CrazyBoards.org

CAn anyone give me some information about this drug? My dad got it prescribed for pain. He drinks heavily and i'm wondering if that is going to have any effect? Funny thing is i'm convinced the man is bi-polar, so isn't there a possibility it could send him into a manic phase?

There's a general belief that the tricyclics (of which nortriptyline is one) are more likely to induce mania than that SSRIs or MAOIs. However, I'm not sure how much evidence there actually is to support this. Also, I think that the doses prescribed for pain relief tend to be substantially below those for depression, which might reduce the risk of mania.

Does your dad see a psychiatrist or was this from a GP?

~cache-monkey

Also known as Pamelor.

Yeah the TCA's when used for pain relief are normally used at much lower levels than for psych illnesses.

Adverse reactions can include suicidality or hypomania. Flip a coin.

BTW, it can accentuate the effects of alcohol, so he could get drunk easier or be more unsteady.

In my opinion, using TCA's for pain relief is probably better than going directly to opiods. Years ago i used another TCA, Elavil for pain and migraines after a car accident. Takes time to work, but it does.

Good luck, a.m.

Its from his GP. For some reason the GP said that he didn't necessarily want my dad to take it but if it helped than great? I dunno, i'm waiting to see what happens. I talked to my mom about it and told her the possible effects it could have. He need to see a psyciatrist but, he is to stubborn! Go dad! lol
Has he ever seen a psych before? What leads you to think he's BP?

Its from his GP. For some reason the GP said that he didn't necessarily want my dad to take it but if it helped than great? I dunno, i'm waiting to see what happens. I talked to my mom about it and told her the possible effects it could have. He need to see a psyciatrist but, he is to stubborn! Go dad! lol
Has he ever seen a psych before? What leads you to think he's BP?

Mental ilness runs on his side of the family. I also read somewhere that alot of people that are alcoholics are actually bi-polar people self medicating. Also, his actions speak louder than words. Sometimes he's the most pleasent amazing person to be around and in a second he can turn into a ragging bull. I'm pretty sure that me being Bi-polar has something to do with the mental illness on my dads side. The only thing is that no one in his family has even been treated or properly diagnosed a mix of stubborness and just total lack of knowledge. To make a long story short my dad got in an accident at work and has been battling disability for about 2 years. My mom has been pressuring his GP to ask disability for a pysch. evaluation for me dad. He's gotten worse since the accident.

Does sound possibly bipolarish, or maybe borderline traits. But it'd definitely be better to have a formal evaluation than to do armchair diagnosis. Trouble is, my sense is that even if you get him in to a psych, he might not be fully forthright. Either because he'd have a tough time believing something's "wrong" or because he might not have the language/concepts in place to describe what he goes through.

Anyway, I hope he fares alright on the nortriptyline, and best of luck to you and your family.

~cache-monkey

Trouble is, my sense is that even if you get him in to a psych, he might not be fully forthright. Either because he'd have a tough time believing something's "wrong" or because he might not have the language/concepts in place to describe what he goes through.

Anyway, I hope he fares alright on the nortriptyline, and best of luck to you and your family.

~cache-monkey

You've hit the nail on the head. I don't think he'd have the ability to explain anything that goes on in his head and further more he doesn't think there is anything wrong with him. He grew up on a farm in South America and has missed out on ALOT of things that most people know about. I also think he kind of just detaches from the real world and lives in his own little made up world.

Thank you for the well wishes!

Guest Hodes

hello,

i was on nortriptyline 75mg for about 7 months. for biploar 2 depression. it helped a lot. i was taking topamax at the time also. in the beginning i felt great. depression started to disappear. then about 5 months after taking nortriptyline, i was started having racing thoughts (crying) and raging anger. every once in a while i would go drinking with my friends and drank a lot. it was probably the worse experience, i was extremely suicidal when drunk. the hangover sucked too. it seemed to last for 5 days. anyway, i would be extremely careful if your father drinks while on the medication. i wouldn't do it again. good luck.

Archived