CrazyBoards.org

Yet another "Does this sound like ADD?" thread

First of all, I am schizoaffective bipolar type, so I know a lot of my concentration problems could be explained by that diagnosis. It's really starting to bother me, though, this lack of interest and concentration. Ever since my psychotic break, I can't read anymore, I can't watch TV or movies, and I can't play video games. The only times I can do any of those things is if I am REALLY interested in them, and then I go overboard and lose myself in the book, game, show, etc. That is rare, however. All I do, literally, is surf the web, sleep and work. It's all I can do.

I am going back to school this summer. I am taking one english class on fiction, so I know it's going to be a lot of reading and class participation, but I don't know if I can keep up with the material. This is starting to piss me off, because I love to read, and if I can't, there is no point in me going back to school. And if I can't go back to college, I'm basically fucked.

;)

Hi Ben,

A question: does the lack of interest and concentration happend in other, day-to-day stuff too?

Like, I can't concentrate in the morning. I have the same damn routine every day, but can't haul my rear out of the house unless I put on my watch, set a timer, and write the entire schedule out on a white board.

If I want to, say fill up the cat food container with the bag of cat food that arrived today, I go to the front door to get the bag, then figure I should fold up the cardboard box it came in and put it outside on the veranda, which reminds me that I should dust off the clothes hanger on the veranda so my towels don't get dirty when I hang them on it, which reminds me I really should throw in a load of clothes before I leave, but before I do that I should unpack my suitcase from my recent business trip to get all the dirty clothes out of there, and when I do that I see the cell phone should be plugged in, so I go to plug it in and see my bed isn't made, so I should probably do that but to do that I have to fold up the clean laundry that's sitting there, which reminds me...

This is my flavor of ADD. I know what you mean about not being able to get into something, but then getting in and not being able to get out once you're there. A class might be good because it forces you into a structure (I love structure; I sometimes wish I could live in a (nice) jail, where they regulate every moment of my day); but then you still need to force yourself to get into the books.

Anyway, my point being that ADD affects all areas of your life, not just TV/books/games. How are you doing in other areas?

lily

Guest FrannyNZooey

Ben and Lily, just wanted to say I can so relate with both of your stories.

I love to read, yet this past year have not been able to finish this one book. Last book I really got into, was last summer, 'The Sound and the Fury". Favorite chapter was Quentin's, which goes to show the pace of my mind.

And as for suitcases, did not unpack my two since arriving home from trip late Sunday night, well did take out dirty laundry, not a stinky poo here, and did laundry, which lay on bed till nighttime. Would not sleep wrinkling clothes up.

I want to keep them packed till I get to pack them again, so some reason there, well my reasoning.

Each chore seems to take forever as if I am robotic, then it does lead to another until I never sit down.

When I do sit down, I never even open that book, or turn TV on, I just think?

Well I posted here, that is better than I been lately, use to post alot, journal so on own thread, now that is like the reading, TV, all such work?

Aly

• 3 weeks later...

Schizoaffective is a psychotic illness, and in many (most?) cases psychosis includes many cognitive/executive problems, including poor memory, attention, motivation, disorganized thinking and such. So-called negative and cognitive symptoms. It sucks bigtime (well, there's no word to describe how much it sucks), especially if you were high functioning before the disease started.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, I am schizoaffective bipolar type, so I know a lot of my concentration problems could be explained by that diagnosis. It's really starting to bother me, though, this lack of interest and concentration. Ever since my psychotic break, I can't read anymore, I can't watch TV or movies, and I can't play video games. The only times I can do any of those things is if I am REALLY interested in them, and then I go overboard and lose myself in the book, game, show, etc. That is rare, however. All I do, literally, is surf the web, sleep and work. It's all I can do.

I am going back to school this summer. I am taking one english class on fiction, so I know it's going to be a lot of reading and class participation, but I don't know if I can keep up with the material. This is starting to piss me off, because I love to read, and if I can't, there is no point in me going back to school. And if I can't go back to college, I'm basically fucked.

;)

Hi, ben.

I hope you have a really cool doctor, because you need to convince him to give you concerta or something like it. Or atleast provigil. I have the same problem you have and taking ritalin has helped me much and made me much more outgoing!! Otherwise you could drink coffee and maybe that will help. I hope this helps and you have a cool doctor! If you want to talk email me!

Archived