CrazyBoards.org

Major depression is due to...  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What's the source of your depression?

• Organic (born with it)
    • Situational (what's happening in my life)

I'm scared to be the only one to click "Situational" :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

I don't know if it is situational. It feels so much like it is, but I don't know how much of it is due to circumstances :) :embarassed: My Grandad (Dad's Dad) had it, and so have various relatives on my Dad's side of the family.

Maybe it is organic to a certain extent and situational to a certain extent, but I feel it is more situational ;):cussing: :embarassed:

I'm scared to be the only one to click "Situational" :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

I don't know if it is situational. It feels so much like it is, but I don't know how much of it is due to circumstances :) :embarassed: My Grandad (Dad's Dad) had it, and so have various relatives on my Dad's side of the family.

Maybe it is organic to a certain extent and situational to a certain extent, but I feel it is more situational ;):cussing: :embarassed:

No Matter.

We're here for you.

Biopsychosocial model (gene-diathesis). I think that if some people DONT have a biological factor, which is entirely plausible, that I'm not one of those people. But it's almost never entirely one cause --> one effect.

I think that if some people DONT have a biological factor, which is entirely plausible, that I'm not one of those people. But it's almost never entirely one cause --> one effect.

I'll agree with that. I think it's sort of both, no matter what has happened to you. because the same horrible thing can happen to two people who haven't ever been depressed and one can be majorly affected and one only minorly affected. I think some people just handle stress better than others, but probably most of those people aren't chronically mentally ill unless something really happens. (does that make sense?)

that said, I think I'm still almost all biological. my mom, grandmother, and great-grandfather have all had degrees of depression and anxiety, and my grandmother and her father have both tried to kill themselves (my great-grandfather succeeded before I was born.) so, all it took for me to get depressed was some bad friendships.

I think it's sort of both, no matter what has happened to you. because the same horrible thing can happen to two people who haven't ever been depressed and one can be majorly affected and one only minorly affected. I think some people just handle stress better than others, but probably most of those people aren't chronically mentally ill unless something really happens. (does that make sense?)

And I'll agree with that.

Ultimately I think it's a really difficult question that requires a lot of introspection to even begin to answer. There are so many "hidden motivators" to convince yourself that your illness is biological or circumstantial... it's easy to talk yourself into an explanation that isn't quite the truth.

If there is necessarily one "truth" to any of this.

If someone is diagnosed bipolar or schizophrenic, are they ever asked whether they think there mental illness is biological or situational?

Maybe I get defensive when I feel that people think less of me or that I have a flaw in my character because I have "only" depression.........of course that is depression with pyschotic features........or maybe I make those up to cover my character flaw.........

I am sorry........... I guess I have been fighting this illness for sooooo long that I just get annoyed with the idea that I could change my outlook if I just "wanted to enough"

I think that is one reason that suicide is so inviting at times.............The battle has been soo long, and I am so tired, of trying to make myself FEEL.........good, bad indifferent.............anything. I just want to feel again......

You are so right, Zelda - it's insulting. My son recently went on antidepressants and our pharmacist was talking to me about dd's meds....she commented that J was "just on antidepressants". I asked her what she meant - it's a big deal to me - and she shrugged and said "everyone is on them" as if people use it like candy. I DON'T THINK SO!

sorry to post twice. (I don't know exactly why, but I feel bad...) but I have something valid to say, I think.

If someone is diagnosed bipolar or schizophrenic, are they ever asked whether they think there mental illness is biological or situational?

well... I understand the meaning behind your question (and I'm pretty sure it's rhetorical, forgive me) but I think there's actually a reason for that. most people don't turn psychotic or have mood swings when something bad happens (nor do people get depressed/psychotic/mood-swingy when good things happen). I think most people are a little "depressed" at one point or another when bad stuff happens, that's also probably why it's discounted by so many people. you know, for someone who's not struggling to get through this black ocean of shit called depression, couldn't you see it making sense that you should just be able to step out of the bad stuff and feel better? "normal" people can. ...that said, I fully agree with you. I hate when people discount the fact that I'm depressed. (also like you and the "with psychotic features" I tend to focus on the fact that I have depression AND anxiety.) I think it's hard for them to understand the concept of being sad all the time.

she shrugged and said "everyone is on them" as if people use it like candy.

it almost seems to me like everyone /is/ on them, though. like, even people who maybe shouldn't be. medicine is becoming the first line of attack these days (or so I see it) whereas some people probably could do just as well with a good therapist and a lack of meds. and it sucks, especially with the bad name that people give to the common antidepressants. a lot of people are on meds that shouldn't be, and they are being too widely prescribed. they should be a big deal to people, especially people like me (maybe your son, too, I don't know) and others who need these medicines to stay alive.

mostly I'm just agreeing with you (both of you). it kind of strikes a chord with me, I'm sorry.

Hi, Libby:

You need another choice on your poll, for med-induced depression. There are a few of us out there with depressions from medications we take. So, maybe you would consider it situational, except that you can't change the situation. I mean, I can't stop taking the other meds.

