CrazyBoards.org

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,11...1653761,00.html

"Some of the genes that predispose to schizophrenia might be carried by artists and in many cases play a factor in their creativity, but because the artists do not develop full-blown schizophrenia and are able to direct their creativity, they are able to pass the genes on to their children."

Well, in my case I am an artist (non-MI) married to a bipolar. One of our 2 sons is autistic.

So I guess since artists are already half crazy, marrying and reproducing with a crazy person can get you some interesting results.

I guess this whole story caught my attention because I am an artist....and my hubby is BP and also very creative (but a writer type..not an artist).

Weird stuff like this is very fascinating to me.

I wonder if they will ever get the human brain figured out.

• 10 months later...

Van Gough is my favorite artist. Go figure. Somewhere in my massively bloated collection of links, I have a huge list of artists with various types of mental illness. It seems that creative genius and mental cooties go hand in hand. Skipping happily through the daisies ;) My male tdoc has said that people with mental illnesses often have very high IQs....Guess I'll have to go look that one up

• 10 months later...

I'm schizophrenic and so am I. Art is the means by which I make sense of things through the act of getting out of my head and making the intangible tangible. In a way, it's a game with the forces of mental chaos. It brings them to the light and focuses them and tests them for their usefulness in the so-called "real" world. Been through many phases of expression and lived long enough to understand the relation of inner experience and outer communication. I feel less alienated when this happens. Alienation can get so internalized that the secret world of psychosis takes on a life of its own. Thats when there's real trouble. It took 3 hospitalizations and lots of hi-dose meds to clear my head long enough to catch a glimpse of serenity and head for the shore of rationality.

More later. Encouragement to all who use art to climb out of the pit.

Firebird, I am a professional 'fortune teller' in my spare time. I read tarot cards, oracle cards, palms and crystals. I wrote a book about how to tell fortunes with crystals as there are no books out there which deal with this subject. ;)

• 1 month later...

I was an artist. I did my best work while I was most ill and least medicated. I sold it without a problem. I am unable to feel any creativity now. I went through a long grieving process. However, The fact that i have more peace in my mind longer parts of the day is actualy worth it. I find it hard to belive I am saying that.

I guess this whole story caught my attention because I am an artist....and my hubby is BP and also very creative (but a writer type..not an artist).

Weird stuff like this is very fascinating to me.

I wonder if they will ever get the human brain figured out.

why is this "weird"? finding "studies" and research dealing with the topic is as easy as running into idiots when you leave your house. a sure thing.

when there's empirical evidence to support the theses, i'll sit up and take notice. until then, i'm going back to sleep.

Archived