CrazyBoards.org

What is the DEAL with anti-ds and caffeine?

Although thankfully I didn't have a caffeine habit before I started meds, it saddens me that I can't drink an iced mocha without feeling all cracked out and anxious. I dunno--do mochas have way more caffeine than a cup of coffee? I am seriously ignorant about the world of coffee.

And is it possible that my meds (lexapro and wellbutrin) amplify the effects of caffeine?

I used to drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning and a latte in the afternoon but after starting wellbutrin I had to drop the afternoon latte because of the speedy jitters. Even the morning coffee makes me a little too zippy sometimes. And yes, 1 shot of espresso has a little more caffeine than 1 6oz cup of coffee, so if you're drinking a double mocha then it's about 2 1/2 -3 cups of coffee caffeine-wise.

I miss my lattes but I love my wellbutrin.

Yeah, it's probably the Wellbutrin + caffeine. I can't drink much caffeine at all while on WB. My guess on the mocha is though there's not more caffeine than in regular coffee, there's lots more sugar. Sugar + caffeine. + WB = me as shaky-handed human blender.

Chalk me up as another person who got caffeine sensitive on Wellbutrin. The kafe just seemed to exacerbate the jitteriness and tension I was already getting from the Wellby. Both hit the dopamine the norepinephrine systems, and it's especially the latter that's implicated in some types of anxiety. For me, when I added in Celexa I actually could drink caffeine again, though. Maybe give it some time?

I guess it was just the mocha that had mad caffeine or something...I had more than a cup of coffee and iced tea today and nada.

I think I might start consuming it on a regular basis because my problems with fatigue seem to be coming back. For a while the WB had taken care of that problem. On the other hand, it seems like people need more and more of it as time goes on...my fiance can down an entire pot of coffee and then some every day.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest espressogrrl

I guess it was just the mocha that had mad caffeine or something...I had more than a cup of coffee and iced tea today and nada.

coffee and espresso are really different. coffee has far less caffeine. espresso has more caffeine. One cup of coffee is coffee beans with water filtered through them and the brown water left over is coffee. espresso is the same thing but FAR less diluted. One tiny 3 ounces of expresso can be a cup or two of coffee.

a mocha, latte or cappacino are all espresso drinks. they are several shots of espresso plus milk or cream. the only difference between a latte and a cappacino is the foam. the only difference between a mocha and a lattee is added chocolate.

i love espresso (obviously) and it is a stimulant I unknowingly was self medicating (poorly and unknowingly) with for YEARS. (ADD) i drank at least a pot of coffee through out the day and had a 4 shot (yes 4) espresso drink every morning. mine favorite was a white chocolate rasperry mocha with soy instead of milk and whipped cream on the top. ;)

i'm on stims and i dont need it so much anymore...but i still love coffee in the morning and around 4 oclock to refuel me for the day.

Guest espressogrrl

thanks for the explanation, espressogrrl (hehe). Do you know what dopios, macchiattos, breves, and melanges (which is not a coffee drink I know) are? I'm sitting here scratching my head like "wtf?" when I'm looking at the menu of my coffee shop.

Absolutely thanks for asking!

like i said above, if it isnt a "cafe au lait" (fancy french shi shi term for plain old coffee) it is probably an espresso drink, meaning, espresso plus something else. so here they are...

latte = espresso + milk

cappacino = espresso + milk + FOAM (see footnote gripe number 1)

mocha (aka mocha latte) = spresso + milk + chocoloate

mochacino = cappacino (espresso+milk+foam) + chocolate

Macchiatto = NOT to be confused with a cappachino = shot of espresso + TINY bit of a dab of foamed milk.

***close your eyes, hold your nose, chug it like a shot and be bouncy all day *****

breve = espresso + 1/2 n 1/2 (heavy cream instead of milk)

vanilla breve = breve + vanilla

melange is coffee made up of a bunch of different strengths and tastes ("roasts") of bean.

anyway...that is a nutshell of what is supposed to be done. all coffee places cheat. ;)

During my 4th hospitalization they put me on a cocktail of Seroquel, WB, Paxil, and Lamictal. I could NOT touch caffeine. AT ALL. Even drinks claiming to not contain it do contain very trace amounts, and that was enough to make my heart pound out of my chest.

i got used to it and my body adapted to the drugs and the caffeine (another drug, i know), but for the longest time it was like that.

based on your posts, it seems that WB could have been the culprit.

Archived