CrazyBoards.org

Hello!!

I would like to ask for opinions about the subject of Yoga. I recently had an inspiration to begin classes. It seems like a good way to relax my mind and try improve my well-being through various aspects such as meditation. I looked it up on Wikipedia. I didn't realise there were various different types of Yoga. I was most interested in Raja Yoga, and I've found a few classes near to where I live. All I really need to do is phone up. I will discuss this with my counsellor and psychiatrist.

Some people may take the macho-male attitude that Yoga is something women do or that men shouldn't need it. Well, aside from the fact I think that is ridiculous, personally, I wouldn't care if I was one of only two men in the class. For some reason I wouldn't want to be the only man in a class, but I guess most people, male and female, would feel that way. I'm certain I won't be anyway.

Anyway, what do people think? Is this a waste of my time or will it help me? Does anyone else on this website practice it?

Take care!!

Anything that gets us out of bed, off the sofa, out of the house and gives us something to look forward to.

Taking a yoga class would be good also because it is physical exercise, which is almost as good as meds and therapy, and it would be an opportunity to be around other people.

Anything you do is better than nothing!

Just do it!

a.m.

Easyrider:

I learned hatha yoga when I was 22. I was in the process of losing 40 pounds and I wanted to tone up. I really got into it and did it for 45 minutes every day for about a year and a half.

It changed my life. Literally. It cured (or helped me control) insomnia, which had cursed me since childhood. Not just the meditation: the physical postures can relax you and prepare you for sleep.

It strengthened my back and yet gave me flexibility. Not just for a few years---I've reaped these benefits for over 30 years.

It gave me a much better sense of balance. After I did yoga, I learned to ski and ice skate---two things I had always failed at before, because my balance was so bad.

It definitely improved my figure, and it can do the same for guys. You trim off that waist fat and firm up all over without getting bulgy muscles (which I don't find attractive).

Don't just do it in class. Once you learn it, do it at home. If you practice faithfully, it can benefit you in many different ways.

olga

I love yoga!! I started two and a half years ago shortly after my last bout of severe depression began. I think it helped as much as some of the meds. I practiced twice a week - a more physical class on the weekends and a gentler glass one evening during the week.

I'm down to just once a week now. I'm not disciplined enough to do it on my own at home. Don't set your standards so high that you'll fail and give up. While it would be great if you had the energy and discipline to do it every day, give yourself more reasonable expectations - even once a week will have benefits.

As for being the only guy in the class... !@#$ that! There is sometimes only one guy in my class (and sometimes he's the instructor!), but I don't think anything less of him. If anything, I think more! Yoga has so many benefits... relaxation, flexibility, strength building, toning... don't let your ego get in the way of reaping these benefits!!

Anyway... that's my 98 cents about yoga.

~Sunshine

Yoga has changed my life as well! I totally encourage you to continue.

It is a great way to train your mind to staying in the present moment, being in the here and now, and focusing on your body.

If the male thing becomes a self conscious issue, there are always video tapes and DVDs you can do in the privacy of your own home.

What style of yoga are you practicing?

But try and overcome the self-conscious thing... I'm not knocking doing it on your own at home - that's certainly better than not doing it at all. But one other advantage of going to a class is it gets you out of the house and in a somewhat social setting - or at least around other people. I don't know about the rest of you, but I tend to become quite a hermit when depressed, which makes me even more depressed.

I love yoga. I've been known to do it in the hallway outside a classroom before an exam or pretty much anywhere I happen to be when the urge strikes me.

It can help quite a bit with keeping the noggin clear as well as fitness and flexibility.

You should also check out the mindfulness book we've got listed at the bottom of the page if you have not.

Hello!!

Thanks for all your responses.

I'd quite like to do Raja Yoga, but from what I understand that is quite advanced (?). My plan was to tell the instructor or place that I would like to practice Raja Yoga and then listen to what they have to say :wtf: I may have to build up to it. I know it takes years of dedication and hard-work. Hatha Yoga sounds really good too.

I want to try and relax my mind and control my thoughts. I was thinking about the "mind, body and spirit" elements, trying to reach enlightenment. I would love to be able to increase my flexibility too. I am so unflexible it's unbelievable :embarassed: LOL! I think combining Yoga with weight-lifting and running would provide excellent fitness, both mentally and physically. I will have my evenings filled! I need to re-gain the motivation for weight-lifting and running that I lost about six weeks ago though.

