CrazyBoards.org

What Mental Illness or Drug Led You Here? A Poll

How did you find your way to CrazyBoards?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. The first question asks if you found CrazyBoards before or after the split with its former sister site, CrazyMeds.

• I found CrazyBoards from the CrazyMeds site prior to the split between the boards.
    • I found CrazyBoards on its own.
    • Other - please tell us how!
  2. 2. Assuming you used a search engine to get here and not the voices in your head, what were you looking for?

• I was looking for info on a specific medication.
    • I was looking for info on a specific mental illness such as bipolar, depression, etc.
    • I was looking for info on symptoms of a MI such as mania, psychosis, anhedonia, etc.
    • I was looking for info on mental health care/insurance.
    • I was looking for info on mental health care pdocs/tdocs/other treatments like ETC.
    • I was looking for info on MI as it relates to employment/school/disability, etc.
    • I was looking for info on suicide.
    • Other - we're dying to know!

Curiousity may have killed the cat, but I was napping! (Sorry.....)

So, what's a nice nutcase like you doing in a place like this, anyways?

There was discussion on another thread about how new members found us and how it relates to new thread topics and key words that show up on search engines, and since I don't exist in the real world these days, I thought I'd put together this poll to see how folks got here.

I came here before the split with CrazyMeds which I found first from looking up info on yet another drug. It was quite some time before I checked out CrazyBoards, but boy, am I glad I did!

So baby, do you come here often, and uhm, what's your sign, and all that......

Me too, Catnapper. For a long while I just poked around on the CrazyMeds site. I had never been on a message board before so didn't bother looking at it.

The CrazyMeds site is really quite wonderful. I still go there when I'm put on something new. And of course I'm addicted to this place...

lily

Curiousity may have killed the cat, but I was napping! (Sorry.....)

So, what's a nice nutcase like you doing in a place like this, anyways?

Sometimes I feel very alone. So it is nice to come here and talk with other nuts and bolts. I seem to do alot of reading. I dont't often respond as I'm nervous about interfering with others. It seems like alot of people on this site have alot of connections and I think of myself of intruding if I respond. Not much trouble here as this thread is new.

This is the only site I've visited where I feel safe enough to atleast correspond some. It does seem like some people are friendly. I've had some encouragement from some people on the site.

I need some sleep to.

Scooterman

I think I found CB on its own, can't remember how...was hunting around online at work, around the time I'd been refered to a pdoc and was scared about what would happen to me. I was looking for informed support related to meds and dx's etc. Also connection with others.

Guest FrannyNZooey

Me too, Catnapper. For a long while I just poked around on the CrazyMeds site. I had never been on a message board before so didn't bother looking at it.

The CrazyMeds site is really quite wonderful. I still go there when I'm put on something new. And of course I'm addicted to this place...

lily

Same came online looking up med put on, found CrazyMeds site. I too was on that for several months before using link to come here. And first message board for me.

Now I too am hooked to the support and people. I still go to CrazyMeds also, was there just last evening and this morning.

Aly

I showed up right in the middle of the split drama. I had used crazymeds in the past to look up the meds that *I* take--I was here looking up meds for a friend. I participate in other fora, and noted that there was a forum. I've been here ever since.

I also came here in the midst of the dramatic split. Found crazymeds looking for info on BP, trying to absorb the fairly recent dx. I ignored the bulletin board info at first, since I don't do those (this is the only one I belong to!), but then curiosity had me. I love this place, it's safe and I can say anything I want or need to, and know it's understood.

I've been around since a year before the split. I was researching Cymbalta, which I had just been put on. I found CrazyMeds first and spent a few weeks poking around there before discovering the forum. I'd never participated in an online forum before, so I "lurked" for a good month before making my first tentative post.

It's been an interesting experience. There's a whole "culture" here (on web forums) that I didn't know existed before.

I still do a quick perusal of the posts most days, but I'm not nearly as active as I used to be. For a while, I practically lived here. But it really helped me get through a very tough time in my life.

So why is this poll on the "Technology Sucks" board? I personally vote for it to be in the "I Got the Good Stuff Here" board! ;)

I came pre-split I founnd *CRAZY TALK* linked on crazy meds, then crazy talk turned into CRAZY BOARDS which was affilated with crazy meds and lots of people dissapeared then there was the split and lots of people dissapeared again. Some have come back though.

I don't know when I found it but I was on crazytalk long enough to almost become a diety, (they had this ranking type system with stars on CT, 500 posts = diety from memory).

Dan

BTW I was looking up risperdal and a particular sife effect

I picked 'other' because I found CM/CB before it was CB... back in ye olde YaBB forum days, erm, well I guess that qualifies as pre-split but oh well. I was looking for Lexapro and general stuff about depression but I mostly lurked for a looooong time. I tend to be an emotional doormat so reading about how other people cope with stigma, ignorance, bureaucracy, etc helps me think of and rehearse intelligent resposes to the idiotic things people sometimes say to me.

