CrazyBoards.org

Fiery Car Crash from Hell---

Ditto what Libby said!

Two things:

1. No doubt the police took witness statements (or should have).

2. Go to the police station and ask for a copy of the report.
Give it a few days to get into the system, then go get a copy of the report.

Take care.

revlow

OK...so...I fail to see the problem, outside of getting a ticket for having no insurance, at worst. The most relevant thing I found under the Ohio Revised Code was:

http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/o...gh=1&2.0#LPHit1

I found nothing, anywhere, to indicate that it would be made out to be your fault. See, it's rather simple: if things are as you describe, then he failed to yield, and may have been driving recklessly to boot. If this is found to be the case, then no liability accrues to you, and HIS insurance company has to pay YOUR damages--car, and medical bills, and you may be able to get some $$ for pain and suffering--and without hacing to go to court. (I did that once 'pon a time...MRIs he;ped greatly)

So far, I'm confused about what you need to fight. According to the section of Code I linked, you may actually be able to get out of the no insurance ticket (!) but that's very iffy. If it was YOU that got a moving violation that would be the causation of the wreck, then yeah, fighting would be good. Please do tell if you got anything, or if he did. (Here in MT, the officer generally tells you what actions he's taken regarding all parties)

I have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about, having been in more wrecks than likely half this board put together (but nothing so far this year--knock on wood!), and my ex[erience says there's likely little to worry about here. (Actually, reminds me of one wreck I got in--the guy was gonna fight the ticket and my mom was all worried that he'd win and my losses wouldn't be covered. He decided not to fight it shortly before the trial date. Told ya ma!)

So please do give a little more info; hopefully I can put your mind at ease.

Glad you're ok Loon. Don't worry about it, they ALWAYS try to make it out to be your fault. The last accident I was involved in, this lady rear-ended me at a red light. I watched her do it out my rearview mirror. She was looking down at her floorboard. After she hit me, she got out her car, came to my window and said..."Did you have your car in reverse". I screamed at her "Yeah, lady, every time I get to a red light, I throw it into reverse. Dumbass!"

The police report and witnesses will tell the truth. Don't worry about this asshole.

Croix

I was in a similar crash sans fire. My car was totalled, and me too nearly except thank God, I reflexively braked HARD so the drivers side impact was four feet in front of my door.

He turned left in front of me while I moseyed through a green light going at normal speed. I couldn't beliveve it when his huge van suddenly turned from parked in the turning lane to smack in front of my little Protege!

At first he was very shaken, saying: "I can't believe I did that! I...I don't know what got into me. I somehow thought it had just been green long enough and I turned." lol. "Good thing you were going the speed limit or..." He muttered to himself - and everyone else - about how he was losing his mind, etc.

The only thing that really bugged me (besides having my car destroyed and nearly being killed) was this exchange:

Me: "I don't think it can be fixed, Nope, too badly damaged. And examing the crushed hood and pt of impact, I thought of my close call, and shivered. "Good thing I braked when I did".

He: "I'll say! " (He'f come over to see). "My front end would have been ruined!" ;)

Anyhow, sure enough he turned around later (or his insurance company did). They tried to blame me. Good thing for eyewitnesses all right! He didn't have a chance. Here's hoping the same for you, Loon!

It sounds like a nightmare. And just what you needed, right? I can't believe all the close calls you've been having lately. :) BE CAREFUL!!

rt

Thank you for that info on the Ohio code. I was just thinking that it would all be considered my fault, because I was driving with no insurance. But it was his speeding and his running a red light that smashed me 35-40 feet, spinning, air bags deploying, and to the ER.

He was driving recklessly, and I had the right of way.

Well damn, I guess that beats out any of my wrecks. Only time I ever got T-boned I just gor shoved maybe 20 feet. Although, between the street sign and the tree, there was some braking action...

Glad to hear it's all his fault. You're gonna get all your shit replaced, heh. Advice: don't be his insurance company's sucker. Play hardball. If the car was totalled (I'm sure it was) they may try to lowball you on its value. If you have any medical bills resulting, though you pay up front, they must reimburse. If Ohio insurance rules are anything like MT, they must reimburse you for transportation until the claim is settled, or at least until they make an initial good faith offer. Again, if you say rent a car, you mpay up front but get reimbursed. If you drive someone else's car--you may still get money. (Last time I did that, they called it something like "reimbursement for the inconvenience")

If you don't feel up to tangling with them (and oh, they can be such assholes when you turn down an initial offer!) find someone who is. You don't necessarily need a lawyer, just someone who's willing to take 'em to the mat. (That's what I keep my dad around for) Good luck with all this; God knows you're due!

--CNS, Master Crasher who's due for another

Nov. 2005

I was stopped at a red light when It turned green.

I was less than a block from my work. When a "FUCKING" Lincoln Continental ran a red light and hit my car which was thrown into another intersection. My SUV Rolled 5 times it was gone. Glass and Metal everywhere!!

Lucky for me it was a busy rush hour and Fed Exp was across the street so I had tons of witness. I came out of it without a scratch on me. The firemen pulled me up and out through the drivers window. So in my black spiked high heels and pencil skirt they could not believe I was ok. But thank the Lord I was!!

