CrazyBoards.org

Ok, I did the not very sensible thing of walking out in the very hot sun without a hat or drinking water. Yes, I know its kind of self destructive...

The problem is now I have heat stroke. I feel really hot, and dizzy, on point of feeling I'll faint, dizzy.

I've drunk a lot of fluid (fruit juice) and now I cannot drink any more water or I feel my belly will explode.. (I also have PMS, with water retention...)

I guess its just lie down with cold water soaked cloth on my head?

Any other tips?

Instead of water or fruit juice, get yourself some gatoraid. Avoid greasy foods for a while as well...it will make you feel all sick and pukey.

Gatoraid, fresh fruits and veggies, rest....all these thigs were prescribed for me after I passed out due to heat stroke. I was in a drum & bugle corps and had marched 2 parades in a row in 90

Actually you have Heat Exhaustion.

Heat exhaustion leaves you red faced and perspiring.

Heat stroke leaves you pale and dry and is an immediate life threatening situation requiring medical treatment. It can kill you or leave you permanently disabled.

Gatorade would be good. Otherwise, you should eat some salty foods. Besides water you need to replace salt lost in perspiring.

a.m.

thanks WZ...

well, I've had dinner, and, yes, it did make me feel pukey, I don't think it was that greasy, even so.

gatorade is out for above mentioned reason (my belly is distinctly bloated) but I'll get some tomorrow....

ugh, my head feels so hot...will go and lie down in a mo.

thanks AM. dinner was salty, so that's covered.

out of curiousity, is sun stroke something different in US and UK?

Dammit AM, you always beat me to it, lol.

No Nestling, AM had it right. Heat Exhaustion is just serious overheating. You May pass out but can be roused out of it. Treatment, Get somewhere cool, preferably indoors, hydrate with water and gatorade. Heat Stroke, is where you get so overheated that your body starts shutting down and becomes a medical emergency. You usually do pass out and can't be roused out of it. Treatment, seek immediate medical attention, whether that's calling an ambulance or having someone rush you to ER. There's a difference.

Hope you're feeling better nest.

Croix

No, I don't think there is any difference in medical terminology across the pond.

Even here in the US, people refer to 'heat stroke" because they don't know any better.

Heat stroke is actually fairly rare, because most people stop their activity and go for help, shade, water when they reach the heat exhaustion stage.

I think that heat stroke is more common among older folks, because they are not able to handle the heat as well, and perhaps among construction workers, because they are younger, strong and working on deadlines and tend to ignore physical stresses (not to mention they don't get paid for standing around).

a.m.

Once upon a time, long long ago, my Mom bought me a new pair of Nike running shoes. I was a jogger back in the day. So, the new shoes felt so great that I ran my usual route and then ran it again, covering twice the normal distance in the hot summer sun.

I came home, felt sick, filled the tub with cold water, and got in.

It freaked my Mom out, but I was much better after a couple of hours. So, get in a cold tub and lower your body temp.

Ok, I did the not very sensible thing of walking out in the very hot sun without a hat or drinking water. Yes, I know its kind of self destructive...

The problem is now I have heat stroke. I feel really hot, and dizzy, on point of feeling I'll faint, dizzy.

I'll concur with the "heat exhaustion" points AM made, to a point. However, it is a continuum of misery and

the one CAN progress to the other as dehydration worsens and body temperature regulation progressively

fails. It doesn't help that cognition/self-awareness are also made shaky by the whole package.

I've drunk a lot of fluid (fruit juice) and now I cannot drink any more water or I feel my belly will explode.. (I also have PMS, with water retention...)

I guess its just lie down with cold water soaked cloth on my head?

Any other tips?

Ice-cold drinks (like Americans prefer) aren't so helpful as you'll throttle back your intake. Better would

be something at room temperature (as long as the room isn't at 30+ C).

Sports drinks are OK - Gatorade is probably better for you diluted with clean water. Fruit juice should also be diluted.

Carbonated drinks will "fill" your stomach faster - bad idea, as the space taken up by foam should be used

for fluids.

Caffeinated drinks are bad in that the caffeine is a diuretic. Diuretics are no friend to someone who is

dehydrated. That said, iced tea at room/tapwater temp doesn't slake thirst all that well, so you can

chug until your stomach IS full.

There's much to be said for lying down on the floor with your feet slightly raised and even a fan blowing across you in your wet/sweaty clothes.

A cool, NOT COLD!, shower or bath is also helpful.

If that's not possible, you can sometimes get away with wrapping a bag of frozen vegetables in a towel

and holding that across the back of your neck.

Oh yeah, it's hard to get properly rehydrated in just one setting. Expect to feel wiped out for a couple of

days after you've overdone it. You may not feel thirsty, but you'll still need to be drinking more than usual.

Thanks for the advice, Null0trooper. I'll bear it in mind when the temp rises again. Its cooled down a fair bit here.

I don't do carbonated or caffeinated drinks anyway.

*puts frozen peas on shopping list*

Null0trooper is absolutely right with the advice.

I can only stress the importance of cooling the back of your neck and other temperature-sensitive areas. That will have the most impact if this occurs again. All you can really do is cool yourself, rest, and try not to lose consciousness. Try holding something tightly in your hand & focusing on it if the last part gets difficult.

Glad you're feeling better. ;)

thank you Cetkat.

Its supposed to rain here today.....is a relief, for me. I feel far more comfortable when its cool out. Its part of my PTSD-having been born premature and my skin is very sensitive, symptom thing. Anything over about 21oC and its out of my comfort zone....I can handle it being cold, because I can put the layers on and hide.....

thank you Cetkat.

Its supposed to rain here today.....is a relief, for me. I feel far more comfortable when its cool out. Its part of my PTSD-having been born premature and my skin is very sensitive, symptom thing. Anything over about 21oC and its out of my comfort zone....I can handle it being cold, because I can put the layers on and hide.....

nestling, I was born premature also. Could you tell me more about the ptsd you mention? I was in an incubator for 3 months because I was so small.

Archived