CrazyBoards.org

CRANKY

Guest Elle Woods

So I've posted here on and off, but I seem to have forgotten my login. But anyway-- I've come to think that I am dysthymic (with some anxiety issues as well, but that's another post). Tried therapy for awhile, then did Zoloft (hated, made me zombie-like) and finally, Celexa (no side effects or any effects at all, really!).

I've since gone off of meds since they weren't doing much and in all honesty, I'm not THAT down-- more like, just not happy. I do work out regularly and that helps to an extent, but I still find that I'm really *bitchy* and irritable all the time. Even to my mom, who's just a nice & happy person and does so much for me. I hate it, and I always feel guilty after, but it's like a lot of the time I just want to be left alone. How can I stop being like this? Any tips from those who've been there?

Bitchy and irritable all the time could mean manic, the other end of the bipolar spectrum. Not necessarily depression. So AD's could be the wrong drug for you. They sure were for me. Got myself on a mood stabilizer, now I'm right as rain. Haven't been called a bitch by my family in a couple of months.

In the meantime, alone time was the best thing for me. Anything to calm down and destress. Best advice I can give you with the limited knowledge I have on the whole subject.

Don't give up. Theres help out there.

Good luck

Croix

Tell me about it.

I've had so much sand that I've created a new beach on the Savannah River.

I don't think my methods for coping are too healthy, though, I generally tend to take it out on myself and/or an inanimate object. This explains why there are a few visible dents on my apartment's (metal!) front door at around the level of my head.

Hello!!

I felt irritable today (OK, I go on so many threads claiming to feel like that or know how they feel, but I really do feel like that or know how they feel ;) )

Anyway, I just couldn't speak to anyone for long this morning and afternoon. I didn't want to hear people's voices for more than two sentences because if I did I felt anxious and annoyed. I could talk to people, but I wanted to get the hell out of the conversation ASAP. I also got pissed off at my sister on the phone.

My solution was to listen to music that fitted my mood. I chose to listen to Pink Floyd - "Dark Side of the Moon" and then, a few hours later, "Wish You Were Here". I've wanted to listen to those albums since I bought (and copied the latter, though sssshhhhh......) them and I knew they would help me to calm down. I got really into DSOTM, singing lyrics silently (even singing some of them out loud :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:). It's such a great album!

I found an excellent new quote for my signature too :)

So, back to my point, my advice is to find something to do that will help to calm you down e.g. listening to music. Do not take it out on objects or yourself. That is not good. Whether it's medical, like BPD or depression, or just simply emotions, I would advise constructive alone-time distraction to try and alleviate the aggression and irritability. I think staying away from people would be a good idea. I don't think you can "stop it" just like that. I just think that over time you can prevent it and not let it affect you as much. Feeling guilty is natural, but try to remember that it's not that you're a bad person at all.

Take care!!

Mostly I just try to be kind to others by not taking it out on them. I'm better off to just keep my mouth shut, suck it up, (and have it eat me from the insides), rather than let something slip past my lips.

If I am really in a bad mood, I will tell those I'm with straight up "I don't feel good right now. So if I say something snarky or snippy, please understand that it has nothing to do with you or anything you have done. I apologize in advance." To my surprise, almost everyone accepts this very well.

At the end of the day out of concern, I will sometimes follow up with "I hope I didn't say anything that upset you today, or that was mean, if so I apologize". Again this is always accepted graciously.

Now, that constant irritation, is the illness wearing away at your soul, slowly chipping away at life. If you have only tried two meds, don't give up. There are plenty of others that won't make you feel like or zombie or have no effect. You dont' have to live life as a martyr.

a.m.

Archived