CrazyBoards.org

It seems Cognitive is more or less left in the dark. especially after treating psychosis, when cognitive seems to latch on to it. so for many: treat psychosis you treat cognitive.

what if that isn't the case? i need help with cognitive. especially disorganized thinking and poor memory.

can memory get worse when schiz. is in the picture? if it does, and you treat the psychosis/schiz symptoms, does it (the memory) ever come back? will i have this thought process forever? i forget what i just did and before i mistook another paperclip for a cup . the words, the meaning. it all comes together and forms a big ball-o-mess. this is that, and it's not suppossed to be.

it just seems, that the 11 years i have had schizophrenia, my brain is just fried. not the psychosis though, that didnt stick for me. the poor memory, difficulty understanding, expressing and thinking, and the disorganized stuff.

will i ever be okay?

your favorite monster

The prognosis for cognitive stuff largely depends on the finer points of your dx. Has your pdoc given you a fine tuned dx of the sz component of your szA?

The broad prognosis for the general sz population is that cognitive deficts and disorganised symptoms reach a point where they plateau and don't get any worse. But this isn't always true, generally for disorganised sz, the prognosis is bad: for paranoid sz rthe prognosis is good but that doesn't always hold.

If you have say a deficit form of paranoid sz then the prognosis is also bad, or if you havve a non-deficit disorganised sz dx then you may get lucky...is this making sense?

Have you had any brain imaging done? Even a simpple MRI can show up somethings like enlarged vetricles or an enlarged cerebellum which would be consistent with a bad prognisis or it may show up normal, inferring that your problem is merely chemical imbalances inferring a good prognosis.

Bare in mind the cognitive stuff of sz is just recently being truly acknowledged and the research is hazy so even fancy brain scans like PETs cann't give a definate answer to your question....

So basically in general they plateau and don't get any worse after the first five years but as the saying goes "there seems to be as many forms of schizophrenia as there are cases".

What continent do you live on? Are you situated near a major university? Here in Australia depending where you are you can volunteer for studies and you get free scans including MRIs and PETs and stuff (but they are hard to get in to here) which might give you a better indicator.

I read a depressing article the other week suggesting that given the case of a high achiever premorbidity that suffered from cognitive deficits as a result of sz the best course of action is not to attempt to get that individual back to functioning to the premorbid level but rather to make the levels of executive functioning easier. That is to say get a less demanding job etc... how thoroughly depressing!

Dan

"the best course of action is not to attempt to get that individual back to functioning to the premorbid level but rather to make the levels of executive functioning easier"?

That is depressing. Kinda saying, "hey! sorry, you're stuck this way...here's crappy job". Yummy.

Thank you though, for your thoughts and info. I get most of it, I'm just not registering what you mean by "deficit form" and "non-deficit form" of the types?

I was told I fall more into the "disorganized" category. Althugh, I do have hallucinations present. So basically, I dont know. It seems they aren'treally to specific with schizo "affectives". Which is odd for me because my "affective" takes the back seat.

For me, having childhood schiz as a youngester, I just feel hopeless. Now having this as an adult, it's just...different story. Back on track!

I am actually planned to see a neurologist soon to get an eeg to see if I'm having seizures; so I plan to bring up this cognitive stuff since I seem to be getting worse instead of "plateauing". Maybe he can throw in an mri and some fun games.

As for the volunteering for studies, sounds like a good idea. Im in the USA, down here south, and I might be able to check them out. Maybe get some fee tests and whatnot.

Thanks again, Dan!

Guest Guest

Studies are pretty much bullshit, at least the ones I've been in (both were at UNC too, and they were major ones as well). I was part of the PRIME study and one dealing with MRI's and I wasn't let in on my results of any of the tests or given specific diagnosis' or really learned anything surprisingly new about schizophrenia- it seemed that all those involved in the study only cared about the research as a whole and they thought as long as I got my money then they could use me as their own personal guinea pig. Of course I knew all that when I signed up for the study, but I was a bit surprised at how hesitant everyone was to really help me as a person, rather they just wanted to gain new information on this disease.

Some of the AAPs help treat the negative symptoms of schizphrenia as well as the positive symptoms. In other words, treatment of confusion and disordered thought should be just as high a priority as hallucinations and delusions.

I take abilify and seroquel and without doubt these meds help my concentration and thought process as well as helping with any other symptoms.

I was on both Abilify and Seroquel in the past, and neither did much for the negative/cognitive/disorganized symptoms. Granted, I had less hallucinations and almost zero delusions (not counting paranoia).

So I pretty much gave up on APs for the negative stuff. Is it true some anti-convulsants help with negative?

Is it true some anti-convulsants help with negative?

I take epilim, which is a valproate anti convulsant for seizures and if anything it makes disorganisation and poverty of thought worse.

Archived