CrazyBoards.org

Thought I was BP2

It appears that my diagnosis, upon my last hospitalization, was 296.54 Bipolar I Disorder, Most Recent Episode Depressed, Severe with Psychotic Features is BP1 even though I've never had what I recognize as full-blown mania. Previous admission to hospital was for 296.64 Bipolar I Disorder, Most Recent Episode Mixed, Severe with Psychotic Features. I don't get it; I thought I was BP2 since I never had afull-blown manic apisode.

Tommy ;)

Tommy-

It took awhile during the course of my illness (which I've suffered for 20 years, since I was 7) for my parents and I to realize that I was "worse" than they had thought. When the BP2 DX came into being, they thought I was that. That was until I went psycho and mania ruined my life.

I'd say that with a psychotic episode and mania so bad that you required hospitalization (and a longer one than I usually have), then you are probably a BP1 w/psychotic features, like me. Discuss your feelings and symptoms with your pdoc.

I can't remember what meds you're on, but you may want to consider Zyprexa and up doses of any mood stabilizers, and decrease ADs. That is the course of full BP1. We need to walk the tight-rope between sanity and weirdness.

I'm here for you. PM me if you need info or advice on your worsened condition. I've been through it for 20 years and know a lot about how it feels.

LOON

I think diagnosis depends on how strictly your PDoc adheres to the DSM, to tell you the truth.

China, psychotic episodes might involve one or more of the following: hallucinations, delusions, paranoid thoughts, difficulty expressing one self, can't think of others. What I get confused about is dd definitely has hallucinations but knows they aren't real (scares the crap out of her but she knows they aren't real) and I've always been told true psychosis is when you believe all of the above (that there really are aliens sitting next to you).

My psychosis consisted of hearing voices telling me to kill myself in a specific manner, in a specific place and being pretty darned convincing. The voices would also just tell me to go to a certain city. The voices sounded like me, but they were audible and I wasn't talking.

Tommy

Tommy,

I don't mean to get too personal, but did you know you were having hallucinations or what did you think when this was happening. Again, if it's too personal or brings up bad memories, skip over my request. I am just still so new (relatively) to all of this and not being affected myself it's sometimes hard to understand where dd is coming from. It strikes me, from most of the posts I read, that the people with the hallucinations know they are hallucinations.....does that seem correct? If so, why then aren't there different catagories for psychosis?

Tommy,

I don't mean to get too personal, but did you know you were having hallucinations or what did you think when this was happening. Again, if it's too personal or brings up bad memories, skip over my request. I am just still so new (relatively) to all of this and not being affected myself it's sometimes hard to understand where dd is coming from. It strikes me, from most of the posts I read, that the people with the hallucinations know they are hallucinations.....does that seem correct? If so, why then aren't there different catagories for psychosis?

I definitely knew they were hallucinations, mostly because the voice was my own. If it had been someone elses voice, I'm not sure I would have known or at least would have been even more freaked out. There are several types of delusions listed in the DSM-IV mostly characterized by whether they are mood-congruent or mood in-congruent.

Tommy

OK, that does confuse me, cause in all the Psych classes I took--and there were a buttload of them, I got a BA in Psych, somewhere in the dark ages, I was told Psychosis was hallucinationa and delusions that you could not seperate from reality, or severe paranoia.

There are lots of times I can't express myself, or can't think of others at all, or how my actions will affect them--but I never thought of that as a psychotic episode.

I guess its all in the doc's interpretation, as all are all the DSM's that have to do with psychiatry.

Hmmmm--she said, pondering---

china

My psychosis consisted of hearing voices telling me to kill myself in a specific manner, in a specific place and being pretty darned convincing. The voices would also just tell me to go to a certain city. The voices sounded like me, but they were audible and I wasn't talking.

Tommy

hmm sounds like me. thought i was bpII, but my psych and i have been discussing bpI lately. psychosis for me insists of hearing voices that i know aren't me, that sometimes scare the shit out of me, and seeing some fucked up stuff out of the corner of my eye, or weird flashes of stuff...

now i'm much better tho, thank god.

Archived