CrazyBoards.org

Attention BP Wanna-bees

1. some days, you have to feel like you can do anything. i mean anything. and everyone. and nothing can stop you from achieving this. nothing can come between you and whatever you want. money does not exist, only what you want in a moment exists. you can live like this and not sleep, and be a wired bundle of energy that looks like some kind of balled lightening and can whack other people out.

2. THEN- the CRASH. you have to crash land at some point. you look at that eviction notice, realize that you are in bed with someone you do not know, become aware of all the booze bottles in your apartment, hear messages on your voice mail that say "like hi, are you alive? this is your mother!".

3. THEN- meds. you go to the pdoc. she insists that you are BP. you kinda admit it. she gives you ZYPREXA and LAMIC TAL. you take both. one makes you fat and the other gives you a rash.

but it is STILL THE STYLE DU JOIR to be BP.

so, enjoy!

other BPers, please add to our list of why everyone should want our disorder! with all of its different manifestations, i cannot possibly have described any but the most basic symptoms! lol

loonier by the second

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.I am particulary fond of my BP habit of terrorizing my husband, exhusband, and both of my children.

And some years ago (or recently when I took Prednisone) I had the cleanest house in town

I also love spending about $100 a month for drugs(and thats just my co=pay) Jesus, I could buy GOOD drugs with that money~!!

And finally, I dearly love crying for hours about nothing--or everything.

Have fun--

chins

i asked this in the other thread titled, "so why do people want to be BP" and i never got an answer. ... It seems like almost nobody answers or responds to anything i post/reply on this forum and im about ready to leave for good and go stick to the schiz and psychosis forum.

....do you all have something against me? Is it because i don't have BP.... like i don't "fit in" around here or something??

anyways...

Aside from those of us who stated we want to be BP (or some sort of MI) so that we'll have an explanation of what's wrong with us, or something like that...I have never actually seen anyone come around here and say that they want to be Bipolar because they think it's "cool" or "trendy" or whatever.

Are there really any people around here who don't actually have a MI and just think Bipolar disorder would make them cool? Because if there aren't, i don't understand why this issue keeps being adressed.

;)

Sometimes you get to stay in bed all day.

Other times you have a lot of energy and get stuff done. You get to talk to a really smart guy who says this isn't good so he gives you drugs (actually you buy them) where you don't get stuff done but you forget much of your life so maybe it goes a little faster. Or not.

If you take Trileptal you can feel a little drunk (not quite) at night for a couple hours.

You can take 2 years to try to get the government to pay you $600 a month for being bipolar (yippee) instead of having to work a good job that pays a lot more.

We need Madonna and John Travolta to get on this.

I kjust wish all the BP wanna-be's would pay my drug co=pays for just one month. THAT would change anybody's mind. Its fucking expensiver to be crazy and I for one am terribly tired of shelling out my hubby's hard -earned money just so I wont go completely bat-shit over the edge.

China--broke and getting broker--8 more weeks till I can think about working--we ain't gonna make it, kiddies ;)

I have never actually seen anyone come around here and say that they want to be Bipolar because they think it's "cool" or "trendy" or whatever.

Are there really any people around here who don't actually have a MI and just think Bipolar disorder would make them cool? Because if there aren't, i don't understand why this issue keeps being adressed.

I haven't seen it suggested here (but then again I haven't been around much lately), but I will admit that when a certain doc suggested I wasn't BP I got all defensive. I think that was because I just want a name for how/what I am as opposed to the voice in my head that says I just suck and there isn't a disease or cure for it. I feel like I am part of a "group" and since it is something that my innards want desperately, if someone tries to take it away then I may freak. Recently I was taken off ADs to try Lamictal mono-therapy (didn't work, I got depressed pretty bad and am recovering w/ the help of Effexor) and I took that (irrationally) that I was not as crazy as I thought. That led to me thinking that if I am not crazy, then I just suck as a person and there is no pill for that. People can debate that it is the depression talking, but innards keep saying "No, you just suck".

That was kind of rambling, but I did address your post I think. And it sucks that people won't address it. You are not invisible. And boo to the people who don't address you on purpose.

I kjust wish all the BP wanna-be's...
I think I take offense to the BP wanna-bes thing. Seems to be a bit of bashing, don't you think? I sometimes wish I was more physically manic as opposed to mind-racing mentally abusive manic, so that I could actually get something done. My depression is more prevalent, so I usually do nothing but sit on the couch in semi-paralysis. In reality I know that no one MI is "better" or worse than another, but there could be an argument for at least being able to get off the couch.

