CrazyBoards.org

I wasn't a heavy drinker but alcohol was a big factor in my hospitalization so I've decided to abstain.

I know it's going to be tough since I have to attend a big fourth of July bash. Wish me luck...

Scatty, just a quick suggestion before the July 4th party.

Think about some strategies so that you can stay on the wagon. If you think people will think it odd for you to not have a drink, carry around a glass of seltzer and they can think you're drinking a white wine spritzer. Or ginger ale looks like a whiskey and soda. It just helps avoid all the quesions---if you're not up for answering them.

If it's a raucous party and you're afraid of falling off the wagon, make a short appearance and plan some other activity that you can do that doesn't involve drinking. Go to a nice outdoor concert or fireworks display with your trusty bottle of soda or water in hand.

Anyway, think about it in advance, because people will blind-side you----shoving a beer into your hand or otherwise being very unhelpful. If you're prepared, you can deal with it.

I think it's great that you have been able to do this for yourself. When you've had six months or a year of success, think of a cool present you can buy for yourself. I'm big on rewards! ;)

olga

congrats on the decision, scatty! i know you can do it, especially if you're not a real heavy drinker. i think olga's right about the 4th of July thing. if its going to turn out to be a real riotous thing, you might want to plan something else ahead of time so you can scoot outta there whenever.

i too actually just quit drinking, but for slightly different reasons. i never read my med labels (i know, i know, i just don't), so i had no idea if there were any interactions or anything. i'm not a heavy drinker myself, but after a few times of having a few drinks and getting violently ill, i went to the PCP to check it out. he then pointed out the incredibly obvious, which was that i'm on 3 different depression meds, and the sickness was probably a result of alcohol interaction. so no more drinking for hannah, unless i want to suffer the consequences by throwing up for the next 24 hours. not on your life.

wow, sorry to hijack your thread. good luck! keep us posted.

...hannah

Archived