CrazyBoards.org

Dysthemia, Dysphoria dys-enchanted with the whole bucket of poo

;) Why??? whywhywhywhywhywhy? Like on top of PTSD, Panic disorder, GAD, Shizo-effective disorder (whatever...) BPS and a number of really SWELL phobias. :cussing: I drink, I cut, I burn I stick needles in myself and in general tip back and forth between oblivian and endlessly trecking through the plain of unpleasant mood storms and flashbacks. AT THE moment I don't feel like offing myself, but just barely. . I'm a bitter, tough little rat and I want to survive this crap.

My three pdocs toss around Dysthemia and dysphoria like beach balls, I've been around the net trying to figure out the diffy ( no, I don't REALLY have gender dysphoria...can you say sweaty balls????....ick) I'm tired of being franticly, anxiously, theatrically depressed and wanting to chew my own head off just to get away... I feel like a bad 80's gloom band. Anyone relate???

:) :embarassed: :wtf::cussing:

In truth, can anyone tell me the difference in cavalierly tossed terms?

In truth, can anyone tell me the difference in cavalierly tossed terms?

Panz -

Dysphoria appears to be used much more loosely than Dysthymia. Dysphoria stems from the Greek dusphoriā, "distress", from dusphoros, "hard to bear". In most uses, dysphoria connotes anxiety, stress, disquiet, and agitation in addition to depression, and was defined by one source as simply "an unpleasant mood". As a technical term, it appears to be primarily associated with Bipolar disorders, and is used in conjunction with more familiar BP language, as: Dysphoric Mania.

Dysthymia, from Greek dusthūmiā, "despondency", is fairly specifically used to describe a condition similar to or perhaps akin to Major Depressive Disorder (unipolar disorder), but of much longer duration and less intensity, like a low-grade gloom that lasts and lasts and lasts.

As a simplified comparison, Eeyore is always Dysthymic. Rabbit is usually Dysphoric.

(Also, Tigger in manic, Owl is delusional, Piglet is GAD with a touch of OCD, Kanga and Roo are a textbook case of Munchausen By Proxy syndrome, and Pooh is classic ADD with a honey fixation. Christopher Robin, of course, is simply out of touch with reality.)

Hope that helps a little bit.

Cerberus

I'm a bitter, tough little rat and I want to survive this crap.

That is a really COOL way to think, in my opinion. Staying tough is an excellent attitude. I hope to emulate your attitude.

I don't have any medical advice, I'm sorry, I would just say don't worry about tossed around terms. You are how you are and you don't necessarily need a label to pinpoint things.

Take care!!

P.S. I find Pooh Bear and friends really cute. I've watched their films before :embarassed: ;)

Archived