CrazyBoards.org

My kitty cat is very ill.

Ella

She's lost weight very suddenly while eating normally, is acting funny, and the utterly stupid vet we saw the first time around didn't order any tests. So now I'm racking up more vet bills to get her the care she needs, and it doesn't matter--it matters a little because I'm broke, but c'est la vie--because I've never seen her like this before and I'm scared. I've never lost a pet before and this is the first time I've had to face that possibility.

I'm trying to be optimistic. "It will be Ok." I keep saying that to her but I think I'm really trying to reassure myself.

Ella! Nooooo! This is crappy news. Tell us what's wrong. Is it fixable?

HATE stupid vets. Keep telling her and yourself it'll be okay.

It'll be okay.

lily

Ella,

I'm sorry for you and kitty. Whether it's just a scary sickness or death approaching. Obviously the latter bites the big one. I've been down that road and my heart goes out to you, but I'm curious to hear what you have to say back to Breeze.

Will be listening, and following the thread with prayers an hope.

Hugs,

S9

Thanks, guys. Your wishes and support mean a lot. My little girl appreciates them too!

How old is your kitty and does she have any other symptoms?

Six years and yes... I've posted about this on a dozen different cat forums, so pardon me for skipping the details because I feel like I've repeated myself to death. She hasn't been spayed (and I would really appreciate it if people could please skip the lecturing because I've already gotten an earful) and she just finished her heat cycle about ten days ago. I'd rarely noticed them before but this one was different because there was a higher volume of blood loss (she'd gained weight since her last one, so I thought that explained it) and a skunky smelling "discharge", which I was informed was urine and nothing to worry about. Thought that was suspicious because I'd never smelled that particular odor before but, then, this cycle was different so I believed it. Very Bad Mommy thinks it's possible that a gum infection that went unnoticed (she was treated successfully for one in the past) may have spread to other parts and I really, really, really hope that isn't the case. Though a bacterial infection would be preferable to Feline AIDS, which is what the first vet postulated (without running any tests). She has been sort of "hunching" down, which is unusual, and doing this weird stretchy walk where she looks like she's trying to walk and stretch out her legs at the same time. Her behavior is off; she's a bit lethargic. The vet put her on antibiotics a few days ago and she seems a little better, but the fact that she's so skinny is making me nervous. I've been giving her a high calorie/vitamin supplement every day, though her appetite is normal. Several days ago she just up and dropped weight. Her eating habits hadn't changed a bit. This is when I checked her gums and made the vet appointment. Decided not to wait out the weekend and took her in Saturday night during their emergency visit hours. So she's been on the antibiotic for a few days, but I'm convinced now that she needs testing. So off we go to a different vet tomorrow morning.

So off we go to a different vet tomorrow morning.
You'll be finished and home before I read what the latest is, but again. Prayers and good thoughts for you both. I have a feeling she's gonna be alright though I've no special powers, I just feel it. I'm a Mom, does that count? ;)

Seriously, not to make light too much, but she's got your love and her age going for her!

Will be watching...S9

Ella:

Her youth will help. Her symptoms are odd though, but it doesn't sound like Aids. ;) Has she been vacinated for that and leukemia? If she is an outdoor kitty who is having sex, those are diseases that can be a danger. Not that she has either one. I am not trying to suggest that.

Yeah, keep us posted. I don't really know the sounds of this one.

Breeze

No lectures here Ella, just concern. I'm with S9--I have absolutely no scientific basis for it, but I feel like, I dunno, she might be okay, no?

Please come back and let us know what the vet says.

Waiting hopefully,

lily

Ella:

My thoughts and prayers are with you, sweetie.

The results of the bloodwork will tell you a lot. It's infinitely better to know what's going on than to worry about what it could be.

Take care. My best to you and kitty.

revlow

PS - Have they done any urine tests yet? That too could tell you much.

Have they done any urine tests yet? That too could tell you much.

No testing yet, and since I'm agoraphobic the last visit was nerve-wracking; I didn't insist on testing when I should've because I just wanted out of there. This time I'm armed with a laundry list of tests recommended by various cat people in-the-know, and a vet tech, and I'm taking her to a different hospital.