I want to go to group yoga at first. I think it will help me to relax into the new environment more. I don't like the idea of buying a video to practice at home. I know I will be lazy with it sometimes and I would prefer to have an instructor as I know nothing at the moment. I will be quite embarassed and shy at first, but I am like that with most things as I think people will think I am stupid. It's a habit I need to get rid of. Group Yoga sounds like an excellent way to begin :cussing:

I don't think I will be the only man in the class. If I am, I think I will get used to it. I find women easier to be around, despite that I don't spend much time around them, and more understanding about such things as Yoga. It's just how I feel. I will never have a male counsellor or psychiatrist. I quite like the idea of been the only man in a room full of well-toned, relaxed, pleasant-minded women ;):):cussing:

Thank you for all the encouragement, everyone.

It's really nice to hear that it will benefit me alot. I hope everyone is OK and that your Yoga is going well.

Take care!!

I don't know anything about Raja, but Hatha is very nice (and not advanced). The studio I go to is Ashtanga-based, but do other forms sometimes (like Hatha). They have three levels of classes. The higher level classes are more physically (cardio) intensive.

Yoga, by the way, is weight training. You're just using the weight of your own body instead of machines. The thing that surprised me the most about yoga was how much muscle tone I got from it.

I'm sure you'll like whatever form of yoga you take. I've never taken more than a few classes at a time here and there, but still do some of the moves I learned just because the stretches feel good. I still do some old exercises I learned in ballet class during the Paleolithic era, too.

As far as feeling self-concious because you might be one of very few guys or a beginner with more experienced people, I'd say there's nothing to worry about. Once you start the breathing and relaxation you'll probably have your eyes closed and the rest of the time you'll be staring at your toes or the ceiling while you're moving around. Plus yoga's a far cry from some mean-spirited sports coach yelling at you to do ten more sit-ups. The classes I've been in the instructors have always been gentle and encouraged people to do whatever they could without pain.

You'll be interested to know that the last set of meditation classes I attended always started with about 15 minutes of basic yoga positions led by a male yoga instructor, the class was evenly split male to female, and the men were for the most part much better at it than any of the women.

my husband is usually the only guy in his yoga/pilates class at the gym, and he says it really is jsut a group of people who are interested in being fit. some of the women give him props for not trying to pick them up and for not being macho. most don't care.

At the beginer level yoga is yoga for the most part unless it's somthing cheesy and trendy like power yoga. That's been my impression anyway. Yoga and budism can intermingle so if you want to get more into that side of things you could just budism direcly while taking a beginer yoga class. That's why I suggested the mindfulness book.

Guest Guest

Hi, thanks for asking, I've meandered thru a few different yogas over the years. Yeah, Buddhism has that focus on the absence thing going on, but I feel safe saying my practice has been largely India-centered.

-The internet has a ton of information on any of the yogas you find interesting.

-Yoga's wholly competitive, but supposedly you don't see your classmates, you're so focused on your being.

-Patanjali has the eight steps to unity/yoga, and hatha's just one of them.

-Kundalini's a great, supportive, religious(sikh) way to go.

-Aspire towards freedom, master the mind.

-Working with a guru helps.

No big deal. I love buying yoga books; some with chapters on treating allergies. Good luck ;)

Guest Guest

Hi, thanks for asking, I've meandered thru a few different yogas over the years. Yeah, Buddhism has that focus on the absence thing going on (it did start in India), but I feel safe saying my practice has been largely East Indian yoga-centered.

-The internet has a ton of information on any of the yogas you find interesting.

-Yoga's wholly competitive, but supposedly you don't see your classmates, you're so focused on your being.

-Patanjali has the eight steps to unity/yoga, and hatha's just one of them.

-Kundalini's a great, supportive, religious(sikh) way to go.

-Aspire towards freedom, master the mind.

-Working with a guru helps.

I'm mentioning the Bhagavad Gita.

No big deal. I love buying yoga books; some with chapters on treating allergies. Good luck ;)

I did hatha yoga pretty consistantly for three years. Before I started I was always stiff and tense, all the time. I couldn't get anywhere near touching my toes, and every time I laid down my lower back woud kill for a few seconds, which is really not a good thing when you're 18. After doing yoga once a week for an hour for a few months, those things and a slew of other problems improved a lot. For the first time in my memory I actually had some flexibility. It also helped some with anxiety. After a good while of doing it, I rarely hyperventillated anymore, which had previously happened constantly. And on the occasions when things were bad, I had some breathing exercises I could do that really helped. So... yoga is wonderful, definately do it if you get the chance.

Archived