CrazyBoards.org

• 2 weeks later...

This puzzles me. When I get major mood episodes, like the manias or depressions or psychosis that land me in the ER, I always get the worst migraines ever.

WTF?

This is so me,..Or rather was (knock on wood), as I haven't had an episode in 8 months. But anytime I became manic,..I always got the worst migraine(S) as the mania wore off. Which made it somewhat worse, bc sometimes the migraines were so bad I would have to take narcotics,..which have been known to set off mania's for me anyway.

DD went to one of the "elite" (I now say that with a grimmace) migraine doctors in the SW. Yep, he was "the" migraine neuro doctor to see. She's had migraines since age 6. In his 4 or 5 years of treatment for her he never discussed the propensity of MI related to migraines and, stupid me, I never did a lot of research on the topic since migraines run in my family. For the 9 months or so before she became psychotic, she was having daily migraines. During that time he started giving her things that I think are reasonably acceptable (i.e. depakote) but still stuff that concerned me - nothing worked but things got worse. He wanted to do some weird stuff that made me really nervous (i.e. botox injections in the forehead) and I wouldn't approve it. It was around this time that I began to worry about all these different meds being used and what might they be doing to her. Sorry, gone off on my tangent about meds and what they can do to you. Anyway, ironically, as soon as all this crap started, the migraines went away immediately and were gone for almost a year. Her new neurologist (yes, we dumped the expert because as soon as the psychosis started I saw panic on his face and he tried pawning us off on to other people) explained that it is believed that what causes the migraines (whether it be chemical imbalance, brain inperfections, hormones, neurotransmitter "dis"connects, etc.) are also involved with these other MI problems and that it's not unusual to find some form of MI with prolonged migraines. She also thought it was very understandable that the Abilify (which is what dd went on at first) controlled the migraines. Recently, in the last two months or so, dd has started to have headaches again although not full blown migraines. However, oddly, and this is where I think it applies to you, when she has the most intense headaches (and she says they feel like migraines but will go away with Alleve) she has the worse hallucinations. It's then that she'll have hallucinations popping up and disappearing all around her, over and over, different people, and they talk to her (which rarely happens with her - she either sees things or she hears things - not both together). We have another appt. with the neuro at the end of the month and this is going to be part of our conversations. I'm not sure "which" starts "what" but it definitely happens at my house.

Archived