CrazyBoards.org

okay question here...

Any of y'all feel that ADD/ADHD makes you a better driver, or perhaps instead a worse one?

Drivers here in GA/SC tend to drive focused on one thing, and that's the road ahead. I have a feeling that's why they carelessly (but oh so slowly) make right turns cutting off other traffic, and wander aimlessly among lanes doing 10 below the speed limit (of course without using turn signals!).

Me? I'm checking left mirror, right mirror, rear mirror, while keeping my eyes out front most of the time. I can't focus on just the damn front of me all the time! I need variety. It's really fun to do an aggressive passing maneuver and get it just right... check blind spot, check ahead for oncomers, signal, move, accelerate like a demon, check blind spot in back for passee, signal back, return to lane of travel. No wonder people here never try passing. Well, that and they can't pass much if they're going 10MPH below.

I've been told *knock on wood* that I'm an extremely good driver --- albeit one who constantly forces his passengers to grab at the "OH SHIT" handles above every window. And I've repeatedly almost been hit/run off the road merging in from a cloverleaf loop... you're supposed to gun it at the top and merge in... needless to say, people don't do that here... so anybody in the vicinity of the merge goes down the highway at normal speed, expecting to blast by before the merger ever thinks of merging. This would explain how I've literally gotten into drag races with the person next to me (and my loss if I lose, I'll go down the other loop ramp, or probably end up tail-spinning into the grass). It's almost the same with straight ramp merging - as most people tend to attempt merging into traffic at well below 40MPH (even with freeway limits of 70MPH).

Oh yes... the best cloverleaf maneuver ever... I've REPEATEDLY seen drivers here, while attempting to enter a cloverleaf loop and weave with exiting traffic, who come to a COMPLETE STOP waiting for entering traffic to clear.

My former states, like Indiana and Maryland... not nearly as bad as here, but still goodies. Both states are building ridiculous amounts of roundabouts (similar to traffic circles), mainly in metro Indianapolis and Baltimore/DC, respectively. Unfortunately, they do not realize that without proper traffic education, all except the youngest of drivers may not understand how to handle them.

In Indiana, I personally witnessed an elderly man in a Lincoln Town Car enter the roundabout, proceed a half turn around it, and realized he'd missed the exit (right turn) that he wanted to take. What does the bumble do? Of course, what's logical! He puts the car in reverse and backs up a quarter turn through the roundabout and drives out his exit.

I think the Maryland story (I read about this in the paper) is even funnier, though. Apparently there was this guy who'd take MD-739/Hanover Rd. every single day to work, and then found another job. 3 years later, he was going down the same road as his previous commute, when he'd failed to notice that a roundabout was installed a year before at an intersection with a set of onramps to the MD-32 freeway. Poor sap drove straight over the center island, and somehow managed to trap his (rear wheel drive) SUV atop the landscaping planter in the middle. The picture I saw, I believe, was of the front 2/3 of the SUV atop the planter, and the rear third with frantically spinning wheels hanging in the air.

Every time I drove through that roundabout, I couldn't get that image out of my head (and almost drove into it myself, while laughing).

Whoa... this post was about ADD and driving right?? well whatever, time for cookies, hehehe

It's really fun to do an aggressive passing maneuver and get it just right... check blind spot, check ahead for oncomers, signal, move, accelerate like a demon, check blind spot in back for passee, signal back, return to lane of travel.

I've been told *knock on wood* that I'm an extremely good driver --- albeit one who constantly forces his passengers to grab at the "OH SHIT" handles above every window.

You're not a good driver you're an asshole driver.

It's really fun to do an aggressive passing maneuver and get it just right... check blind spot, check ahead for oncomers, signal, move, accelerate like a demon, check blind spot in back for passee, signal back, return to lane of travel.

I've been told *knock on wood* that I'm an extremely good driver --- albeit one who constantly forces his passengers to grab at the "OH SHIT" handles above every window.

You're not a good driver you're an asshole driver.

;) He looks for oncoming traffic and double-checks his blind spot. That's more than most

drivers ever do. :)

I've lived and driven up and down the Eastern Seaboard, including now the Miami area. Some of the

deadliest intersections in the country are within my current roaming range. Judging from your

comment on Herrfous' description, I can assure you you have NO CONCEPT of "asshole" driving.

I'd love to see the look on your face as someone pulls a Hialeah Right (turn) in front of you,

extra points for Liberty City style.

