CrazyBoards.org

Hello!!

I went to see my psychiatrist today. It went well. I was there for almost two hours and I managed to talk about everything that I had noted down to talk about. I had the feeling from the start that I was taking too much of her time, but at the end I said this and she said I was the last appointment so it was fine. I was glad I talked with her, honestly this time, about suicide and all the compulsive behaviours I have. I also have a prescription for scar cream.

Anyway, to the point of this topic. She is recommending me to have therapy with a psychologist. I can request a woman, which is good. I'm not talking to another man. However, she said the waiting list is about six months!! How utterly crap is that!! I'll be dead by then!! I'll get a questionnaire through in a few months, but I'm going to have to wait forever to see a psychologist. The psychiatrist said she thought it would take about five years for my self-worth, self-esteem and such to improve to a good level, but still, it seems so long!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, what was your experience with psychologists? Apparently it's more intense, detailed and emotional, and they will go through events in my past such as bullying with me. Is it worth it? EDIT: She said it was called Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, altering the patterns and habits that your brain uses to think ;)

Take care!!

P.S. I'm not criticising or insulting anyone. It's no-one's fault (besides maybe the governments?). Also, both my counsellor and psychiatrist are wonderful!! I wouldn't trade them :)

It took my husband forever to go with the idea of seeing a therapist. Then he accidentally got a good one who specialized in CBT.

She was great.

And it was not so much "when I was 3...blah blah blah"....it was more "Next time this event happens, here are some coping skills to get you to a different outcome."

I agree the wait time sucks, but give it a try.

Easy,

That's good news that your pdoc could spend so much time with you yesterday and that you could be honest. Excellent, really.

A question, though. What's the difference between a counselor and psychologist. I know the psych has a degree in psychology, but what are the qualifications for a counselor?

A question, though. What's the difference between a counselor and psychologist. I know the psych has a degree in psychology, but what are the qualifications for a counselor?
I don't know what the difference is. I think psychologists is more long-term and they are more experienced in human behaviours and methods of coping/altering (e.g. CBT). I'm not entirely sure though. I don't know the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist other than that the latter can prescribe medication :embarassed: I will be able to wait, hopefully. It doesn't feel good knowing how long it will be ;) I hadn't thought about going private, but I would prefer to use the NHS. I don't think I could keep my current psychiatrist and counsellor with a private psychologist either.

I told my Dad all this about fifteen minutes ago. He was like "what events are these?" in a sarcastic way. He doesn't know fucking anything! In the mood I am in, I would love to see his face when he found me dead with blood everywhere in my room. I felt like screaming "Errr.... how about when you left us when I was 13 and then came back!!!!". But yeah, he is crap at this. Inside, he thinks I'm making it all up or I've been misdiagnosed, in my opinion :)

Take care!!

Thanks all for the encouragement!!

Archived