I am not meaning to flame or anything, but let's try to be a bit more understanding to other people's issues, shall we? Would you like me to start bashing your issues? I don't think so.

Heya wanna-BPers,

Heh.

Everyone's looking for trancendental experiences these days.

Mixed is just *such* a transcendental experience.

Just picture it: You hate yourself, and everyone else too. No energy in your muscles, but this pushy drive inside. Thinking too fast to talk, talking too fast to be understood. You can't sleep, don't really *want* to sleep, but somehow have it in your head that you *should* sleep, so you drink a *lot.* You smack your significant other. Then you clean the house. Meanwhile, you're crying and feeling guilty for everything that ever happened. To anyone. Then you have to drive somewhere b/c, goddammit, you're still working, lookit you. So you drive there, and you look at *every single oncoming car* with the urge to die in a fiery collision and take the rest of us with you.

But you still got a lot of work done. You think. But you're wrong.

The transcendental part comes when the mixed craps out and you get to see what you've been and done, and it just somehow *doesn't feel real.*

If you're ridiculously lucky, it isn't real.

And you just need to learn some coping skills.

If you're right, well, we have medication for that, so still lucky.

--ncc--

Guest Guest

I haven't seen it suggested here (but then again I haven't been around much lately), but I will admit that when a certain doc suggested I wasn't BP I got all defensive. I think that was because I just want a name for how/what I am as opposed to the voice in my head that says I just suck and there isn't a disease or cure for it. I feel like I am part of a "group" and since it is something that my innards want desperately, if someone tries to take it away then I may freak. Recently I was taken off ADs to try Lamictal mono-therapy (didn't work, I got depressed pretty bad and am recovering w/ the help of Effexor) and I took that (irrationally) that I was not as crazy as I thought. That led to me thinking that if I am not crazy, then I just suck as a person and there is no pill for that. People can debate that it is the depression talking, but innards keep saying "No, you just suck".

And I completly understand all that. I recently went to another psychiatrist to get a FOURTH opinion on my dx (my dad wanted it) and she tried to diagnose me with "soft" bipolar disorder, even though i have no symptoms/signs of being even mildly bipolar. My other dx's have been back and fourth between schizophrenia and depression, or schizoaffective disorder. I got annoyed that she tried to change my diagnosis with insufficient criteria. I've gotten use to and have accepted the "schizo" label and i feel like it fits the best when it comes to my symptoms. Plus, it just annoys the hell out of me when a pdoc tells me she's been practicing for 30 years, and doesn't seem to know what the fuck she's talking about. ...later on, she discussed it with my other psychiatrist and agreed that her bipolar diagnosis was wrong.

That was kind of rambling, but I did address your post I think. And it sucks that people won't address it. You are not invisible. And boo to the people who don't address you on purpose.

I kjust wish all the BP wanna-be's...
I think I take offense to the BP wanna-bes thing. Seems to be a bit of bashing, don't you think? I sometimes wish I was more physically manic as opposed to mind-racing mentally abusive manic, so that I could actually get something done. My depression is more prevalent, so I usually do nothing but sit on the couch in semi-paralysis. In reality I know that no one MI is "better" or worse than another, but there could be an argument for at least being able to get off the couch.

I too take offense to the whole "wanna-be's" thing. Mostly because i've never seen anyone around here saying they want to have an MI just to look "cool" ...So it feels as if they are directing it towards those of us who want to have such a diagnosis for a much more complex reason that maybe they can't understand themselves.

And Im sure there are some immature juveniles out there going around saying they are "crazy" "bipolar" "Schizo", just to gain attention. And as stupid and annoying and immature as it may be, some of that is just part of being young.

I am not meaning to flame or anything, but let's try to be a bit more understanding to other people's issues, shall we? Would you like me to start bashing your issues? I don't think so.

I second this. I don't mean to boil anyones' blood, but I'll repeat what Supergwen has said: let us try to be a bit more understanding of other peoples' issues!

I don't know what the hell disorder I have, but I seem to be in a constant mixed state...making grand landscaping plans one minute, craying my eyes out the next as I try not to SI, then the anger, Dear God! I have a hurricane inside me!....suddenly depressed with such ennui that I can barely raise a finger.

If this is some form of BP, I want off the damned A list!