Anyway, back to topic. AD(H)D environment scanning and having glitches in the traffic pattern raise

warning flags before you know what's wrong + proper medication = good combination in traffic

although anxiety-provoking for some passengers. AD(H)D inattentiveness, distractability, and

"need for speed" unmedicated (or self-medicated :cussing: ) +/- blood sugar up/down

spikes (oops) = um, NOT so good.

I STILL think some of the maniacs on the road around here are in desperate need of sedation, if not

surgical intervention for cranio-rectal inversion.

Stupid/inattentive driving and asshole driving are two entirely different things. Deliberate aggressive driving falls under the second category.

I guess if I drive like an asshole, I'm somehow considerate at the same time. If a driver needs to be let in, I let them in. If a driver is on a 2-lane road, causing a backup behind him while trying to turn left, I stop and flash my high beams to signal him to go. I wave if someone lets me in (or if someone conceives that a move I made was utterly moronic). I absolutely do not believe in tailgating (but sometimes it'll get the best of me while following someone doing 10MPH below on a 2-lane road or 10MPH below in the left lane of the freeway). Road karma, if you will. The only real bad thing about my driving is that I sometimes scare my passengers.

Considerate asshole, sounds like an oxymoron. How true that is. </Dan Quayle>

Praxis, I know you're a good person for keeping yourself off the road when you understand you're not fit to drive. Hell, that'd practically immobilize the entire Southeast. ;-) But please realize that when passing judgement, you sure as hell need to be considering logic and not just prejudice and emotion.

I'd rather be a considerate and safe asshole rather than stupid, inattentive, inconsiderate, and dangerous.

herrfous, asshole driver since 2000 and damn proud of it. Now get out of my way. ;-)

(Anybody else sense a lot of sand coming up in this thread? I know I'm having an incredible amount of sand...)

Herrfous,

After re-reading your post it looks like you might be describing a one lane highway? If so, I take it back-that may indeed be the safest way to pass, depending on conditions. If you are describing the same thing that I see every day, I stand by my words. In my city too many drivers, when passing on the freeway will accelerate, ride on the bumper of the car they want to pass for a few seconds, change lanes to zip around them them, then quickly back into the original lane. They will do this even if there are no other cars in sight. There is no practical advantage to doing this. The intent is clearly to intimidate the other driver. That's just being a jerk any way you look at it. So is running red lights, cutting people off deliberately, weaving in and out of traffic at high speed, driving in the break down lane to get ahead during a rush hour traffic jam, and any number of other behaviors.

I'm not defending driving too slow, not watching for oncoming traffic, not checking blind spot, etc. I'm drawing a distinction between the intent , not the outcome.

I posted before reading your edit. Glad to see you are not a tailgater. They really piss me off! And that is based on logic as well as emotion.

I'm a shitty driver. I've been told this will improve with practice, but I doubt more every time. Also unmedicated. Also told some of my spacing doesn't look like an ADD thing and I need to manage a referral to a neurologist. Aren't you glad I don't own a car?

I've got the "I'm sorry, I was listening to my head" thing going on BAD.

I routinely cruise by my freeway exits because I was woolgathering. Hell, many times I cruise past my exit, turn around at the next off/on ramp, and go sailing by my exit yet again from the other direction because my mind is somewhere else already.

I get lost on trips I've made many, many times. In fact it happens so often it's become a joke between my daughter and I. Suddenly I emerge blinking from the primordial haze in my head, become aware of my surroundings and think "Where the hell am I?".

There are times I have no recollection of the drive somewhere. I guess I was thinking important thoughts (wool-gathering), and driving on auto-pilot. I haven't had an accident in 23 years, so I guess I'm not a danger to myself or others, but often when I drive my mind is a million miles away.

Info(wasn't that my exit?)Nut

Me? I'm checking left mirror, right mirror, rear mirror, while keeping my eyes out front most of the time. I can't focus on just the damn front of me all the time! I need variety. It's really fun to do an aggressive passing maneuver and get it just right... check blind spot, check ahead for oncomers, signal, move, accelerate like a demon, check blind spot in back for passee, signal back, return to lane of travel. No wonder people here never try passing. Well, that and they can't pass much if they're going 10MPH below.

What a waste of driving talent! You belong with us here in California. I know everyone pictures deadlocked freeways, but it's not always like that. On a good day with traffic averaging 80 MPH, there can be an incredible sense of flow. It's one of the few times I can let go of my constant ruminations and just be one with the road ahead, the drivers around me and the sweet coordination of it all. Ohm.

