CrazyBoards.org

"Bipolar" Stigma in Jane Magazine

Guest Guest_Loon-A-TiK_*

Guest Guest_Loon-A-TiK_*

Hiya-

Pick up the June/July version of Jane magazine (mag for women in their '20s-'30s), and you'll find a section that is devoted to dealing with weirdo bosses. One of the boss "profiles" is the "Bipolar Boss". This is simply a boss who changes his or her mind and expects you to redo things or keep up with these weird and constant changes.

I don't know about you, but not only does that NOT describe BP, but it promotes stigma and adds to the notion that we're just unreliable freaks.

Thanks for the link! They're getting a letter from me. I'm going to check and see if they have an email link so I can just give them a piece of my mind right now. I'll send a link to this page so they can see we all think they suck!

loon

EDITED

here's what I wrote to them:

Your description of the "Bipolar Boss" in your June/July edition was very stigmatizing and insensitive. It is belittling to the millions of us who suffer from this serious medical condition for our entire lives. And besides, your description of the Bipolar Boss doesn't even fit what a Bipolar person would actually be like or do. Please stick to expressions that do not promote stigma or offend the mentally interesting.

Melinda

Archived