CrazyBoards.org

My dd's visit to her PDoc yielded some interesting information that I'd like to corroborate, if anyone can. DD asked to have Abilify (a drug she has taken in the past for hallucinations with only limited success of reducing occurances) added to her medication regiment which includes 280 mg. Geodon (which also has very limited success with the hallucinations). As our luck goes (not!), her PDoc doesn't put a lot of faith into combine AAP's for effectiveness of psychosis but would rather explore other AP's that she hasn't tried (and doesn't want to because of weight gain issues). Anyway, long story short, PDoc indicated that Abilify's limited time in the market is starting to yield some results including its relative ineffectiveness in controlling hallucinations. Has anyone else every heard this vs. experiencing it? I asked dd if he gave her a reference resource but she didn't ask and he didn't offer. This made me think that there should be some data out there that indicates the effectiveness of these AAP's for hallucinations but I haven't been able to find anything on it.

The good news was that she used her teenage charms to convince him that it wouldn't hurt to just give it a try. Apparently he relented because (1) her migraines have returned and with them have started some pretty wierd and freaky hallucinations (and Abilify worked wonders at controlling any and all headaches she was having), and, (2) he admitted that Geodon and Abilify have two totally different working mechanisms so he could see a possible trial of this. He only put her on 5 mg. and she sees him again in a week.

Abiify is particularly good for the negative symptoms of schizophrenia - lack of energy, motivation and communication. For many people it has some stimulating/activating effects.

In terms of comparison with other AAPs, it is generally recognised as the weakest AAP. For some people its great on its own, but many people like myself take it in conjunction with another AAP like seroquel to get the augmentation effect.

I'm not schizophrenic, I'm BP1 w/psychotic features, so I'll answer based on what Abilify did for my psychotic stuff-

I get the weirdo voices and see stuff when my moods are unstable. The Abilify put me into such a terrible mixed state that it made my hallucinations WORSE.

I'd say try it though. It won't kill anyone (hopefully- I'm trying to be funny).

loon

One thing about Abilify is it sure has a wide range of effects! It's supposedly the one AAP so far as I know which is both a dopamine agonist and antagonist - that is, it's said to add more dopamine when too much has been blocked.

We did not see that. As far as hallucinations, do not know, but maybe some comparative study on effectiveness of the APs/ AAPs relative to positive symptoms would help. Awful and perplexing, the relationship to your daughter's migraines!

I thought Seroquel was considered the weakest dopamine blocker, but I'm sure it's dose dependent. So damn much trial and error, isn't there (and especially error)?

Wishing both of you the very best,

Sympathetically,

rt

PDoc added 5 mg. a week ago (she still takes 240 mg. Geodon) and reduced her Trileptal by 300 mg. Mood issues are still great - good news. The hallicinations continue but are not as vivid. The problem she was having is that these "people" would walk by at work and she'd have to really watch them, too see if they faded away or whatever, in order to detemine if they were real or not. Obviously she doesn't want to ask someone if they need help if they don't exist. =) Now they are more like black shadows so she can better tell that they are hallucinations.

PDoc said the recently published medical literature giving comparisons of AAP's showed Abilify to not be very effective at controlling hallucinations as a drug on it's own. We're hoping that the combination of two might be the answer (PDoc is sceptical but was convinced to try).

We get a little bit of mixed signals at PDoc's. PDoc feels the goal is to completely eradicate the hallucinations (my goal, too). PDoc's NP agrees but says that not all patients can achieve this long-term or are not wililng to medicate to the point of no hallucinations (i.e. side effects of the meds or levels that work). PNP is more inclined to say let's see how good we can get it, can you tolerate it, and if it doesn't work then we need to start (argh) looking at those meds dd doesn't want to use because of weight issues, etc.

I found abilify to be completely ineffective even at its highest dose - 30mgs, I really hope your daughter has more success as I found it to be a fantastic drug side effects wise (no weight gain, no sedation etc)

Blackbird x

A baby dose of Zyprexa is doing much more for my psychosis than 30mgs of abilify :)

I can thoroughly recommend it and I havent had any bad effects. Weight gain can be managed by watching your diet. Im doing Atkins. I had gained 7 pounds but have now lost 2 of them. ;)

But hoepfully your daughter will have a better time with abilify

Blackbird x

• 4 years later...

I'm not schizophrenic, I'm BP1 w/psychotic features, so I'll answer based on what Abilify did for my psychotic stuff-

I get the weirdo voices and see stuff when my moods are unstable. The Abilify put me into such a terrible mixed state that it made my hallucinations WORSE.

I'd say try it though. It won't kill anyone (hopefully- I'm trying to be funny).

loon

What kind of voices do you hear and what do you see?

Archived