The coolest thing about being BP (if you're me) is being dragged off to the hospital by he police in an ambulance. In front of everyone. I committed no crime, I got committed! Yep.

Real cool. Gives you tons of street cred.

I have actually noticed a trend in some circles with people labeling themselves (meaning they are not under a doctor's care) as bi polar. I've *met* people (plural - more than one) who think it is "cool" to have BP. Really. They need a reality check because they so don't know what it's really like, but they're out there.

I've also noticed that there are *a lot* more people in the world that are being diagnosed as having bi polar. I notice these things. It was ADD the last decade. This decade, it's bi-polar. Maybe more people are bi-polar, maybe they're not. I'm not a pdoc.

The problem with any MI is that there is no blood test, no CAT scan, no X-ray, nothing to determine what one has, if anything. The pdocs can only list the symptoms they observe, or what their patients *tell* them - and let's face it, few patients are completely honest - and they make their diagnosis from those observations. It is far from an exact science.

I was diagnosed with bi polar over 20 years ago (was manic depression when I was diagnosed). No one has labeled me with anything else. I so don't think it's cool or trendy, and very few people even know that I have it. They just think I'm nutty. ;)

Still, I can see where one would wish they could be stuck with a label - any label - just so they can figure out what the heck is wrong with them.

I've also noticed that there are *a lot* more people in the world that are being diagnosed as having bi polar. I notice these things. It was ADD the last decade. This decade, it's bi-polar. Maybe more people are bi-polar, maybe they're not. I'm not a pdoc.

From what I can tell, the bipolar II diagnosis in the DSM did not exist prior to DSM-IV in 1994, before which they would have usually have been included in the Major Depressive Disorder category. Now people with hypomania get bipolar II (or NOS) diagnoses. As far as I can remember, bpII makes up 2-3% of the population while bpI makes up 1% - so there are around four times as many people with bipolar diagnoses now. If we counted only bpI people as bipolar, we wouldn't have nearly as big an increase, if we had an increase at all. It strikes me as unlikely but possible that there's also been an increase in the actual prevalence.

It is a trendy diagnosis. Maybe it's a trendy diagnosis partly because people are getting misdiagnosed as bp when they're actually something else (ADD, borderline, ?). Maybe it's a trendy diagnosis partly because a lot of people who wouldn't have known to go for help are being reached through better public awareness. Or both, or something else. I wish someone would do the research so that we'd have the data to know. (I've heard there's some of this for ADD but I keep forgetting to ask for the reference.)

Guest espressogrrl

It is a trendy diagnosis. Maybe it's a trendy diagnosis partly because people are getting misdiagnosed as bp when they're actually something else (ADD, borderline, ?).

I think i may be one of them. who knows...i am going through the bp screening now, and I don't really think I am. I think I am super ADD/OCD girl who gets frustrated because of what those things do to my life. It is a lot easier to just call me BP and give me meds that comotose me. But for me, they dont even out my moods, they just render me inable to express the moods, and I remain as anxious, frustrated, and scattered and it just builds and builds until I zone away for days. grr.

all i know is, whether or not it is bp or four other things mixed together, I've lived with family members that were this all their lives. whether its bp, or add, or borderline, or ocd, or all of the above, it's not fun.

I particularly love it when perfectly normal A**H***s decide to use BP as and excuse for being A**H***s. Do you know how many people I have dated said - hey, I'm bipolar. That's why i cheated/used you/desperately need you back? I lived with the up and down and with all the work that my family has done to keep their MI's in check, it annoys me when other people use it as an excuse for being jerks. If they were really BP, they wouldnt be A**H***s all the time. They would be super cool a lot more often!

If you are BP, great, congrats on taking interest in your own health and learn from the other BP's . If you aren't BP, dont call yourself BP and create an unwarranted, inaccurate stereotype of BP that my darling, loving BP friends have to then live with.

grrr.

Count me in on the I'm-gonna-get-flamed-somewhat-glad-I'm-BP camp...

There are only 2 things that keep me alive in the blackest depression...

-- My Aspie hyperrationality. "Huh? The glass isn't half empty... it's just half a goddamn glass for Pete's sake!"

-- And now, the BP, and the prospect of hypomania. I guess I'm better off than most of y'all since my hypomanias are, for the majority, euphoric. I know that while in the worst depressions, that they'll eventually pick up (if not too much ;) ).

Stasis--

Depressive state

otherwise known

as Georgia

Archived