CrazyBoards.org

Hey all,

I've got a couple of issues right now that I'm pretty stressed about.

The first is that I'm starting a graduate program in the fall and I am soooo insecure and nervous. It's a completely different field and I feel that it's going to be a huge challenge. I'm just so filled with self doubt. For years I stayed in a sort of "comfort zone" where I was not happy with what I was doing for a living, but it was comfortable. Now I'm taking a risk by pursuing something that I think might be better for me...but I'm risking failure. I've always been an "avoider" of risk, so this is really tough for me.

The second thing is that I think I want to stop drinking. I don't know if it's my medication (Celexa) but even just a couple of drinks drank very slowly over the course of several hours and the next day I feel "confused" and out of it. I don't understand why it has to be like this because I very much enjoying hanging out with friends and relaxing with a drink or two and I will be sad to just stop...but it doesn't feel right to me to feel such an effect the next day from alcohol. (Does anyone else experience this?? Could it be a side effect from the medication? Or do some people just process alcohol differently from others?)

FYI, I'm definitely not an alcholic, but I do feel that alcohol has a very strong affect on my mood and my memory even though I drink pretty moderately and not very often at all (maybe a couple times a month).

yeah, i'd say your body can't process both Celexa and alcohol very well. is one drink a problem? do you make sure to drink lots of water to prevent dehydration? perhaps try drinking other fluids to see if it ameliorates the symptoms.

i don't have any advice about the grad stuff except to cheer you on...you got more balls than i do. i'm a comfort zone person myself. i hope it works out; meanwhile, why waste a summer worrying about it? what will happen will happen. who knows, you might be fabulously happy.

Well congratulations on getting into grad school. An elite group indeed. I think its natural to be a bit nervous about grad school, or any different undertaking. But keep in mind, the school, and the applications committee wouldn't have admitted you if they didn't think you have a strong background with the ability to succeed.

Are you familiar with the school, the department? Have been assigned a major advisor? If not you would probably be more comfortable getting connected and familiar.

Drinking and MI? Sure cutting down is a great idea. Alcohol can definitely affect your moods and your sleep. Many people report that they are depressed or more emotionally reactive for two or three days after drinking. Alcohol is also a sleep thief. Although you may fall asleep more easily, alcohol disrupts the brain waves that make sleep restorative. So, you wake up tired and unrested, further disturbing moods.

Many of the meds we take alter the effects that alcohol has, often unpredictably, even from once day to the next.

I've found that alcohol likes me less and less with time. I often don't feel good even immediately after drinking, let alone any follow on effects. Part of why people drink is simply habit and the association of drinking with pleasant experiences like parties and dining. Simply having a glass in hand of your favorite mixer can satisfy the habit, and make you feel less self concious.

Good luck,

a.m.

Hello!!

I'm sure you'll be fine when you start your new graduate program. As AirMarshall said, they wouldn't have accepted you if they didn't think you would be able to make the grade. A new area will always seem risky at first, but I'm sure it will become a comfort zone once you have established yourself. Don't worry about it though. Once you get started, things will fall into place.

In terms of alcohol consumption, could you try going out with your friends and having non-alcoholic drinks? You could enjoy the social occasion without having to worry about what mood you will be in the next day. If feeling confused and out of it is alot stronger the day after drinking alcohol, it seems like it will be the alcohol that is affecting your moods and not the medication, though I don't know how long you've been taking them or the science behind it. I hope alcohol doesn't affect me too much. I've only been taking my medication for 10 days, so the pint of beer I had tonight shouldn't have too much effect, if any at all.

And don't worry, I never thought you were an alcoholic ;)

Take care!

You can do it, devon. Just get your meds are set up as well as possible and work on your fears in therapy. Prepare yourself mentally and you will be fine.

Similar to what A.M. said, you should visit the department if you can. If there's anything that you can get familar with or set up *before* school starts, that will help.

Hi Devon,

I used to drink a lot socially too before being prescribed Prozac and now I have skip it all together due to shall we say "unpredictable behaviour" !!!

I also found that drinking regularly completely stopped my meds from doing their job so for the first few weeks I may as well have not been taking them. When I stopped drinking I noticed a change in a couple of weeks, so although I do miss the social side of having a few beers with my mates, I also feel that i'd rather be staying in a bit more and not deppressed than going out and feeling like shit ;)

Also ive found that ive been doing other stuff that I wouldnt usually like rock climbing! Good luck with the Grad school - I graduated last year and I can tell you that the feeling of achivement is well worth the risk of leaving the 'safe zone'

The medication almost certainly is a big part of the change in how alcohol effects you. By all means, do reduce/quit drinking -- or at least decide on some limits for yourself. If your field is anything like mine, there's a fair bit of social drinking so it'll be good to know in advance what your limits are. This is a good thing to 'practice' before you get there.

The advice to find ways to make yourself comfortable in advance is a good one -- if it's possible. You don't mention if you have to move some distance for school. I also enthusiastically endorse the idea of having your medication, pdoc and therapist all organized and 'ready' for the start of school, and your friends and family too. It's going to be stressful, so you need to have your support system in place and ready.

You can do this! I know I'm not the only person around here who has made it through grad school, you can too.

Fiona

Can't say about grad school, but if it's something you like, that increases your chances of getting through.

I used to notice, before any psych meds, that if I had a beer a day, after about 4 days I'd feel logy. After starting Prozac I noticed that a bit of alcohol could make me pretty emotional, usually in a bad way. Especially the next morning, when, until taking morning med, everything looked like crap.

Archived