CrazyBoards.org

Just got out of loony bin

I went in due to trying to sleep by mixing bacardi 151 with jello mix & popping klonopin. Hubby finally

figured out what was going on and made sure I didn't take a lethal dose by counting my klonnies. Woke up

the next morning kinda pissed that I was still alive. DH took me to ER & I was sent to crisis evaluation.

They suggested a crisis group home. Everyone there was so supportive & helpful. The other "clients"

were amazing people & we helped each other a lot in addition to therapy and pdoc visits. I went in on

Monday night and just got home friday afternoon. I feel better able to handle my stressful life, although it's

still difficult. I learned a lot about myself & ( I hope) I offered some insight to others. They gave me back

my wellbutrin my primary pdoc had taken me off of a few weeks ago & upped my klonopin a bit.

It was a positive experience but I will miss all the people there.

Good for you and your husband for keeping you safe. I'm glad you had a good experience. Do they have any outpatient programs that you could attend?

Take care of yourself. You've been here a long time and we don't want to lose you.

Greeny

It must be wonderful to live somewhere that has decent mental health services. I remember being in a day program a long time ago in Atlanta, which savred my life.

There is nothing here.

china

Scatty,

I just got out of the same bin Sunday. I also had a positive experience. Man, I totally needed to take a break from my life. I was surprised at how many people really pulled together to help me.

I feel like I have sort of had a philosophical change of heart. I am hoping I am realizing how miserable I make myself, and how in turn make things miserable for others. Turns out this is counterproductive. I have a lot to work on, but I haven't been encouraged in a really long time. I feel like I was spinning down, down, down and in the end I had three options. One being checking into the hospital.

The tdoc there was awesome. He skipped the touchy-feely stuff and went straight for the jugular. Who is ultimately making life miserable for me? Is it my family, my friends, my mother, my father, my job, my kids? Turns out it was me. Oh. It really sounds stupid, but I feel like I have had an attitude adjustment and I really needed one. I am not sure I have felt this unencumbered.

Of course I have returned to a filthy house, financial HELL, unknown ramifications at work and odd behavior from those around me. I am not really all that sure I will be able to solve any of that any better than before, but I am at at better starting place. I felt like before I was cringing, waiting for something else to fall on my head, not getting anywhere, and now I feel like I am at least relaxed while waiting for those things!!!!

I wasted so much energy on myself beating myself down. Along with whomever is around me. That is at least something I can change.

I am not cured. But I am not in a mixed state from hell. So that's good. And I have a better perspective on a few relationships. I have a lot of 'splainin' to do to my dad and step-mom, whereas before I had a lot of resentment and unresolved issues.

Okay, gone on too long. I am just so thankful that I had this opportunity. I know not everyone can be plucked up from their lives and be dropped into the hospital. I didn't think I could, actually. I just left. Left my life. Bad things happened because of this, but ultimately it will all work out.

Um, yes. Loony bin, good. Interested to see how things go at work next week. They were left in quite a lurch. I am going to get the crazy looks. But I think I am in a much better place to deal with them.

China, I wish you could go where I was. You need a break from your life just like I did. Or maybe an out-of-body, out-of-mind experience. A break from your life and a break from your pain.

I never thought it would get better. I feel odd that my elevator is actually going up. I hope I don't get stuck between floors.

Sam

Welcome back - I'm glad you had such a good experience (I've had good as well as bad experiences in the bin, and I know exactly how empowering it can be if you're with people who know what they're doing).

Keep taking care of yourself,

Skittle

I'm really glad you had a good experience. This is my seventh week in a day hospital program, and Thursday is my last day. Everybody there, patients and staff, is so nice that it's really... odd, but in a good way. I'm just not used to everyone being so nice. And I had pretty bad inpatient experiences in January and February, so I'm really grateful for this opportunity. Restores my faith in humanity, or something.

I don't know anyone here yet, but I'm still glad for you, okay? ;)

Heya scatty,

Glad your hospitalization helped, and nice to see you back :) .

(and the rest of you who also had useful hospital experiences, makes me feel better if I ever go in myself)

China, honey, I also wish there were better services where you are. You really could use a reprieve too. ;)

--ncc--

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am returning to therapy Monday and seeing my pdoc Tuesday. I am still stressed out. Family problems that never seem to go away. Me and dh keep getting into these inane fights that are upsetting both of us. We just cried and cried together afterwards. His depression & disability and then me on top of it. I cause a lot of problems. I don't have time to be crazy. There are responsibilities I must attend to. I feel hopeless today. Does the pain EVER really end?

