CrazyBoards.org

Pdoc wants to replace my wellbutrin with trazodone. He prescribed 25-50 mgs taken at bedtime. Will this dose have any AD effect at all? It's also going to be my sleep med. Has anyone found it useful for sleep issues?

I found this at antidepressantsfacts.com/trazodone.htm

Trazodone is termed an "atypical" tetracyclic antidepressant since it has antidepressant and also anxiolytic and hypnotic activities. It is a powerful antagonist of 5HT2A receptors and has some serotonin reuptake blockade actions. Trazodone is used for the treatment of depression, and is particularly beneficial to older patients due to its combination of sedation without anticholinergic effects (Goeringer et al, 2000).

I have taken it before and it does help you sleep. I really don"t remember the AD effect. It has been a while. I'm sure it did help.

Pdoc wants to replace my wellbutrin with trazodone. He prescribed 25-50 mgs taken at bedtime. Will this dose have any AD effect at all? It's also going to be my sleep med. Has anyone found it useful for sleep issues?
That seems like an odd choice. I thought that trazodone had pretty much been abandoned, except as a sleep medicine with extremely mild AD properties. (As an AD, people usually can't get up to a therapeutic dose due to the sedation...)

It seems like nefazadone (Serzone), which is chemically related to trazodone, might be a better choice. Yes, there is a risk of hepatoxicity, but that's exceedingly rare and can generally be avoided with careful monitoring.

Good luck,

cache-monkey

[edited to add a dropped word]

I took it for six months or so. The big problem was it wears off quick so the dosage kept on being increased, I was on 200mg when I stopped taking it for another med.

take care

trg247

trazadone in low doses (usually 50-100 mg but sometimes higher) can really help with sleep. in higher doses (above 150mg, with dosage for depression usually being around 300-400mg) it kicks in as an antidepressant, but some people loose the sleeping-pill-like effect at higher doses.

i'd venture that your doctor is planning on slowly increasing your dosage untill you get the right effect. it's more commonly used as a sleeping pill now than as an AD but i'm sure someone will come along who has used it for depression.

penny

cachemonkey: serzone was pulled off the market in the US in 2004 due to liver damage issues.

Hi I was on Trazadone for years and it knocked me out at 50 mg consistently but only lasted 4 -5 hours.

Considering my severe sleep disorder, it was the best non addictive choice for me at the time while adding

an anti-d factor as well. Combined with another anti depressant... (so it is wrtten by the med Gods) the

effects of both are increased.

Good luck to you.. Frosty(PS I still sleep awful, no matter what I take) Sheesh

I think the only AD effect of trazodone at lower doses would be augmentation of SS(N)RI treatment (as said above), by blocking the 5HT2A receptor, which when activated, could cause anxiety. If you ask me, plain SSRI treatment is fairly crude, as there are quite a few serotonin receptors that those with comorbid anxiety would be better off avoiding the activation of. But that's just my wild-ass guess, and also that from personal experience - Cymbalta didn't do jack for me until trazodone was added for sleep issues.

They started me on 150mg trazodone (which with Cym. lifted me out of depression pretty well), but after a year I had to increase to 300mg to get the sleep support. That's when I switched to Remeron. =P

(And yes, I have a liver and/or CNS of steel - My AST/ALT was completely normal after 6+ months of alcoholism, FWIW.)

cachemonkey: serzone was pulled off the market in the US in 2004 due to liver damage issues.
Correct, BMS stopped selling Serzone, although they insisted this was due to slumping sales, rather than the liver issue. But, the generic (nefazodone) is still commonly available.

Trazadone has been a great sleep medicine for me, but I'm sure I don't take enough for any AD effects. I take 75-100 mg for sleep.

My mother's been taking it for sleep since it was available and has never had to increase the dosage above 100 mg.

Thanks to everyone! I suspect my pdoc is tricking me into thinking the trazodone could replace the wellbutrin. The Wellbutrin is making me feel a little wired and racy but I ended up suicidal without it. I am just so confused as to wheter he even plans on raising it to a theraputic level or he's just being tricky. I'll be sure to ask at my appt. Friday. Thanks again!

Archived