CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin [bupropion] and Bp

I just recently added Wellbutrin to my mix and it actually seems to be helping. I have had a few days - the past few days-where I didn't want to just lie in bed all day thinking bad and negative thoughts. Before the ;) wellbutrin, I was having suicidal thoughts and obsessive thoughts about cutting myself. I had no intentions of offing myself, but i really couldn't stop thinking about cutting myself-I wanted to see how much damage I could do w/ my razor that I use to shave. One fine day, I did the deed. I tried cutting my wrists with that razor. All I got was some nasty red scratches and a feeling of failure, shame, and anger toward myself.

I knew I was in trouble when I started thinking about other cutting devices that might work better. Fortunately, this was happening close to my pdoc appt. I didn't tell my pdoc about the cutting thing because I was scared about being baker acted. I just told him I was having suicidal thoughts, but no intentions. That was when he put me on wellbutrin. Hoping, also, to help me lose some weight and quits smoking, and have more energy so I could exercise. I started on 100 mg of SR, then, when it pooped out, went up to 150 xl. It took about a week and I could feel a noticeable difference. Nothing fabulous, just slightly more funcional.

My pdoc is not thrilled to have me on Wellbutrin because he is afraid it will cause me to cycle. It hasn't so far, at least nothing noticeable. He mentioned Lithium and I said no way. That's all I need is to gain MORE weight.

My question is this: Has anyone else (BP2 w/ rapid cycling, GAD w/ PD, TRD(That's for VE!) tried wellbutrin w' success? Here is a list of my other meds: lamictal-300mg, klonopin-1.25 mg, seroquel-250mg, yasmin BC, Ultracet-Prn. mel1

I have read that of the antidepressants, Wellbutrin is the least likely to fuck up bipolar people. Still more likely than no antidepressant, but of the antidepressants, the best option. Not everyone has a good experience with it, though. (It got me diagnosed BPII, but I wasn't on any mood stabilizers at the time - just Effexor and Wellbutrin.)

Wellbutrin was the first AD my pdoc put me on after I was stabilized on Lamictal. It seemed to have done its job. I am BP1. Sure made smoking no fun. ;)

Sam

Okay, mostly positive reviews of well. That's cool. I just smoked a cig. and it left the worst taste in my mouth. Is that the well. makeing me not want to smoke? I made a sandwich today, and only ate half of it-decrease in appetite? Hope so. I have been kind of irritable, but my car's AC doesn't work and the AC in my house just stopped working(getting fixed tomorrow) so maybe that is why. I live in Florida, so, as you can see, it's HOT!!!! mel1

Okay, mostly positive reviews of well. That's cool. I just smoked a cig. and it left the worst taste in my mouth. Is that the well. makeing me not want to smoke? I made a sandwich today, and only ate half of it-decrease in appetite? Hope so. I have been kind of irritable, but my car's AC doesn't work and the AC in my house just stopped working(getting fixed tomorrow) so maybe that is why. I live in Florida, so, as you can see, it's HOT!!!! mel1

Didn't change the taste for me, just made it easier to stop. It did help me lose some weight (or something did while I was taking it).

Tommy

I almost died. It gave me seizures, tics, blurred vision, hallucinations, I would get up and have to run down the street just to get that horrible under the skin/have to move feeling out of my system, and lost an unbelievable amount of money most that wasn't even mine. I can't believe I'm still alive.

"Wellbutrin is the least likely drug to cause cycling and mania in people with bipolar" ala pdoc.

Yikes.

Everyone else seems pretty happy, though. ;)

Mel--

(I knew you were from Fla. when you mention getting "Baker-acted"--I have found that is pretty much a Florida based term!! LOL)

I am BPII, and very rapid cycling, and Wellbutrin is god to me--as long as its the brand name XR, NOT the generic. I tried the equivilent generic once and it made me totally loony, like I had taken 4 or5 XR's at once.

Initially, it did lower my Zoloft munchies--I take Zoloft at night--but that seems to have worn off. I also have not noticed that it has , as the ads say "fewer sexual side-effects". I am about as horney as a picnic table most of the time--I still grieve for my long=-lost libido, but my husband says its an even trade off, because its not too tempting to have sex with somebody who is ranting one minue, then crying, then irritable, then not speaking, on and on ad nauseum.