Scatty and Sam,

Good to hear you had such good experiences and that help IS available. So often it seems that "providers" are very lacking. I love to hear about ones that are caring and competent. Uplifting, Good on them; Good on you.

Sounds like a common theme with you both of "stop the world I want to get off". I often felt I had to check myself OR my son - either one would have been as effective (forgive the tangential thinking, but reminds me of brushing my Sheltie. Two Valium between us. How to divide them?).

Were they private facilities, you two? And how did insurance handle it? Did you have to make statement of being in imminent danger of self-harm to be covered?

rt

PS chinacat, what IS it with Florida? Could it have something to do with all the oldsters and the absence of estate tax? My brother, a nurse there, has worked (OVERworked, to be more exact) in a wildly understaffed residence for hyper disturbed teens. As in sibling murderers, multiply incested and so much more.

He's been there for years and years - probably the only constant staff member - and the only constant in their lives.. (How many times has he been reprimanded for taking them out in his kayak, buying them birthday presents out of his own money, etc.?)

Anyhow, I just got word as did he, that his job is at high risk. Looks like they will close the facility. And where will these poor shattered kids go, huh? One of the many nightmarish "juvenile detention" joints run by unprosecuted war criminals?

Were they private facilities, you two? And how did insurance handle it? Did you have to make statement of being in imminent danger of self-harm to be covered?

I was in private facilities four times, but insurance covered it completely and I did have to make a statement of being in imminent self-harm the two times I was admitted through ER. Twice I was admitted directly from the Pdoc's office and went through regular admissions, just like if I was going to have day surgery.

Tommy

Florida just plain sux. One reason they are so short of staff is that it cost over $300 to transfer a valid RN liscense from another state to Fla. Forget that!!

We have more sex predators, illegal aliens (criminals) and homeless people than anywhere I have ever even visited. And the medical system is horrible. Altho the staff was great, the hospital I was in for my surgery was just plain NASTY/DIRTY. Floors never cleaned, sheets never changed, bathrooms beyond description. And this was one of the top hospitals in all of central Florida--over 800 beds--

I am so desperate for some decent help--I don't want to leave here, we came all this way and I want to stick it out, but my brief hospital stay was a joke, and its taken me 8 months to even find a remotely decent pdoc, who sees me for about 20 minutes a month. I didn't plan to be "sick" I didn't plan for $90,000 of back surgery and we are so broke and I am so afraid and depressed.

. Reality, give your brother my sympathies and tell him to get the hell out of dodge. Those kids wil be on the street, making it further unsafe any where in this god-forsasken state. If the gators don't get you, the drunk homeless teens will--or else the teens wil kill the homeless people--thats the newest trend!

Sorry for hijacking your post, Skatty-- hope things get smoother. Yall need a break!!

love, china

rt

Yeah, pretty much we had to be in eminent danger. My pdoc had been telling me to check myself in for a few weeks, and of course I waited until I had pretty much gone over the edge before I took him up on it.

They asked me if I thought about it, and I said coming to the hospital was one of two options. They asked if I had a plan and I laid it right out for them. The first step of my plan being that both of my kids would be gone for at least a week or so. Which hasn

Yeah, I had to tell them a suicide plan also. Although the night before I could have easily taken too much klonies/alcohol if it weren't for dh.

I don't think they were private. It was like a group home type thing. We had group 3 times a day, helped cook dinner, saw the pdoc when we requested it and 2 social worker/therapists were there if you ever needed them. They would talk to you casually during the day- it wasn't like a 50 minute session but it was very casual.

It turned out I went to an ER not in my area cuz they were known for their great mental health care. The nurse said my insurance would still cover it. I have medicaid. I was given the option of total hospitalization but I opted for the home like setting. It was so peaceful, the other clients were great. It gave me a chance to get away from stress of life. I would have liked to stay longer but I was doing so well they needed the bed. It was only a 9 bed unit.

I'm so glad I went to the "wrong" ER. I'm still feeling down, but it's getting better everyday.

SAM, I hope you're getting stronger everyday as well.

No need to apologize for the threadjack.

Wow! Mine was a classic hospital experience as far as the food went. I'm glad I didn't have to fix my own food!

