CrazyBoards.org

Zydis/Zyprexa(Olanzapine) makes me fat

Hiya-

I went from 119lbs to 130lbs in the 3 weeks I've taken Z. I take the Zydis form that is supposed to help you lose weight rather than gain it.

I don't know if I can blame Z or different factors. I stopped WB, that could be it, as it controls my binge tendancies. Or maybe that I'm not working, and have 24X7 access to the fridge. Maybe I need to run more. Any ideas on how to get rid of these lbs and back to my girly figure? I'm neurotic about it, I know!

Z is famous for this.

It's crazy. You can get diabetes that won't go away if you're not careful.

um.

Metformin is a med that can help.

It might be worth revisiting topomax as a mood stabilizer as it can help with this.

Eat as if you're diabetic, pretty much. Atkins might be enough. Avoid sugars, starches, complex carbs etc. Watch what you eat.

"Eat as if you're diabetic, pretty much"

Good advice VE. My girlfriend who was recently diagnosed as diabetic was told by her doc "Just think South Beach Phase 2 for the rest of your life and you will do OK".

Little things you can do include switching from white rice to brown rice, from regular pasta to whole wheat, from softdrinks with sugar to Splendar or Nutrasweet. Your taste buds may rebel so start mixing things 50/50 for a while before going to the full grain things or total diet soda (or skip soda all together).

I pretty much avoid bread and potatoes. This has not necessarily helped me lose weight, but I stopped gaining...which is a good thing ;)

The sad thing is that I'm already pretty good with my diet. The only problem is that the Z has introduced the insane desire to binge. I mean binge. I'm going to see my pdoc in the AM and let him know how bad it is, that it has to stop, and ask what we can do to figure it out. I'm not going to get fat over this crap. I love Z, but I love fitting into my clothes too. ;)

I'm with the rest on the low carb band wagon. However, I am veggie.

I am going for more of a lower carb, low fat, absolutely no sugars diet. I ordered some Medifast products because I am a lazy dieter.

The thing about eliminating the sugars (including starches which convert to sugar anyways) is it will decrease your appetite. Helpful when you are on these meds that make you want to chew off you're own arm.

I cheated a bit this weekend, but I'm back on the wagon today. We can support each other. Lean and green meals only!!! Meat (or soy/tofu) and salads are the way to go. Don't eat any fruits at first either. Once you're cravings are controlled add low glycemic fruit like strawberries and apples in small doses. Absolutely no bread, pasta, sugar or rice at all!!!

Splenda is a good sweetener, derived from sugar, more natural and better than apartame.

Ok, those are my tips and basically what I am trying to do. Best of luck to us both!

Dee xo

thanks dee. i'm vegan, however i'm unemployed and have to eat whatever i can from the food the food banks give me, so sometimes i have to eat nothing but green beans or pasta or whatever for a week and then get something else. this week it is pb&j.

zyprexa rules, but this stuff with the hunger is crazy. i'll just stop putting the jelly on the bread (the bread is whole wheat) and see how it goes. i don't have too much of a food choice, which gives me even less control over getting rid of zyprexa weight.

Archived