CrazyBoards.org

Popsicles increase metabolic rate

I have read that popsicles and other cold things increase your rate of metabolism. Some people eat a lot of cold things to keep their weight down because it takes a lot of calories to warm your stomach back up. I wonder how long this effect lasts and if it is dangerous for persons on the verge of mania.

I have read that popsicles and other cold things increase your rate of metabolism. Some people eat a lot of cold things to keep their weight down because it takes a lot of calories to warm your stomach back up. I wonder how long this effect lasts and if it is dangerous for persons on the verge of mania.

yes, the cold, and i guess cold foods as well, make our body burn calories to keep warm. it's not really an effective diet method, but it does burn calories.

but burning calories is not the same as increasing your metabolism.

and, even if it was, medications are not processed as food is. most go through you liver, some through your kidneys. but people with fast metabolisms don't need higher doses. you can be a fast processor of medications, but that's totally separate from having a fast metabolism for food.

so popsicle away!

Thanks, all. I feel kind of stupid. I'm not very good on the medical stuff and I've wondered about that one for a long time. I do have popsicles in the freezer and will have at it 'cos I could eat 3 or 4 of them right about now..

Ok,

This sounds like a great theory.....eat popsicles or ice tea or chew ice...on your way to being fashionably thin. But common sense tells us that we have never gotten thinner by doing this, and even the National Enquirer hasn't sold an "Ice Cube Diet".

I went and crunched the numbers so you can see the scientific proof:

- Assuming we eat a Popsicle

Good heavens, Air Marshall. That's some number crunching and thoughtful research on your part. I appreciate it. I don't know where I could have picked up that misinformation as I am in the habit of reading and visiting only the most reputable sites on the internet.

I hope this won't result in any errant searches for people who need real information on bipolar "no no no, don't do that"s.

I wondered about that, AM. Here in Japan food always shows "kilocalories" and I always found myself wondering, erm, is that like, 1000x more calories? Yeah, 3 cheers for small liberal-arts college educations!

thanks!

lily

Wow, A.M., thanks for the flashback to chemistry class!

Next you'll be changing grams to moles and back again, yikes! Or was that shrews?

Actually, the sugar-free popsicles and fudgesicles are quite tasty and will satisfy cravings without totally compromising your calorie intake.

Archived