CrazyBoards.org

My choirmaster sucks!

Boz-pot

I'd love to know why my choirmaster doesn't want me to sing solos.

Yesterday at choirpractise we were singing Byrd's 'Teach me O Lord' - a verse anthem with a treble solo interchanging with full chorus. My mother sang it last time so the choirmaster asked who would like to sing it this time. I waited for a few moments not wanting to appear to keen or arrogant etc. then tentatively put my hand up. The look he gave me was like I was some disgusting stuff stuck to his shoe. He looked round the song room just incase anybody else was going to volunteer but they didn't and grudgingly said I could do it. I got a bit fed up at this point and said that I did not have to sing the solo and that if he'd rather somebody else did he should say so . He then muttered crossly "Oh, just sing it!" . He then very quietly began to play the introduction, then suddenly said to me "Are you going to sing with your legs crossed" I replied that I was just about to uncross my legs and that I didn't realise he had actually started in the first place as nobody else seemed ready and he was playing so inobtrusively that I thought he was just practising. One of the little girls (who is always getting solos) remarked that there was a charity box and that it was a 20p fine for each time you crossed your legs.

Eventually I did sing it and to my embarrassment went wrong in the final line. However, the piece is deceptively easy and is actually very hard to count and it's easy to miss entries as my mother (a professional singer) can testify from when she sang it. The little girl then decided to sing the final entry for me. I felt as if I were about to lose my temper and I almost said to her "Well you sing it then!"

Usually if a mistake is made we backtrack and repeat it until it's right but he didn't do that with me. He seemed to want to get through it as quickly as possible.

Afterwards I slowly got up, walked out and went to the toilet for a bit of a cry. My mother came to find me and agreed that he had been very unfair.

This sort of thing has happened before. My last solo I only got because the first choice girl had a sore throat. The time before I was third choice. He had originally asked my mother but she didn't feel comfortable singing a top C as her voice has changed with age. The second choice person didn't feel confident enough so it was given to me as my mother suggested me to him. I didn't realise all this at the time and was overjoyed and thanked him warmly. He said it was just because I was the only one capable of it. I never got any thanks either.

Back at christmas the choirmaster asked which of us would like to sing the first verse of a carol. I volunteered but then was told that somebody else wanted to do it. I felt stupid for volunteering but was also worried that others would think me arrogant. But why, oh why did he ask if he already had somebody in mind??!!

I blame it on two things:

1. Not being 58 and a professional opera singer and well established singing teacher (ie my mother who I of course do not bear a grudge against but I realise she is regarded as reliable by him). The same applies to my dad who is also a singer and gets bass solos, for which I am very proud

2. More importantly, I am not a cute little twelve year old. He seems top have a thing for the little girls in the choir and is always giving them solos and contratulating them.

I feel very rejected like I don't belong there because at 22 I'm stuck in the middle and am therefore invisible. He never thanks me. I don't want to be showered with praise but it would be nice to get some feedback so that I know I didn't completely mess up.

I wonder if it's my fault as I'm quite flirtatious and we did kiss once, but that was ages ago and if that's the reason he's bearing a pretty long grudge about it! I think I've behaved fairly well, plus it has nothing to do with my ability as as a singer. Maybe it's because I can't go when I'm at University but surely he must no that I'm reliable - I am a music student after all.

I really don't know what I've done to make him act like this towards me. Stupidly though, even though I'm angry towards him now, I can't dislike him per se. In fact generally speaking I like him a lot.

Gahh!

Boz

I know you said you like this guy in general, but he sounds to me like a total prick.

He obviously has something against you and is acting like a 5 year old.

Tell me which area he lives in and I will shout "Grow the fuck up" in his direction for you ;)

I know you said you like this guy in general, but he sounds to me like a total prick.

He obviously has something against you and is acting like a 5 year old.

Tell me which area he lives in and I will shout "Grow the fuck up" in his direction for you :)

I agree.

I am so sorry ;)

Thanks guys.

On Sunday he asked me if I wanted to practise it at Thursday's rehearsal. Keeping my cool I said "Well, that's entirely up to you, isn't it?"

I think he may have realised how much of a git he had been - let's hope so!

Archived