Anywho! It makes you appreciate life.

Side Note; Then got asked out by the Tow truck driver as well as one of the paramedic. Ahhhh!!

and since my SUV was fully loaded my insurance Co. (Who I Love now) gave me a hefty sum also because it was a 2005. So I got a nice hot sports car instead of SUV!

Edit: My Insurance Co. Had a Rental Car for me with a hour of the crash!!! I love them!

wow, thank god you're okay. car accidents are always so scary, even if everyone is ok. i know next to nothing about this, but it seems to me that if he ran a red and hit you, its pretty clear-cut that its his fault. hopefully the cops did their job and talked to witnesses and whatnot. i think the whole "driving without insurance" thing is a different category. i dont know though. let us know. did they give you any fun painkillers at the ER? hehehe, just kidding...

...hannah

Latin Girl...what good fortune that you have a good ins co.

Many years ago I was insured by what was supposed to be the best company around then (you know, like a good neighbor?) when within the space of a few years I got nailed twice by uninsured drivers. Unlike Loon's situation, definitely *their* fault; one ran a red light, the other rear-ended me. And I had medical problems from both.

Long ridiculous stories about these two accidents, but the bottom line is that my ins co. fought me tooth-and-nail on my uninsured motorists coverage. One time even claimed I'd "signed a waiver" against having it???! The other time I ended up having a decent "bad faith" case against the company itself. Another long story, suffice it to say they dicked around and screwed me over. Then they said, well, the time limit is up (I'd been calling them every week to get the right info; they'd been giving me the run around), and laughed in my face. All that took was a letter from a lawyer and the check for my medical expenses was in the mail the next day.

"Good Neighbor", my ass.

Revlow,

That just sucks! I am so sorry.

I do like my Insurance Co. I don't know if I Can mention it on here.

Also, the girl who hit me

1. Did not have a Drivers License

2. No Insurance

3. Not even her car.

My Insurance Agent told me they were going to go after her big time. My Insurance Agent even called me during the Thanksgiving Holiday to assure me my check was in the mail.

Latin Girl...what good fortune that you have a good ins co.

Many years ago I was insured by what was supposed to be the best company around then (you know, like a good neighbor?) when within the space of a few years I got nailed twice by uninsured drivers. Unlike Loon's situation, definitely *their* fault; one ran a red light, the other rear-ended me. And I had medical problems from both.

Long ridiculous stories about these two accidents, but the bottom line is that my ins co. fought me tooth-and-nail on my uninsured motorists coverage. One time even claimed I'd "signed a waiver" against having it???! The other time I ended up having a decent "bad faith" case against the company itself. Another long story, suffice it to say they dicked around and screwed me over. Then they said, well, the time limit is up (I'd been calling them every week to get the right info; they'd been giving me the run around), and laughed in my face. All that took was a letter from a lawyer and the check for my medical expenses was in the mail the next day.

"Good Neighbor", my ass.

That's AWFUL, revlow. Car accidents are always traumatic but when you get screwed twice (the second time about your claim) it's So much harder. :) .

The funny peculiar thing about your story (worth thinking about in general) is that I use the same company. My experience has been the exact opposite.

They've bent over backwards to give me the most possible for each claim, the most extended rrentals, etc. The agents have patiently explained every detail when I wanted more info about my coverage after an accident and overall (including when - as is so often the case - I want things repeated, owing to brain fog. Man, am I a tough client! Questions, questions and more questions!.)

Worse still (hurts to admit this), but I've had a trillion claims. Some other peope's fault, all too many, my own. I specialize in parking lot accidents, but I've done some heavy damage to my car elsewhere. Inattention mostly. (Say, I really DO have adult ADD. Must remember to tell my prdoc about all his).

I HATE to call them to report another stupid accident. Not to metnion dozens of jump starts from leaving my lights on (my policy covers it). Yet, my agent' s office, his wife really (she's employee #1), never does anything but reassure me. Not even by the slightest change of her tone of voice, does she indicate I'm a jerk and an insurance company's worst nightmare (which, of course, I am. :embarassed: . I've cost them far more than the premiums).

I got one of the last "guaranteed renewable" policies they issued (in my paranoid moments, I feel like my history was pulled up in a Board meeting somewhere).

Point is, I think the agent and not the company, has MUCH to do with how claims are handled. I've had a policy with this agency since I came back to the US (that's 25 years). X too and now son and X's new wife. They pride themselves on old fashioned customer service (and hoped, they said, to win customer loyalty by providing it). That's what they said on the first day.

Bullshit! I thought. They had a lot of nerve expecting a customer to pay more for a policy just for a smile and a Christmas card.

No more! They mean it. They've gone to bat for me more than once.

Latin GIrl,

So in my black spiked high heels and pencil skirt

;) That's JUST how I pictured you!. No wonder you got asked out on two dates after your big collision! (Not that I would in the same get-up).

rt

Heya Loon,

Um.

Okay no help here on the insurance front.

We have this weird system here which I won't get into.

I just want to say.

When I'm mixed (halfway there today I think) I want to die in a fiery collision and take you all with me.

Your story helps me fight that urge.

Thank you.

--ncc--

Archived