CrazyBoards.org

Where have all the Hippies Gone?

Don't know whether this one should go under "Relationships", "Spirituality", "News and Politics", "People Suck" or what...

But "Lifestyle Alternatives" seems nicest.

Question:

Where have all the Hippies gone?

Ye Olde Cosmik Peace Truth Love and Global Brotherhood types.

Where do they lurk in this webby world?

I was too young when they were in their prime, and now I'm too old, I feel they were the best thing this sorry planet has seen in centuries and they now they have gone.

So we've tried it the "salary man" way for a few decades.

It sucks.

The attitude sucks.

The salary sucks.

The job sucks.

The future sucks.

Come back Hippies, you were right all along.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Find me a self-sustaining commune that is not being watched by the

FBI for their incredible weapons collection, teach me how to garden, I will happily go totally vegetarian.

I would LOVE to wear all of those pretty skirts and let my hair go free in the wind, with one of those ribbon-y things in it...

(Deleting what is sure to be a controversial view.)

I am not opposed to hard labor, but this isn't an easy way to live.

Bring it on. Find me a commune. Let's GO!

No weapon cache or religious leader though, K?

I think there are laws against this.

Free love is sounding pretty good. After everyone has had an AIDS test. Oh, how reality gets in the way.

Peace. love and crabs, dude,

Sam

Or just look for a Drum Circle.

There is also a large number of hippies in the belly dance community. As a non-hippy, I am WAY in the minority. (Plus I am "metaphysically challenged" so I got that working against me ;) )

We're here, man.

28.jpg

We're all the middle-aged dudes working as teachers and social workers and musicians and librarians.

We built the sloop "Clearwater" with Pete Seeger and talked people into cleaning up the Hudson River.

We started food coops and thrift stores and food banks for the needy. We volunteer at the community theatre and the library and we lead Scout troops and soccer leagues.

We're a little too fat to wear the jeans and the granny dresses we used to love, but our hearts are the same.

Got any smoke?

They live in Eugene! We have the world's oldest Saturday Market and being caught with less than an oz of pot is a misdemeanor and like a $100 fine.

It's starting to get less that way, though. Because it's a college town there's a lot of turnover, and the 18 year old kids showing up are much more into the "mod" thing.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean by "where do they lurk in this webby word?" or not.

http://www.indymedia.org/en/index.shtml

http://www.idealist.org/if/idealist/en/Home/default

http://www.democracyforamerica.com/ (Howard Dean's volunteer team stuck togatheer and kept growing long after the primaries and election was over. Less radical than the two above.)

If you're looking for stuff being organized in your area PM me. I was a pretty hardcore activist when I was a mostly functional human being and have managed to hang on to some contacts.

If you're thinking you might want to get involved with something and are together enough to do so, for god's sake, do it. Now is the time.

hippies?

shudder. sooooooo not a fan of hippiedom. i'm waaaayyyy to much of a prude. plus i can't stand pot. the smell, the effects. bleah. i totally would have been one of the short-haired types desperately hoping for some new angry music to come along - and utterly rejoicing when punk finally did.

here's a quote i love from the cartoon 'family guy'.

Peter Griffin: Oh, boy! I remember my first job. I was in a folk music trio.

[cuts to a room in the 1970s, Peter is sitting with Art Garfunkel and Paul Simon]

Peter Griffin: Hey, how about "Here's to You, Mrs. Fleckenstein"?

Paul Simon: Yeah, you've been pitching that for an hour. It's just not a very attractive name.

Peter Griffin: [petulant] Oh, fine, fine. I guess were also not going with "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Lowery's Seasoning Salt."[scoffs, leaves] That's it! I'm going to 'Nam.

grouse

And since no has mentioned it yet:

http://www.bonnaroo.com/2006/

Why can't they ever announce the lineup BEFORE it's sold out? Last year it was mostly jam bands so we were not going to save up.

This year, to name a few?

Sonic Youth.

Motherfucking Radiohead.

Les Claypool

Bright Eyes

Death Cab for Cutie

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

My Morning Jacket

Nickel Creek

Neville Brothers

Elvis Costello and the Imposters

Beck

Cypress Hill

Shooter Jennings

The Streets

Son Volt

Bonnie Rait

Steve Earle

and of course, phil lesh and friends (cos it's a hippie thing)

ok then.

In view of that-

Definition of hippie please.

sigh, here we go. a demonstration of just how incredibly narrow my mind is.

i tend to by highly cynical.

i think of hippies as people who did a ton of drugs and had sex all over the place. basically, hedonists.

grouse.

ok then.

In view of that-

Definition of hippie please.

sigh, here we go. a demonstration of just how incredibly narrow my mind is.

i tend to by highly cynical.

i think of hippies as people who did a ton of drugs and had sex all over the place. basically, hedonists.

grouse.

hehehe!!!

Archived