;) You know what? I miss good, ole fashioned speed. Not that nasty meth stuff, but the old stuff--made me really fun, and made sex even funner. I have never had an "abuse issue" with anything, so I'll live, but sometimes, in the late of night--I remember all those really fun times. Nobody got hurt, we just had fun.

Sigh--and then I went crazy and the whole world changed, and now I can always pass a piss test, which is a sad state of things in my life. Sigh again--

china, she of the old school where you used to only do drugs if you wanted to, not if you needed to

And BTW--Paul McCartney is 64 today, and I don't feel so good myself--no sign of Vera, Chuck , or Dave in my life--they better hurry.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm BP1 w/psychotic features and PTSD, with some adult ADD thrown in for fun. During my 4th hospitalization, they gave me Lamictal, Seroquel, Paxil, and WB. Paxil and WB are the least likely to cause issues with the bipolar crowd. Of course, there will be people who can't take them, but they seem better than the others for this.

I take 450WB XL because my pdoc wants to counter the possible side effects of Z. No use getting fat and getting diabetes! I get my weight, sugar, and waist measured monthly now. I hate the finger pricks.

Anyway, back to the real world, I think WB is a great invention and does cool stuff for me.

Loon

WB was added to my cocktail sometime earlier in the year (don't ask when - my shorterm memory is non-existent) when I was going through a suicidal patch. I've stayed on it and it doesn't seem to have any particular effect on my cycling (none that I can identify) - certainly nothing like the hell that was Effexor.

Oh, and as for the smoking... let's just say that I hung on through the bad taste and it went away. I do go through fewer cigarettes though, so I guess that is something.

I'm taking 150 of Wellbutrin SL-generic. I had a couple of sample packs of Well. XL-150 and it seems like it was working better. I have had a lot of irritability lately-could that be the Wellbutrin or the depression? It's hard to know. I'm wondering if I need a higher dose or something else. Dammit! I just don't know and my pdoc is on vacation for the month of July. mel

Oh yeah- it has not helped me quit smoking, although I think I'm smoking less. And I think or feel like I am still gaining weight even though I have mostly cut out white sugar and flour. I weighed myself after a week of my diet change. I was hoping to lose 1 lb. per week. I think that is a reasonable goal. But the scales said I gained 2 lbs.!! :) I did weigh myself on my 20 yr. old scales. The last time I was weighed was on a dr.'s scale. So I'm telling myself it is the scale's fault. mel ;)

WARNING! WARNING! Danger, Will Robinson!!

I had a HORRID experience with generic WB--see above. Please try going back on the Brand-I had to.

And I think your old scales are screw, too--

love, china

I tried wellbutrin about 2 mos ago. I rapid cycle into depression, and was desperate for something to get it to stop. It stopped it alright--I switched into mania after about 4 days.

I've been on Effexor for 2 weeks now, and it has been a miracle. I haven't felt this good in months. Everyone at work, and at home notices. I had a few hypomanic days at the beginning, along with unrelenting nausea, but that passed after about a week.

china, thank you for saying my scales are WRONG!!!! I went online and plugged my weight and height and age in and it said I was at a "normal, healthy weight-on the upper side, though. That doesn't help the fact that I keep growing out of my clothes. It gets to be rather expensive. At least I can somewhat afford to buy new clothes. I've got 3 different sizes in my closet, so , if by some miracle of God I actually lose weight, I have clothes at any weight!. I am so manic right now, that I feel like a drank a pot and a half of strong coffee. I called my pdocs sub and she should be calling me back soon I hope. I feel hoorooreowieuk ahsdfkjha a. I can't f'ing type

I'm taking 150 of Wellbutrin SL-generic. I had a couple of sample packs of Well. XL-150 and it seems like it was working better. I have had a lot of irritability lately-could that be the Wellbutrin or the depression? It's hard to know. I'm wondering if I need a higher dose or something else.

I'm taking 450 mg Wellbutrin Xl as well as 200mg Lamictal, 300 Topamax and 72mg Concerta. I have been on this combination for about a year and a half- and I think the Wellbutrin has really been a lifesaver for me. It has been a great AD in combination with the other things.

If you feel irritable it may be the Wellbutrin or the depression. But Wellbutrin is known for increasing anxiety and irritability as well as agression in some people. It sounds like the Wellbutrin is probably making you irritable.

I tried taking SR once and I couldn't handle it. I felt like it was too strong, or something. The XL doesn't feel like that and I am able to take it without feeling worked up. It really depends on the person. If you are still on the generic, the brand XL might make a difference for you.

Archived