CrazyBoards.org

sleep hallucinations

I suffer from and extremely overactive mind and imagination. Sometimes when I am falling asleep I'll have all sort of hypnogalgic hallucinations (not sure if I spelled it right). For instance, I've looked at my bedroom wall before and for a second or two it looks like a giant machine, with gears spinning and circut boards. One time a trap door opened in my chest and an anchor lowered from the ceiling into my chest. The thing is, they only last for a couple of seconds, and if I intentionally stare at them while they are still visable, they will sort of fade away, almost like they were made of smoke.

Standard Answer #15:

Odd noises, voices, visions while falling asleep and awakening are extremely common among all people. These are properly referred to as Hypnagogic and Hypnopompic Hallucinations. Given no obvious psychotic features during normal awake times or other type of major sleep disorder, doctors do not normally concern themselves with these experiences. It is considered to be the result of the brain shifting from dreaming to awake conciousness.

Also, if you take a sleep aid like Ambien can cause visual hallucinations, and less commonly auditory.

If you are concerned about them, ask your Pdoc.

a.m.

I noticed you also take seroquel. Theres nothing like a psycho dream party if you're taking seroquel. I can't even put number to the strange dreams I've had in every phase of sleep while on seroquel these past few years.

Lilie

Also, if you take a sleep aid like Ambien can cause visual hallucinations, and less commonly auditory.

Would benzos cause this too? I've had auditory and visual and they really freaked me out. They don't happen often but when they do it's when I'm really depressed.

• 3 years later...

I once woke up thinking I had snakes crawling on my neck. I could fly I was peter pan. I was fighting. I could go on forever and I can't distinguish if its real or not when I wake up. I have to think about it first.

Archived