I was looking up Zoloft, I think, and found CrazyMeds and Crazy Talk. I posted a little bit on Crazy Talk and wondered why the hell nobody else seemed to ever visit or reply when I noticed a link to Crazy Boards. This is the first message board/forum that I've gotten into and now I've checked out a few other forums on line and this one is truly unique and awesome.

I don't often respond as I'm nervous about interfering with others. It seems like alot of people on this site have alot of connections and I think of myself of intruding if I respond. Not much trouble here as this thread is new.

Scooterman

I felt like I was an intruder at first, too, especially on the springer threads. Now I just put my 2 cents in, invited or not, if it is anything but a springer thread. On the springer threads I sometimes ask for permission from the host/ess if I'm not sure how they feel about new people.

I also voted for pre-split. I was around back in the YaBB days.

Not been around lately due to health issues and stuff, but I'm trying.

I can't even remember how I came to start posting on the boards originally.

But I'm pretty sure it was due to medication. I think that they'd just upped my

dosage of Adderall and it was really causing me alot of problems.

And I still feel like an intruder alot of times too.

But alot of that comes from my ineptitude with language.

I often times screw up the meanings of the things I type.

And it comes across all wrong. Words are not my friends.

I chose the first option, found crazyboards while researching a medication on crazy meds,but it was well after the split. Ironically it was only because I stumbled across Jared's side of the story on that site. He didn't convince me of his victimization, but he piqued my curiosity enough to send me here. Ain't serendipity sweet?

i just wanted to know more about the weirdo pills my pdoc thought i should be taking. my uncle is a pharmacist and could only give me so much info. i found crazymeds and it has been a love affair ever after.

loon in love with her CB

I found CrazyMeds about nine months ago, pre-split, when looking up Tegretol...I found the site through an extensive Google search and was thrilled with the candid information. What a trip. I read the boards, but posted only once and got blasted in the face and was like, umm, no, that was a truly bad idea. It actually hurt.

But then after a few months, by some weird chance, found out about the split off to CrazyBoards. Lurked here, very very nervously for about a month and saw that no one was biting heads off and decided I could maybe post now and then. Happy to be here now. Can't say I feel totally comfortable, but I think this is a great place of support...

Take care,

~Cat

Heya Catnapper,

I wanted to know about Lamictal before I tried it.

Last summer, via CM.

I've been back to CM recently b/c my psych started me on Seroquel, and still really helpful.

For med info.

--ncc--

I read the boards, but posted only once and got blasted in the face and was like, umm, no, that was a truly bad idea. It actually hurt.

But then after a few months, by some weird chance, found out about the split off to CrazyBoards. Lurked here, very very nervously for about a month and saw that no one was biting heads off and decided I could maybe post now and then. Happy to be here now. Can't say I feel totally comfortable, but I think this is a great place of support...

Hi Cheshire Cat -

From one cat to another, Meow! (sorry, couldn't resist!) I'm sorry you got treated roughly here before and hope you'll stick around. Once in a while someone flips out and gets snippy, but generally everyone is pretty nice, at least that's been my experience. I've managed to put my foot in my mouth numerous times, but I think everyone here does sooner or later, which makes me more comfortable to be here. It's hard for people to understand each other with just the written word and no other voice or body intonations.

Also, if someone in particular bugs you there's a function where you can choose to never see that person's posts. Just click on their name which takes you to their profile, then click on the drop down menu under "Profile Options" and click on the choice to not view that member's posts. Voila! Annoyance disappears! If only we could do that so easily with other people in real life who drive us crazy!

Thanks for responding to the poll. I hope to see you around the boards.

please allow my votes to fall right into the two biggest responses.

i found the site before the very, truly saddening (i cannot tell you how much) split of jerod and kass and the crazyboars crew. and i found jerod's site (the original crazymeds.us) by googling meds on MDD (aka major depression).

sigh. this has reminded me of the old boards of crazymeds.us. i miss the mad lord jerod and kassiane.

but anyway, that's how i found jerod's original site. and his wonderful hello:

" Hi, how ya doin'?

Not so good, huh?

Right, otherwise you wouldn't be here."

so understanding.

so yeah. now i'm here. for better or worse.

grouse.

Ah, and Meow to you, too, Catnapper. ;)

Thanks for the tip about turning off unpleasant people, but I don't think I'll be needing to do that. I'm usually okay with the give and take of weird interchanges...and I have said the wrong thing in plenty of life situations myself...

I think the previous CrazyBoard thing that happened to me personally was maybe some kind of bad timing. At least I'm chalking it up to that.

And Grouse, I still visit CrazyMeds pretty regularly as my meds have gone through all sorts of changes over past months...I still love Jerod's candid and often calming voice on the web site, regardless of whatever happened...I get tons of help from that site...hell, I send money! No hard feelings from me.

Peace,

~Cat

Archived