CrazyBoards.org

ive run out of wellbutrin - having trouble getting it refilled

ive been taking wellbutrin xl 150mg for 3 weeks. ive been taking samples from the dr office. on monday i tried to get my fist actual rx filled but ran into problems when the pharmacist said the insurance company is requiring prior authorization from the dr office. great! my pdoc office has been closed all week. the pharmacist is gonna try again today but im worried that A) the pharmacist wont be able to reach the pdoc again today or that B- the pharmacist will reach the pdoc but the insurance company will reject the authorization.

anyway, i think theres only a 50/50 chance im gonna get this rx filled. aside from the fact that if i dont get this filled i wont have any AD, im also worried about any withdrawal effect i may experience.

anyone with any advice greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

i think you will probably be all right, even if there is a delay in getting the scrip filled. if you are able to contact the pdoc's office yourself, call and see if they can give you another sample pack while you wait. that may also help you get the pdoc's office's attention, to speed up the authorisation process. if the office knows about it, you might also be able to get in sooner to assess other scrip options if your company won't okay the wellbutrin (though this is unlikely; they make it a hassle, but when this happened to a friend, they did authorise it.) it may be that your ins company wants you on generic WB, which isn't made in the extended-release dosing formulation the XL offers, but this is something your insurance and your pdoc will work out for you.

if the office is closed, or otherwise impossible to contact, sometimes some pharmacies will advance you a few days' worth of your prescription, if you're short and they can't contact your doc.

wellbutrin doesn't tend to have nasty withdrawl symptoms, so even if you can't get your scrip filled for a few days, you should be all right. do what you can to get the scrip filled, but everything should be fine even if you're out of WB for a bit. keep taking the pills as prescribed until they're gone - don't skip doses or cut them in half. you won't get awful withdrawl symptoms or anything even if the dosing's interrupted - at least, i never have, and i stopped it cold-turkey twice. most others i know who have discontinued WB have had the same experience.

good luck!

thanks for responding. i did get a hold of the pdocs office. theyre gonna work on the authorization at the end of the day, which by that time im gonna be gone and wont be able to pick it up. i have to leave before the pharmacy opens in the morning and will be gone all day so i guess i'll just be out till friday - thats IF i get the authorization. i took my last one today. thanks again for the response.

Good luck figuring out all this insurance company garbage.

Like Hal said, I've stopped and started Wellbutrin a couple of times and haven't gotten any weird withdrawal symptoms. It doesn't touch seratonin, which I think is supposed to be part of the reason for that? But I might be totally mistaken or pulling that out of my ass, so don't even listen to it.

You don't have a 24 hour pharmacy around?

You don't have a 24 hour pharmacy around?

heck no! i live on a mountain where everything is at least 20 minutes away. and i mean everything! but its nice and almost like heaven! ;)

i put a picture of my mountain in the fall on my profile. :):cussing:

This is the second time this week someone has mentioned needing prior authorization to get a prescription refilled. What the hell is a prescription if it's not "authorization"???? How aggravating!!

This is the second time this week someone has mentioned needing prior authorization to get a prescription refilled. What the hell is a prescription if it's not "authorization"???? How aggravating!!

RIIIIIGHT! but see, the rx is prior auth from the pdoc. whats happening now is that im needing prior auth from THE INS CO.! THEY get to decide if what the dr auth is good for me or not. and THEY get final authority over whether i get prior auth or not!

and THATS whats aggravating - that the dr cant make a diagnostic decision without some suit in an ins office, who's never seen me, waving his magic wand!

I've got the same thing, betcsu! My doctor gave me several weeks of Wellbutrin XL to see how I did on it. I had tried the SR version a year ago, and I felt sleepy on it. When we established that the XL version works for me, he wrote the prescription.

My insurance requires that I buy my meds from a mail-order place, which immediately refused the script for the XL because the SR is the generic Budeprion (SP?) and they want you to take that first. Fortunately, I anticipated this reaction and had my doc's office all ready with my records from last year. (It also helped that I was on Cymbalta for a year, and also tried Zoloft. They don't fight you so much if you've tried other stuff.)

Hey, my insurance company fought me (and my doc) on the spiral CT scan he had prescribed.......it took me 10 months of back-and-forth to get the insurance people to pay the xray people who did the scan.

It's the system and it sucks. Big time.

olga

I did that whole thing this past year. If you've been on it long enough for it to be effective, you risk losing that after about a week (I don't know if you're in school or not, or if you're off for the summer or not, but that kinda big time fucked things up for me). As for other withdrawl, I didn't have ANY problems. First couple days were actually fine, and then after that it was just back to sleeping way too much.

Archived