CrazyBoards.org

Dealing Positively With OCD Sufferers

Hiya-

I have a couple of loved-ones who have OCD to various degrees. One is so bad that he must have a certain parking spot on the street, and if he doesn't get it, he'll check on his car every few hours to make sure it is still there! He also takes his blood pressure and temp. constantly to make sure he is healthy. OCD OCD OCD!!!!

So, how can I help? They don't want to get pharmacological or talk treatment, having written these off for various reasons. Is there any special way to handle them? I need to be educated!

Loon

Guest quadrophenia_toolazytologin

They don't want to get pharmacological or talk treatment, having written these off for various reasons.

Then, there's nothing you can do for them, harsh as that may sound. Don't enable them with kid gloves. Elvis is right; just treat them as anyone else. Managing their MI is their responsibility.

They don't want to get pharmacological or talk treatment, having written these off for various reasons.

Then, there's nothing you can do for them, harsh as that may sound. Don't enable them with kid gloves. Elvis is right; just treat them as anyone else. Managing their MI is their responsibility.

A good starting point might be to buy a book about OCD which can then do the rounds of the various people who need to read it.

They may read it and to one degree or another say, "hey thats a little like me". There is the possibility of a negative reaction, so buy the book for yourself and then suggest that they read it because its very interesting.

Check out the "books" section of this board for a really good OCD book by Hyman.

Archived