his own history that he was invalided (in this specific case, by his mother, not so much his father). So, in his case, he is truly "PID." I suppose "borderline" can be used in cases where no invalidation exists, but the borderline syndrome exists, nonetheless.

Alex K

This discussion is partly a rehash of a previous thread, in which NCC1701 mentioned attending a lecture where the suggested revised name was Self Identity Disorder. Claiming no expertise, but following the discussion and dx criteria, I think that SID is more descriptive than PID.

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=108845

a.m.

This discussion is partly a rehash of a previous thread

...suggested revised name was Self Identity Disorder

I think that SID is more descriptive than PID.

Oops. I didn't read that thread before posting.

SID is excellent! That's a good one. Anything to get away from BPD.

Very oddly, it can combined into the same acronym anyway, not that you hafta. (The word combos are an Alex thing.) PID works out to either Post-Invalidation Disorder or Personal Identity Disorder. ;) To differentiate, post-invalidation can be thought of as post *childhood* invalidation disorder: PCID, which is more on the post-traumatic side.

Alex K

i like self identity disorder better then the pid stuff for post invalidation just doesnt sit with me cause i got the dx borderline but invalidation by another person is pretty foriegn to me. where i think pretty much everyone with borderline will agree there self identity is "mixed up, lost, confusd, f@cked up" whatever u describe it its messed up in some way shape or form.

but still changing names really isnt TREATING the symptoms. its all labels. we got to stop thinking of labels and start working on the symptoms of our illness. thats the only way to get better.

they could sit round and discuss renaming cancer to peanut paste but no one would get any better if the docs and patients werent out there treating the symptoms.

"a rose by any other name" in this case would still smell like a shit illness to have to me.

imo

• 2 months later...

post invalidation disorder would be a good name because it would help people who suffer/ed from chronic invalidation to realise that that they have a fucking serious disorder and not just a 'troubled' childhood. anytime someone is brought in from the cold to begin treatment is a damn good thing.

grouse.

• 1 month later...

Archived