The social worker took some lame history and I never saw her again.

We had a thousand groups a day it seems. We took walks, we played games, we drew pictures...it sounds really lame, but it wasn't so bad. I would have preferred to curl up and read my book for days, but apparently we were supposed to be social or something!

I really don't know how I am feeling yet. I guess I will be able to judge more accurately once I have returned to work. I am nervous about how everyone is going to act. And with good reason. These people can be vicious. Sticks and stones, etc, but in truth, thier reactions do matter.

Scatty, I hope you have some support right now. I think everyone thinks that just because I am out, I'm all good. I can tell you one thing. I'm not making very good choices. For whatever that's worth.

Anyway, bon chance to us both.

Sam

Sam--we made the decision to move here so my husband could have a stable, safe job he loved with a big company with lots of benefits, no layoffs, etc. A friend bought our house for us (we are paying him back)

I had visited down here when R. was in schol here and we both loved it. And as I said, I love our house, perfect size (small) for us. We both have very strong, "almost family" ties in Charleston, which we hated to leave, but it was too good a job to pass up for him.

So we made the move, and I intend to work hard on getting healthy (physically and mentally) and making thius work. My husband deserves this--and I wasd very tired of wondering if some idiot on his old jobs was gonna kill him accidentally. (He climbed steel, was a pipefitter)

Yep, the medical situation sux, but jesus the beach and the races, and I CANmake friends I know I can. So thanks fr the care--but here I am and here I will stay.

Sorry again Skatty-

love, china

I'm sorry your experience has been so poor, China, but I have to say that there ARE decent places to be hospitalized and live in North and Central Florida. I've lived here since 2002, this time (for the record, I live about 30 minutes north of Chinacat) and lived here for all of nursing school back in the late 80's (4 years). I have a wonderful pdoc, and was hospitalized twice at one of the bigger hospitals in Jacksonville. The key for me was getting in my car and driving. My town is fairly small, and I knew that I couldn't expect good mental health services. I drive approximately an hour away (Jacksonville) to get those services.

I came here from another state and I had to pay over 600 dollars for my license because I was still in a diversion program at the time (I've since graduated with over 6 years of sobriety). That's not the reason why we have a nursing shortage in this state. It's because people are moving here faster than care can keep up, and the population is rapidly becoming sicker due to age. As a registered nurse in this state, you can negotiate for just about any job from a position of power. I have a wonderful job--the best I've ever had.

I'm glad that you found a nice place to live and that your husband has a great job. I hope that you feel better really soon. It's not all bad here, really.

Actually I have been quite lucky as far as my Primary care, my GI doc, and the ortho group. So 3 outa 4 ain't bad.

But just in case. where would you recommend should the worse happen and I need some inpatient "time out" Andf do you know any therapists here or as far up as Palm Coast, and as far down as Edgwater. Not sure what's west of us besides Orlando!

And I am detemined to have a good retirement, when it comes nexzt year, and to MEET some people--may even invite some folks over!

Love, china

Actually I have been quite lucky as far as my Primary care, my GI doc, and the ortho group. So 3 outa 4 ain't bad.

But just in case. where would you recommend should the worse happen and I need some inpatient "time out" Andf do you know any therapists here or as far up as Palm Coast, and as far down as Edgwater. Not sure what's west of us besides Orlando!

And I am detemined to have a good retirement, when it comes nexzt year, and to MEET some people--may even invite some folks over!

Love, china

I know a wonderful therapist in St. Augustine--I've seen her on and off since I moved here. PM me if you want her number. Locally, nothing--Palm Coast is still small. If I was back in crisis, I'd have my husband haul me to Baptist Hospital in Jacksonville. I was an inpatient there and also did the day program twice. I liked the counselors alot, and the psych unit was alot nicer than the one in Alaska visited 2 or 3 times (I forget *smile*).

I went to nursing school in Daytona, and we did our psych clinicals at Halifax. The place wasn't very pleasant then, and I hear it hasn't changed.

Wish I could help you more, but I generally don't head your way...I'm more familiar with St. Aug/Jax, so that's were I look for care.

I hear ya Sam. Hubby is wondering why I'm still not quite right. I'm not suicidal but ya know... it's hard. The house kinda fell apart in my absence. The kids still need to be taken care of. I don't work (thank god) but just managing the household is taking all I've got. I hope both of us are feeling better soon.

Archived