CrazyBoards.org

panic attacks

Guest M

(((ML))) I'll come back and write more in a bit..am on library pc and only 5 mins...

But...I hear you. I know how they feel. Its the PTSD and the anxiety. have you tried rescue remedy, or a beta blocker? I find propranolol really helps me.

But what most helps me is human reassurance and understanding.

Thinking of you, and will be back asap.

I find propranolol really helps me.

thanks nestling, but does propronolol help with the

think you're losing your mind part of panic?

someone said it only works on the psysical aspects

like losing breath and heart palps.

those are bad but nothing like the mental stuff. you know?

hi, I'm back. ((ML)) keep concentrating on your breathing. feel your feet on the floor. wiggle your toes. cuddle a soft toy if it helps. keep talking to us.

to answer your ? re propranolol, yes, it does seem to. because as my heartrate and such slow down, so does my mind and feelings.

I JUST GOT HOME!

I am the expert on panic attacks. Although Nestling has been doing a great job.

There is nothing worse. But here is the deal: they are just thoughts. They can't hurt you. They are just really really unwanted thoughts.

Breathing is key. When we have panic attacks, we tend not to breathe. Keep your breathing slow and steady. If you have some soothing music, put that on. I have some great meditation music I will send you in a pm - the link to get it. I have all 5 CD's. They help me so much.

If you have to, sit right down again and focus on your breathing. Slowly. In, out, deep breaths, but not fast. S L O W.

Focus only on your breathing nothing else.

And ML: remember: They are just thoughts.

Sorry I just saw this. ;)

I'm here for you for a little while longer then I have to leave.

Breeze

hiiiiii.

thanks breeze and nestling so much.

i had a shower cause have to go to tdoc soon.

but i'm back for now.

see my quote? "The breakdown feared already happened"... I find that often helps me, when I fear losing control, falling forever, disappearing and all those terrifying things.

all the best for your tdoc appt.

I think that if you tell yourself you won't go psychotic, and try and distract yourself with breathing and calming yourself - you won't.

I think that nurse put that in your head and now it's stuck.

When my husband is getting psychotic, I can get him to focus on other things. Music really helps him. That is his key. He is way older than us too. ;)

Focus on you. We are all different. And I understand about the physical feeling of panic. Been there. Done that. Hate that.

Trying to calm yourself really helps.

And so do the meds.

Hang in there.

Breeze

see my quote? "The breakdown feared already happened"... I find that often helps me, when I fear losing control, falling forever, disappearing and all those terrifying things.

all the best for your tdoc appt.

thank you nestling.

just feels like constantly reliving the breakdown already happened.

if that makes any sense.

I think that nurse put that in your head and now it's stuck.
wow. i think you have something there.

When my husband is getting psychotic, I can get him to focus on other things. Music really helps him. That is his key. He is way older than us too. ;)
yes for me too the goal during the episode seems to be about distraction. distraction from all the stimuli and focus on getting grounded back in body.

thanks for the cd links and ideas and support breeze.

it really means a lot to me.

i don't think you are going 2 have a psychotice breakdown. i'm with Breeze, the nurse was running her mouth &now the idea is stuck.

the silly talkies right before...i'm wondering if that's part of the aura & if this is not just a panic attack but some kind of weird seizure thing because of the visual/physical things you describe? and because your med helps & it's an antiseizure med. nto a doctor though.

i don't think you'll go nuts. i think it's physical symptoms. that means it will pass. do what Breeze says, keep moving around like you do, concentrate on other physical sensations like feel of stuffed animal or scents or pictures?

I used to have absolutely random panic attacks. No bad thoughts whatsoever and bam, my digestive system goes into turmoil, back tightens up, sweat and heart goes bonkers. I would always just lie down. Antidepressants eventually made them pretty much go away.

As far as drugs, a quick acting benzo like Ativan would probably be much better than Klonopin (sp?) although mine came on so fast I don't know if Ativan would have helped.

I've gotten to that point recently too...daily panic attacks I mean.

My biggest fear during an attack is that it's just not going to stop, and I'll feel like this forever. Even though I know it won't.

Right now what helps me the most is just telling myself over and over that I came back from the last panic attack, and I'll come back from this one too. The ativan helps too.

Guest V(AL)ium

ML, Nestling, and all--For me, Panic and the adrenaline that keeps it going cannot be stopped by reasoning it away. It is just like that finger tube novelty where you put your fingers in and pull. The harder you try to pull your finger out, the tighter you get stuck in there! As soon as you relax your fingers and just let go, the grip is released and your fingers slip out free!

Of course, a fast acting benzo will help. Also as meny mentioned by many, the thought that the panic has ALWAYS passed, and you WILL survive is the best medicine.

Much love. caring, and empathy to all from a fellow panic disorder guy

--AL

Archived