CrazyBoards.org

Pregnant and Partying

Hi,

I just found out this weekend that I am pregnant. ;) This is a problem for me on many levels, and to be perfectly honest I have not yet decided how I am going to handle it.

One huge concern that I have is that before I realized that I was pregnant, I was visiting old friends, and was out several nights in a row drinking lots of alcohol in various forms. One night I stayed over with an old friend who needed to talk, which we did over several bottles of wine.

Of course I've stopped now, but I worry about the impact on the embryo. I don't know for sure, but I think that I conceived about three weeks ago.

Is this embryo at high risk to have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome? I'm thinking that other women have done what I've done and had healthy kids, but of course, I'm concerned. I'm on so many meds, too, I just think that the poor thing is doomed already.

I'm actually among those of you who had opted-out from being a mom due to my MI. I was raised by an MI mom, and my whole life has been difficult, to say the least. I'm forty-two now, and I had decided just a few weeks ago to have my tubes tied, but of course, I hadn't gotten around to it (ADD Fool that I am).

Anyway, even though it may be a moot point, I'm obssessing about this alcohol thing, so any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Abby

Honey,

You need to call your doctor. Right now. You're asking questions that shouldn't be answered here. Regardless of what your decision about this pregnancy might be (and I for one will be supportive of any choice you make), until you have firmly made that decision, you need to live as if you are going to have this baby.

For the record, I did some particularly stooopid recreational partying before knowing I was preggers. I was worried as well. But everything was fine and I had a healthy baby boy who's leaving for college this summer.

Call your doc. Please.

Greeny

I agree with Greeny. Call the doc. I was snorting coke the first couple of weeks of pregnany (I stopped the second I found out), and my 19yo daughter is healthy and brilliant. I would worry more about the prescription meds.

Call, call, call. And best wishes in your decision.

Thanks, guys

I've made an appointment to see a doctor tomorrow.

It's unnerving, because even as I'm becoming more and more certain that I am going to have to exercise my right to choose here, I have this very strange and overwhelming desire to take good care of this 'entity' until I can get in to the clinic. It is extremely confusing and truly horrible. I can't really describe it.

Thank you for your supportive words. I knew that I would find empathetic hearts here. It's a huge help.

-- Abby

Abby, Just to let you know, a whole lot of women go out and party before they find out they are pregnant and the kids end up just fine. Hell, that's how half of em end up pregnant,lol. Seriously, I wouldn't worry. I think the fetal alcohol syndrom is something that is more of a issue when a pregnancy is further along.

The strange and overwhelming desire to take care of the "entity" is completely understandable. No matter what decision you make. Best wishes. We are all here for you.

Croix

Just wanted to add in here,

abby you are doing the right thing by treating your body like a temple while you make this decision.

You can not change what happened in the past 3 weeks but you have changed your behaviour now thats a great thing. and im sure if you decided to keep this baby it will be fine.

But please everyone out there who reads this post do not underestimate the impact of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome i work in special education teaching kids with Autism, Intellectual Impairment, Down syndrome etc. and studies show up to 75% of these childrens disabilities are the results of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and drug use while pregnant.

So no one can be blamed for what they did prior to knowing they where pregnant but anyone who thinks its cool to take party drugs while pregnant should come and spend a day in my classroom with these wonderful kids it would break your heart!

Sorry to put a downer on things, i really think you have made a wonderful decision and i admire your strength in a time like this.

best wishes for you...

I too, got drunk before I knew I was preggers. Just one night, but I was worried nonetheless. My doctor said don't worry about it. The first few weeks of pregnacy the embryo is just a mass of undifferentiated cells. It doesn't matter if some of the cells are damaged or even destroyed at that point. After the cells have become specialized, it's a different story and FAS would be something to worry about.

Like Greeny and Rabbit, I now have a brilliant, healthy college student. Some years later I decided to end a pregnancy, also at just a few weeks, because I didn't want any more children. I made the right decision both times and never looked back. Do what you feel is best for you. It will be fine, whatever choice you make.

Heya Abby,

You'll make the right choices for you.

I'm not going to lie to you, there's no safe amount of alcohol we know of in pregnancy.

But.

Any embryo's development is quite individual, so.

Don't beat yourself up over the past. Just take care of yourself and the entity from now.

If you go ahead with the pregnancy, just be well.

;)

--ncc--

Heya herpie,

OT, but yes, a severe enough insult can trigger early pregnancy loss.

Brain development happens throughout pregnancy, but much more in the later stages.

On-topic, that's why things (like alcohol) that affect brain development are much more important later in pregnancy.

--ncc--

But what about implantation timing and all that crap? I did acid when I was pregnant in my 3rd week. I obsessed about it for the whole pregnancy, told my OB, she did extra ultrasounds, etc., and later I find out I had done these drugs before the little fucker had even implanted. Not to say it's NOT a caution, however, I think once the are attached what we ingest is of much greater significance and that we get waaaay too wacked out about what we did in the first few weeks of a pregnancy. Nature knows we're stupid.

BTW, the aforementioned child is about to turn 18 and he has this little inexplicable kink in his hair, almost as if each hair were crimped by a "barbie" crimping iron. Every stylist that's ever cut his hair says, "I have never in all my life seen hair like that." When it's long, it's fro' like. So, I attribute that to a possible LSD related glitch. Other than that, his IQ is superior and his video game and smart mouthing skills--par exellance... ;)

Abby, good luck. You already have a little posse, don't you? Or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. Two is plenty for me!

Hugs,

S9

Hey All,

I just want to thank everyone for their unconditional support. A huge help -- I can't even tell you. . .

When my anxiety started to get the better of me, I knew that I could run to CrazyBoards.

Herpie, I guess that all damaged fetuses don't end in miscarriage, or else we wouldn't have birth defects like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, yes? On the other hand, I was told by the doctor that a woman my age and in my condition (42, a little overweight, and high anxiety), stood a 50% chance of miscarrying even without the boozing.

After considering everything (from my meds to my own mother's Post-Partum Depression, etc...etc.....etc....) I ended the pregnancy. Now that it is done, I know that it was the right thing. I am going to have my tubes tied in a few weeks. My big regret, of course, was getting pregnant in the first place, but I know that this is not an uncommon occurence in a woman's life. I am just very grateful that I still have the right to choose. . .

Saturine, I don't have a posse, but I do have a grown step-son whom I adore. He has a a great set of genes, and a huge heart, and he says he has every intention to presenting me with grandchildren in the not too distant future (his choice, of course). Some days, when I am clear, I realize that I do have alot to be thankful for.

I love you guys,

-- Abby

Hey All,

I just want to thank everyone for their unconditional support. A huge help -- I can't even tell you. . .

;) Take care while you heal. Been down that road myself as have many of us if you have questions later...

Herpie, I guess that all damaged fetuses don't end in miscarriage, or else we wouldn't have birth defects like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, yes?

I meant only severe and early damage, before cells really start to differentiate into particular organs (and, say, heart which is formed out of them isn't really functional because of the degree of damage). Otherwise, no pathological family would have children...

Guest Guest

Herpie, I guess that all damaged fetuses don't end in miscarriage, or else we wouldn't have birth defects like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, yes?

I meant only severe and early damage, before cells really start to differentiate into particular organs (and, say, heart which is formed out of them isn't really functional because of the degree of damage). Otherwise, no pathological family would have children...

Okay, yes, I see what you meant. I really don't know very much about it, to tell you the truth. I do know it's true that miscarriages are a fairly common occurence, and do usually serve to end the pregnancy when there is a problem with fetal development.

-- Abby

Archived