CrazyBoards.org

Duality of BP and Others' Responses

When I'm depressed, I get a lot of "snap out of it" or "other people are far worse off" or some other dumbass comment intended to help, but ends up frustrating me even more.

When I'm up in the mania ranges, I get a lot of "stop acting like a little girl", "act like an adult"...

What about you?

Depressed: "Come out, you'll feel better." "You're not listening to me." "Why don't you call me, you make me feel bad."

Manic: "Whoa...What the hell?" "You only care about yourself." "It's always about you." and my personal notfavorite "You're gonna get fired."

When I get depressed, I hear "it's probably just ________" (fill in the blank with whatever simple and short-lived explanation the other person thinks is the cause) along with prompts to take walks/exercise/take baths/go on vacation/do yoga/meditate or other helpful thing that the other person does to help THEM "snap out of it"

...and, yeah, Bella, I get the "why don't you call me? you make me feel bad" a lot, too and it makes me feel so much worse

When I get manic, as in lately, I hear "you're going to hurt yourself" and "you're scaring me" and "why don't you take more meds?" and "are you just doing this to play some kind of game with me?"

uh, yeah, right, that's me, playing a big fat game here...

sigh

~Cat

I once told my DH that I just wanted to end it all and he replied "Well, that isn't a constructive way to feel."

Gee hun, thanks for the insight. People just mostly don't know what to say sometimes. Good thing DH came

around and doesn't fully understand but at least he's there just the same.

I find it incredibly ironic that when I'm totally batshit hypo/manic/mixed/AHHHH, that people actually tell me its because I'm taking TOO many meds. I had someone, someone who's really close to me and knows my entire history, tell me that this weekend. First she asked why I didn't call her "I couldn't call anyone" (couldn't even get on CB) and then

"Well, what do you expect with all those meds you take?"

Next person who doesn't understand our problems is getting a nice big injection of Reserpine.

Paging patient Tom Cruise, paging patient Tom Cruise. Please report to the psychiatry clinic immediately; your spaceship is waiting.

I should add that I have gotten a lot of wonderful, supportive help, too. It's just good to be able to vent somewhat anonymously here because it sure does hurt when people say things that shoot right to the bone when my brain is already on tilt...

~Cat

Heya,

Yah.

From DH I've gotten, Get over it. Don't use (Paxil at the time) as a crutch. Turn it off. It's not pleasant when you make that face.

Not now, but recently.

So, yah.

--ncc--

Archived