CrazyBoards.org

How many of you think that your depression is mainly organic

I've always thought that mine was organic, as I can never put my finger on what is wrong in my life. In fact, my life is perfect. There is nothing that I want for apart from a break from depression. When I was in hospital, a group of us decided to talk about why we were in (not normally the done thing), and many of the depression cases had damn good reason to feel depressed. Some of them had been through hell.

It made me feel selfish because nothing really awful has ever happened to me.

What do you guys think?

Hello!!

I would say mine is situational. Under different circumstances, I'd be happy or at least happier. I don't necessarily mean my home life, but life in general. If I had friends, had done things, and developed at the stages most people do, I doubt I would have depression. Having said that, I think genetics definitely plays a part, however small, in everyone's depression. Some people are more sensitive and prone to these feelings than others in my opinion.

Definitely organic for me. Right now my life sucks, but I was suicidal when I had friends, family, a full time job with benefits, and a significant other. I had NO reason to be suicidal, I just was.

btw, this would make a good poll.

It's so hard to answer that.

For sure, situations play a role.

I remember when I was 18, watching my friends laugh their faces off at stupid shit, while I just felt like I was dying inside... Maybe it's because I needed better friends? Maybe it's because of some chemical shit in my brain, I don't know. Seems like there's always been something situational bringing me down, as long as I can remember... but again, I don't deny that brain chemistry probably plays a role. Some people seem to be able to just let everything slide off their back, not me. I know there's something unique about how situations effect me. I'm super-sensitive to emotions. Pain, wonder, excitement, sadness, it's all amplified.

Organtic..they sent me to a shrink..she said "I wish I had your life..you obviously aren't going to talk your way out of this..here are some more pills..

I DO have a good life now..I had a HORRIFIC childhood..but I am sooo over THAT..sucks that my brain seems to have turned on me ;)

My hubby's depression was purely organic. So were his manias.

When he was depressed, life was good with minor stress. During one manic episode he SHOULD have been depressed.

Actually, this made things easier for his doctors.

"Who killed Cock Robin? "

I began with a genetic predisposition to depression. Stressors made it organic. It didn't have to. I'm sure life events change brain chemistry. It can also work the other way around (it's a lot harder, though).

First, I drew a bad ticket in the parent lottery, especially given ME (personality, intellect, gender. birth order). I became more depressed. With different parents, I might never have become depressed - at least, not very.

But I did. And THAT became organic. My life could still have gone either way.

Then I made a really, really bad decision about who to marry.

However, I would NEVER even have become involved with this man let alone married him, if I hadn't been damaged before (with little or no control over it).

OR if I'd had had a really in-tune, dedicated therapist, I wouldn't have gotten involved with him either (or at least I'd have broken up with him when he began threatening suicide and - perversely - become emotionally abusive at the same time.

Even then, I could have gotten out of this damned mess, if I hadn't gotten pregnant accidentally.

And that too could have been managed if only X hadn't shaken our newborn baby and caused him serious brain damage.

Everything gets muddy here: heredity, situation and brain chemistry come together

For me it's definitely both. But I can't say had I not been victimized as a kid if I would have developed depression.

It's like having a propensity for alcoholism but never taking a drink. Are you an alcoholic?

Definitely both.

I don't think it matters anymore except for the purpose of bringing a new psych healer up to speed. I deal with the symptoms. They broke it, I gotta fix it. Oh well.

Suze

organic.

genetics - whoa ...

idyllic childhood if you saw it from the outside. why should a six year old be suicidal?

i get depressed the moment i stop taking the drugs. should have been medicated much earlier.

Definitely BOTH for me. Rotten childhood (emotionally abused by my mother who singled me out from the others and whereas she treated the other siblings as a normal mother would, she could be a mean b*tch to me a lot of the time and would put me last all the time and give me the least (be it food, clothes, birthday presents etc). She once let slip that she'd always wanted 2 girls and 2 boys and I was the third girl, so I was doomed from the day I was born.

Later on when we were teenagers she was hospitalised for a mental illness (probably depression) which was blamed on me, well all I tried to do in my childhood was get my mother's love and approval that she showed the others but not to me. I wasn't a bad child, I just didn't feel wanted at home so I went to my friends places after school, she called it disobedience. It took me a while of growing up to realise she was never going to change, even now I notice it in the rare times that I visit them, the subtle ways she probably doesnt even realise she's putting me last. It's out of self protection that I have cut off most contact with my mother. I dont deserve and don't need that kind of crap in my life as an adult.

Getting back to the point of this thread, I havent had a very nice life and depression rearing it's ugly head but even when things are good (only in the last few month) I can still feel like total crap when I should be feeling great. Certain situations are a big trigger (when certain things in life make me feel unwanted or when I get a raw deal, when things stack up against me). I can still slip into depression when I'm on holiday so it's not entirely situational.

That's my story (well some of it).

Hello!!

I felt like posting again. I hope that is OK.

I think organic and situational play a role in everyone's depression. I remember somebody posted, in another topic, that:

"Depression loads the gun, Environment pulls the trigger"

I think this is true in 99% of cases. Some people will more easily develop depression due to environmental situations, whereas for other people, it would take a lot more stress and strain in their lives to bring them to the same level. Some people may never develop it no matter how horrible their lives may seem. It all depends on the individual.

For me (even though I already posted a reply to this), I am very sensitive and require affection sometimes. Various family members, all on my Dad's side (as far as I know) have had or have depression too.

I think organically I am more prone to it than other people, but that my environment caused it to happen.

If that makes any sense...... :embarassed:

----------

Sorry to hear about your story, Angeljasmine. That must have been so tough for you having your mother treat you differently. I'm glad you're doing what you think is best for you.

The same is for everyone else. None of us deserve to be like this..... (I'll stop before I get emotional and sad - yes, I'm a man ;) lol)

Angeljasmine,

I read these stories here and I get so mad at the lousy - even sadistic - parenting! (not that becoming a parent isn't among other things, one of the most humbling experiences on earth. :embarassed: )

All this is a prelude to saying I WANT TO STRANGLE YOUR MOTHER.

(But that's just me...)

rt

me too, Angeljasmine. That was so heartless and cruel. Good for you for getting yourself out of there. That was so mean!

Anyone remember the movie Prince of Tides w/ Robert Redford and Barbra Streisand? All I really remember from it was this scene where Redford's mother told him as a child that she loved him best, and he never forgot it, and always felt guilty for being the chosen one. Then as an adult he hears that his mom told his sister the same thing--that she was the favorite. If I remember it right, it didn't bother his sister at all.

That always struck me as an example of how depression often just depends on the individual. I know this is a simplistic example, but one remark hits one child one way, another child very differently.

lily

Archived