Will update later!

You all were right (I bow to the wisdom of CBers), she's fine. I'd fixated on what the previous vet said about feline AIDS and leukemia. Such things have a habit of lodging themselves in my brain.

She has a nasty UTI and is on amoxicillin. Her liver count is really high, but the vet said it could be due to stress. They didn't say whether or not she should be retested. I guess her inexplicable weight loss is due to the UTI?... The vet commented on her weight and they did all the appropriate tests. They even x-rayed her. Her uterine lining is on the thick side, but she does need to be spayed. She was dehydrated (UTI), so they did an IV. She's temporarily on a diet of strictly moist food and is supposed to get as much fluid as possible. She already gets Whiskas cat milk and I can't think of other watery foods a cat would like. Chicken broth, maybe.

I have a feeling she's gonna be alright though I've no special powers, I just feel it. I'm a Mom, does that count?

Mothers do possess supernatural powers; I'm convinced of it. During my more delusional, and OCDed, days, I was convinced I had schizophrenia because my mom has an uncanny habit of knowing what I'm thinking about, and I interpreted that as mind-reading ability. Since there is no such thing (to the best of my knowledge!), I was sure it meant I was schizo-something. I've since realized that it's one of those preternatural mom abilities, like having eyes in the back of her head. Or making 50 cupcakes for a class party magically appear the morning after you'd belatedly told her you'd volunteered her for the job. Sometimes I'm impressed by the superhuman feats moms can pull off and other times it frightens me. ;)

Hi Ella,

That's wonderful news!!! I'm so happy to hear this!

If it's okay with the vet, give her the water from tuna packed in water (or maybe even packed in oil; I'm told a bit of oil is good for their skin). I bet she'll love it.

One of my cats loves milk, and the other loves yogurt. Again, if it's okay with the vet, maybe see if these tickle her fancy?

lily

She has a nasty UTI and is on amoxicillin. Her liver count is really high, but the vet said it could be due to stress.

Urinary tract infections are more common in male cats than in females, but are generally caused by too much ash in their diet. If you don't change her food, she may get it again. Oddly, vets don't tell you this very often.

I would up the quality of her food. Look on line or ask your vet for some good brands that are healthier. You may pay more, but kitty will eat less, be more healthy, and live a long full life.

You know what they say about the 9 lives!

Breeze

I'm glad things are looking better for your kitty. We just had a stray treated for a really bad case of mange and that was an ordeal, made worse by the fact we had to keep him isolated from our kitty. But he's all better now and has a nice new home with a big sister and brother to play with.

Tommy

Urinary tract infections are more common in male cats than in females, but are generally caused by too much ash in their diet. If you don't change her food, she may get it again. Oddly, vets don't tell you this very often.
Ah no ;) Does that mean I can't give her moist food any longer? I've been feeding her quality kitty food (pro plan, fancy feast, eukanuba, e.g.). I checked the labels and the max. amount of ash is 3%. Is that too high? The vet wants her on a diet of moist food only until her UTI clears up. Normally I give her dry and moist. Now she's eating moist and canned chicken, tuna, or salmon. Plus I give her Whiskas cat milk. She is so spoiled rotten right now that she'll probably demand the same cuisine when she's healthy, the little stinker.

We just had a stray treated for a really bad case of mange and that was an ordeal, made worse by the fact we had to keep him isolated from our kitty. But he's all better now and has a nice new home with a big sister and brother to play with.

Lucky kitty! I just found out recently that there are vet care grants for people who rescue kitties, though I think you'd have to go through a rescue organization or the humane society. There should be something for people who adopt strays, since they're just one step removed from ending up at the humane society anyway. (I guess it might be hard to prove that the kitty was a stray, though.)

Thanks again to everyone for the good wishes. :)

She's eating like a little pig now but still looks emaciated. If anyone knows whether or not this is normal for a kitty recovering from a UTI, let me know, Ok? It still worries me and I might give the vet a call tomorrow.

She is so spoiled rotten right now that she'll probably demand the same cuisine when she's healthy, the little stinker.

yep, that's what happened to me. tuna juice, or tuna meat in a little water, is very acceptable to kitties.

Archived