CrazyBoards.org

My pdoc can't give me any more samples. His nurse said it's because they were told because they are associated with a hospital, they aren't allowed because it makes them like a pharmacy, dispensing drugs. I don't know who told them this but it really stinks. My psychiatrist is expensive and the samples helped with cost. I may have to switch now.

Sorry they are cutting you off. You might check with your pharmacist and see if there is a generic available. There are some info files posted about registering for free meds if you qualify.

The drug companies allocate only so many samples per doctor per month. If lots are given to a few patients, then there are none for the remainder of the hundreds of the doctors patients.

Sometimes the drug companies will stop giving out samples of a drug. I had that happen this winter.

Getting free samples is a wonderful benefit. I wish Ford would give out sample F150 pickups.

a.m.

I always use generic when I can. It's the those that aren't available in generic that I get samples of. I am covered under a major medical insurance policy (which doesn't pay for my expensive psychiatrist) but only for a certain amount a year. So I don't qualify for free meds from the manufacturer.

Just getting some samples during part of the year was very helpfull because it would keep me under the yearly limit of what my major medical covers. Now I don't have that with this doctor.

I may need to think about another doctor for that and other reasons which is more than I can handle right now.

I would ask the doctor about this directly. Nothing against the nurse, but they don't always get things right. I have had a nurse in one appt tell hubby "no more samples" and then have the doc load him up with a ton the very next visit.

I can't actually talk to my doctor until I see him in July (every phone communication is relayed through his nurse). Getting a new pdoc is pretty scary but I may need to. I may post a message asking how to find another one, what questions to ask, etc.

Guest A member who wants to protect id

I shouldn't say this... but I will. Sounds like a lot of BS to me. A Dr. who writes enough Rx's will have an ample supply of samples (sad but true). I've already said a bit too much. I've said this other places on the board, I've slept with the other side (no I never worked for a pharma, but...). Your Dr. either doesn't know the system, doesn't want to give you the meds, or the nurse is lying to you. Sorry I'm too much of a wussie to respond registered, but I don't want to hurt someone I care about by being blunt.

Well, it smelled funny to me right from the beginning. I wiil have to wait til I see my doctor in order to know for sure. If he says the same thing, I'm thinking about switching.

However, should we expect samples from our doctors unless they are starter/trial samples?

I have a drug plan under my major medical insurance, but without some help with samples, my drugs go over the $1200 limit they will cover and I have to pay full price for a few months at the end of the year, which is terrible. We don't make much money.

Guest A member who wants to protect id

Well, it smelled funny to me right from the beginning. I wiil have to wait til I see my doctor in order to know for sure. If he says the same thing, I'm thinking about switching.

However, should we expect samples from our doctors unless they are starter/trial samples?

I have a drug plan under my major medical insurance, but without some help with samples, my drugs go over the $1200 limit they will cover and I have to pay full price for a few months at the end of the year, which is terrible. We don't make much money.

Yes, you should ask your Dr. If he's unwilling to give you the samples, given your insurance circumstances, switch. Pharma knows that samples will be used not only for starters/trials but also for people in your situation, so you should expect it. You've paid more than enough money to them, given the real cost of the drug. I'm just being honest, but I feel like such a traitor!

Archived