Hmmm....

olga

I think it's sort of both, no matter what has happened to you. because the same horrible thing can happen to two people who haven't ever been depressed and one can be majorly affected and one only minorly affected. I think some people just handle stress better than others, but probably most of those people aren't chronically mentally ill unless something really happens. (does that make sense?)

And I'll agree with that.

Ultimately I think it's a really difficult question that requires a lot of introspection to even begin to answer. There are so many "hidden motivators" to convince yourself that your illness is biological or circumstantial... it's easy to talk yourself into an explanation that isn't quite the truth.

If there is necessarily one "truth" to any of this.

Hey, refer the Short Straw thread in Squishy Stuff forum for one direction reseach explains it.

Having said that, I'll just note that in Psychology that's the big theoretical debate - what they call State vs Trait (general consensus is what they call a two-factor model - basically what most of you are saying). And just to be learned sounding :cussing: I'll mix in so-called Attribution Theory - how people view motivation, their own and others'. There's a wide range here. At one extreme, some people see themselves as choosing (and having an internal "locus of control"); others see themselves as just reacting.

The ones who see themselves as just reacting, tend to see others as choosing (WE'RE mad because that idiot cut us off in rush hour traffic, but HE did it because he's an SOB).

(Not surprisingly, the ones who see themselves as in control are happier! But is that orientation itself inborn or acquired? :) )

I love this stuff. Reading these boards, is enough to get the same feeling USERNAME brought up in his thread - some people have had such tortured childhoods, it's hard to imagine anybody coming out without being a bit bent (if not a lot). Others speak of so much mental illness in their families, it sure looks inherited.

...OTOH who raised them and HOW? (No wonder researchers rely on twin studies).

BTW, the psychiatric view (about depression anyhow), is reflected right in the DSMIV nosology: "Reactive vs endogenous depression".

Me, I feel like I have a reactive depression as in (can't remember whose quote this is): "I''m not depressed. I've just been in a really, really bad mood for forty years". ;)

rt

it almost seems to me like everyone /is/ on them, though. like, even people who maybe shouldn't be. medicine is becoming the first line of attack these days (or so I see it) whereas some people probably could do just as well with a good therapist and a lack of meds. and it sucks, especially with the bad name that people give to the common antidepressants. a lot of people are on meds that shouldn't be, and they are being too widely prescribed. they should be a big deal to people, especially people like me (maybe your son, too, I don't know) and others who need these medicines to stay alive.

It pisses me off, I just HATE that zoloft commercial with the blobby ball, recommending the drug if you're not the life of the party. Or, the "I feel kinda sad" routine. It's bullshit. My depression is organic, I've had a lifelong struggle with it, and I've had many, many times painfully curled up for weeks wanting to die. Well, guess I'm not the life of the party, eh?

You are so right, Zelda - it's insulting. My son recently went on antidepressants and our pharmacist was talking to me about dd's meds....she commented that J was "just on antidepressants". I asked her what she meant - it's a big deal to me - and she shrugged and said "everyone is on them" as if people use it like candy. I DON'T THINK SO!

The thing is, DMF (and I can identify here a bit, I think), maybe part of this reaction is legitimate. Not the dismissal, no, of course not.

But comparing maladies - I think so.

Which do you think has a more disabling and worrisome problem overall - your daughter with schizophrenia or your son with depression? (granted there's a huge range of disability with each "label"). And I think too that antipsychotic medications have more serious side effects. than antidepressants. ;)

I sure feel that relatively speaking (this is on average), it's easier to overcome depression than sz (and many people with sz have depression as a secondary disorder but not not the reverse. Some few depressives have psychosis true, but that's not quite the same as sz anyhow.

rt

EDIT: The stigma is different too. Therapists have several times "Downgraded" the written DSMIV label of my son with sz to Major Depressive Disorder or even Psychosis NOS. This was to make it "look" better on forms and for the record.

rt- the quote is from steel magnolias.

i'm in such agreement with everyone about the overuse of ad's. its like it trivializes the reality of true Depression with a capital D! if someone says oh i'm on prozac too!! like we have this cute thing in common- i'm sorry- years in and out of hospitals and unable to get out of bed or work or...and if you think its all about little smiling bouncing eggs ( that commercial really gets to me too)-you are so clueless. sometimes i wish i had a way to make people understand that depression is not like the common cold of sadness ,but a potentially fatal and crippling disease that is anything but trivial! ugh this topic makes me so mad!!!

btw- biological predisposition to react. sometimes just happens sometimes in response to events.

I'm an American living in Japan, so I didn't see the TV ads for a long while. I'm one of the folks who was depressed for years and years, and dutifully went to years and years of therapy, and nothing got better.

Finally a doc here said, "hey, you're depressed. why don't we lift the depression first, then work on your myriad problems and personality quirks?" That's when the lights finally went on.

I was afraid to mention it to my family and friends, but when I did, everyone was like, "oh yeah, I'm on AD's too. Want some Xanax?"

It was both comforting and troubling at the same time.

lily

Archived