CrazyBoards.org

The Zombie Effect

Hiya-

In a different thread, Tommy said his wife asked him if he was on drugs. Well, yes we are, and a lot of them are Atypicals.

I've gotten questioned too on whether I'm on some kind of drugs. According to these people, my eyes aren't all the way open and I seem spacey (that is just my personality though. I am a space case).

Has anyone else gotten this? Have you gotten drug screened at work, interrogated by friends and family, or received weird looks from your pet goldfish?

well, i look like a big-time junkie right now. had my blood drawn and i'm a tough draw. both my arms were tried, i ended up with bruised needle marks on both arms. and i see people looking at them. i almost want to announce "i'm not a junkie"

when i get zippy, i've heard the words "cocaine" spoken near me. i've also been asked what my favorite drug is.

when i try knockin it down with seroquel, i overshoot and end up nodding off--i've had a coworker wave at me in a funny way.

Some of my students have thought I was on street drugs. At that point I was trying to taper my Klonopin, so I was all jittery, wound up and sweating. And I kept on guzzling water out of my Nalgene bottle because I was dehydrated from my Lithium. I mean I was fucked up, but just not in the way they had in mind.

I don't think most normals have a clue about the side effects from meds, and especially med changes... But that's a rant for another day.

Anyway, I hear ya Loon. For me it's been hard to cover sometimes, so I end up working from home when I'm not teaching. (But then I end up feeling isolated and lonely.)

An easy way to end shitty comments is to wear a Medic-Alert® necklace or bracelet. I've found mine to be invaluable. At least here in the states. The cops around here don't give me any shit, I can pretty much come and go anywhere I need to and people don't really mind and if I'm having a hard time from my meds (like speech issues or dizziness, etc..) then people don't treat me like a junkie.

It's like Carte-Blanche for Crazies. And you don't even have to list your MI, you can just have "CALL IMMEDIATELY" engraved on the back.

It's just a thought. I know it's really cut down on the shitty comments for me.

Heh, most people mistake me for drunk 24/7, especially when I'm manic. I don't know what my meds do to me as far as symptoms, other than dialate my eyes, so I probably have more than a few people thinking I'm on drugs. It's so common amongst my age group that it's just assumed and not taken as a bad thing, though. Except for when I break down on the bus, then people start thinking I'm one of the city's many meth junkies... Idiots need to do their research.

hahaha, remeron and seroquel used to get me looks in school. I go to sleep late, so half the time I was still stoned when I got up.

Effexor used to make my pupils dilate too, a lot. I got a lot of questions about street drugs.

Guest Guest

I'm a teacher and my 7th grade students definitely thought I was on drugs! Miss ---- smokes rocks. That was written in several textbooks. Lots of strange looks and giggling. Somedays I had to take a little extra seroquel to make it through the day(pdoc approveddD) and then I was extra spacey and got a lot of strange looks-giggle, giggle....

I made the mistake of mentioning to a couple of co-workers that I had taken a painkiller for my migraine, and boy, did that get looks and comments. (When will I learn to shut my mouth?) Aren't painkillers perfectly acceptable for use in case of debilitating pain?

Maybe I will get one of those bracelets......mel1

noone has commented....but I have my worries. (am especially paranoid because I have NEVER taken drugs in my life...only prescribed stuff....I've never even smoked...)

starting on efexor made my pupils dilate too.

remeron is ok with me.

I was so seriously freaked out permenantly coming off efexor that I was waiting for someone to comment...but noone did.

can you get those medicalert things in the UK? would it be worth asking my GP, or the pdoc next time I see him? (in a month's time)

They must think something, because when I am at really high doses of Zyprexa and Abilify, I have to devote serious energy toward keeping my mouth from hanging open. No actual drooling, though, at least not when I am awake.

SG

embarassed

When I was hospitalized, a p-doc appeared and did an "evaluation" in just under 2 minutes. I was lying in a xanax-induced heap on a hospital cot.

He said: Hi, I'm doctor ______.

I said: Where are you from?

He said: That's not important. What is your diagnosis?

I said: Bipolar I.

He said: What drugs did you take?

I said: xanax and marijuana

He said: Who is your psychiatrist?

I said: Dr. ______.

That was the end of our transaction. When I checked out, I realized he'd written on my medical sheet "Bipolar I" and "polysubstance dependancy". How he decided I had a polysubstance dependancy, or any kind of dependancy, I have no idea. I could have told him I had SIDS and he would have written that down.

Now I owe him $259 for his incredibly thorough "evaluation".

My co-workers steer clear of me now that I just got out of the hospital. One of my friends said the reason I can't get stable is because I am on too many drugs. He says he worked at the state school and saw people on Depakote and they were drooling and such.

Next freakout I have, (hoping I don't have one)I am just going to go off my meds and see what happens. I'll show him, huh! Probably not a good idea.

My balance is off so I sort of run into things more than usual, and I fall into things more than usual, and trip over my feet more than usual. When I get really upset, I do have to pop a Xanax. I couldn't stop shaking today and it was intense. About 30 minutes later I was all sorts of mellow. Very nice.

Sam

My loving boyfriend told me that i look stoned, like my eyes weren't opened, and that no one would want to hire a stoned person...he went all off..

i need a med alert bracelet! no shame where there is none to be had!

• 1 month later...

i'm trying to find a medic-alert bracelet over the internet and i'm finding all these nice, beaded things and not the ugly, obviously metal ones i want. i guess it is over to my local drugstore! i wanted one that specifically said something aobut mental health and not just a generic "medical help" or "takes medication" one.

what's a good brand if you happen to know?

Thanks Navy!

for those who are interested, there are links there that will take you to different makers/sellers of various kinds of alert bracelets. some are for sports, some are pretty gold and engraved, the whold 9 yards!

personally, i want mine to be ugly and obvious.

drug store, here i come! lol

Is there a bracelet that says bystanders' assumptions are likely to be wrong?

Years ago, people who knew me well would think I was on drugs if I started to make sense. And often they were right.

yep, Ido, i wsh that were the case over here, but it isn't! actually being engaged and enjoying life isn't possible without my meds, yet it seems to matter that i sleep longer or have droopy eyelids. hey, if my eyelids are droopy, i need med alert bracelet to show the world i'm crazy and on mediction! lol

my family insists that when i'm not on medicatino that they can look in my eyes and see the "real" me. well, they may been a bright-eyed manic me! how i run around when i'm flying higher and higher never really registeed the them as dangerous.

Since I've been off my meds for the past 7 weeks I've gotten comments that I'm "myself" again. Maybe I am, but the downs were getting too low. That person was more lively and chatty. I think I have more thoughts. But too many thoughts just get in the way. Lamictal here I come. ;) I'm going back to be person that makes my husband, daughter and me happier.

I'm naturally a little spacey. My eyes usually look dialated anyway. Noone seems to look that closely beside my husband. When I was on Depakote I got the drugs comment. I got really spacey. When I first started Seroquel I got really spacey then, too. By that point I think most people just got used to it and didn't say anything.

Archived