CrazyBoards.org

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Young Folks:

Perry Como was a singer who appealed to people of my parents' generation. (Born in the teens and '20s). He was a very gentle guy, and very wholesome---as opposed to Frankie, who hung out with mobsters and was married several times and drank a lot.

He had a TV program for a number of years and sang songs like "Let a Smile be Your Umbrella," but the one I remember is "Catch a Falling Star."

Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket

Never let it fade away

Save it for a rainy day

For love may come and tap you on the shoulder some starless night

Just in case you feel you want to hold her

You'll have a pocketful of starlight

Never let it fade away

Save it for a rainy day

For love may come and tap you on the shoulder some starless night

Just in case you feel you want to hold her

You'll have a pocketful of starlight

(Pocketful of starlight, hm,hm,hm,hm,hm,hm)

Never let it fade away

Save it for a rainy day

(Save it for a rainy, save it for a rainy, rainy, rainy, day)

For when your troubles start multiplyin' and they just might

It's easy to forget them without tryin'

With just a pocketful of starlight

Never let it fade away

Save it for a rainy day

Perry wore cardigan sweaters on the program and sang the standards of the day. This was the late '50s and early '60s of the previous century....

God, this makes me feel old.

We watched him on Black and White television. There were three networks--NBC, ABC and CBS. If you didn't like what was on those three, you turned it off.

I'm surprised they used that line in the Depression Board heading, 'cause VE isn't old enough to remember Perry Como. Maybe he heard about him from his parents.

olga

And he had a segment on the show called "Letters". There would be a song:

"Letters, we get letters, we get lots and lots of letters...dear Perry"

and then he would read and answer them.

Sigh. So much to remember.

Love, Syl

Sylvia--here's the whole thing, 'cause it's stuck in my head:

Letters, we get letters, we get lots and lots of letters

Dear Perry, would you be so kind

As to fill a request, and sing the song I like best?

Sappy, eh? And then he would sing a song that someone had asked for in the mail.

We are old, Sylvia. Got room down at that retirement home you're running in the Sunshine State? heh

olga

Hello!!

OK, I understand who he was now, but what is the link between Perry Como and Depression? I don't get it. Did he suggest treatment using a metaphorical umbrella? EDIT: Read above. How can a smile be my umbrella if I don't feel like smiling? I know, I'll smile instead of cutting. Wait, I shouldn't jump, I will smile instead /EDIT

;)

I have to confess I'd never heard of him before I came on this website :embarassed:

Hey! Who says us younguns don't know who he is? I certainly do. My parents listened to him. ( I do love that smooth voice) AND he's been on the Jerry Lewis telethon a number of times. So pffffffft.

Croix

I'm surprised they used that line in the Depression Board heading, 'cause VE isn't old enough to remember Perry Como. Maybe he heard about him from his parents.

Olga -

That heading came from yours truly. I am old enough to know who Perry Como is. And ageing at approximately three times the normal rate, I think. Mr. Como had better just give me a wide berth, by golly...

Cerberus

We only used this name after some old person kept bitching about not getting the one we had before.

I'm a trivia buff. I don't think I've ever head Perry Como, just run across the name a lot and always thought that the concept of "let a smile be your umbrella" was real fucking stupid.

I guess we'd better add this to the list of boards that could use renaming.

always thought that the concept of "let a smile be your umbrella" was real fucking stupid.

Yes, it is kind of stupid because if you think about it, a smile would be like an umbrella that's gotten blown inside-out by the wind and isn't much use anymore. A frown would actually make a much more effective umbrella.

;) :embarassed: "Quation" is typoese for Quotation which in turn translates to realitytest has pulled another stupid self indulgent all-nighter.

No, not made me want to cut (though I guess someone of that persuasion might see my long sharp umbrella in that light). But I did perceive it as a weapon suddenly. Guess I have a hankering to be one of those nasty old ladies who jab people with their stiletto parasols when the poor shmos don't hustle fast enough on street corners!

(Say, wasn't it in London that the Russian double agent was killed with an umbrella equipped with a blade? Of course, it WAS laced with botulin toxin or something even faster acting...)

Forget it - long before your time, young'un.

rt :)

Archived