Greeny

What a waste of driving talent! You belong with us here in California. I know everyone pictures deadlocked freeways, but it's not always like that. On a good day with traffic averaging 80 MPH, there can be an incredible sense of flow. It's one of the few times I can let go of my constant ruminations and just be one with the road ahead, the drivers around me and the sweet coordination of it all. Ohm.

Greeny

Been there, done that. Lived in the San Jose area for almost a year. Regularly had fun on the Bay Area's best-kept secret, I-280, the Junipero Serra Freeway and "Most Beautiful Freeway in the World".... specifically between Palo Alto and Daly City. And have almost shot at SoCal transplants who call it "the 280".

San Jose drivers, though, tend to be fairly airheaded... like the ones in Georgia, just driving faster.

I've got the "I'm sorry, I was listening to my head" thing going on BAD.

Yes, exactly my problem! How many times can a single person lose track of her/his mind...?

San Jose drivers, though, tend to be fairly airheaded... like the ones in Georgia, just driving faster.

Gah...Georgia drivers. Although, Floridians take the cake in my book. Those Jacksonville drivers are the worst.

Ah Greeny I'm Californian and in LA too. Merge? What's merge? Let others in? Oh no. Signal? Oh can't do that. And yes they HAVE to cut across four lanes of traffic at 90 mph to get off at the Sunset exit. I'm scared to death of the traffic here. There are so many people cutting each other off, cursing, playing loud music, and driving like the fast and the furious that I can't concentrate on one single thing. I stay off the freeways. eek...

lilie

Joan Didion wrote an essay kind of jokingly asserting that California drivers are telepathic, else they'd have more crashes trying to do the things that they do.

I squirt my windshield washers for tailgaters. Sometimes they take a long time to figure it out.

I scared my self when I was 17 and have been a reasonably good driver in the many years since, or else pretty lucky. I will drive "aggressively" if it doesn't involve crowding other people or driving fast where there are likely to be incompetent pedestrians, like kids. I try to drive at a speed compatible with most of the traffic, but I guess I'm faster than 3/4 of the other drivers. No speeding tickets so far, tho I did get a warning.

In Indiana, I personally witnessed an elderly man in a Lincoln Town Car enter the roundabout, proceed a half turn around it, and realized he'd missed the exit (right turn) that he wanted to take. What does the bumble do? Of course, what's logical! He puts the car in reverse and backs up a quarter turn through the roundabout and drives out his exit.

Whoa... this post was about ADD and driving right?? well whatever, time for cookies, hehehe

As an Indiana native myself, I know what you mean about the cloverleaf interchanges. I lived in Indy and witnessed the mass confusion of Eastsiders when they turned the I-70/Post Road interchange into a clover leaf. Hell, I had to explain it to people. *shakes head*

As for the original question, I don't think my ADD makes me a better driver. My mind really tends to wander when I do something like drive on an interstate, the constat go-speed of 70 and no stopping and no scenery tends to make me drift off.

I think I am okay when driving in the city though, I don't seem to get the same "highway hypnosis" feeling.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest espressogrrl

ADD can help my driving or hurt it.

no music - it will hurt it..... ooooo red discount signs in the store window....

I have to create a situation. Usually it is something upbeat with a steady rhythm in its bass. Steady rhythmic beats are like the pied piper for me, I will go into superfocus mode.

The best thing for my driving was waitressing to get through school. If you can have ADD and know what tables have what glasses empty, who is on appetizers and who is still waiting on entrees, then your peripheral vision is helped dramatically. Rush hour in a restaraunt kicks in superfocus mode, and what i feel when i drive is a lot like dinner rush on a friday night.

So, I make sure I always have a little drumming available courtesy of The Bluecoats (see my avatar, that's the DVD cover of their 2004 show), Music City Mystique, The Cavaliers, Rhythm X, Phantom Regiment, RCC, The Cadets, Matrix (see my signature), etc. I'm sure few people know who those are (especially the winter lines), but given my ADD, I figured I'd get off track anyway! ;)

I've seen the Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment on TV (courtesy PBS), the Cadets live (along with some of the other

mainstays of DCI East, courtesy of living just an hour or so south of Allentown for a bit over a year).

I fall asleep too easily to not have some travelling tunes with me when I'm on the road.

Archived