CrazyBoards.org

what the hell [MAO-I washout]

I went to my doctors appointment last week and after going through the usual questions he tells me this " We need to get you off all of your meds for at least five weeks then we are going to try MAOI's" The guy then tells me I will have to be in the hospital during this entire time of getting off of the drugs. I said I am not ready to spend another two months in the hospital and maybe my mind will change in a few months. So he puts my lithium and sleeping pills where I have to go pick them every week as he is worried I will overdose. Stupid doctor if I had the motivation I would go find another

take care

trg247

title edited for descriptiveness

Your pdoc probably is just afraid of a lawsuit or something. my dad killed himself while on psych meds- WITH his meds- so you never can be too careful. maybe the transition has the possibility of making you psycho or something. i'd go with getting more opinions. that's MY expert opinion!

coming off efexor definitely needs plenty of support... especially suddenly....I've heard Remeron can be similar.

My GP once only gave me 3 sleeping pills, because she was concerned I might overdose.

Like Loon says, it sounds like your dr's trying to keep you safe. Saying that, there might be other ways round it, like staying with a friend?

Your pdoc probably is just afraid of a lawsuit or something. my dad killed himself while on psych meds- WITH his meds- so you never can be too careful. maybe the transition has the possibility of making you psycho or something. i'd go with getting more opinions. that's MY expert opinion!

Usually a doctor would think twice or thrice before prescribing an MAOI or a TCA to someone who may

be actively suicidal. It's like handing a box of matches to a 5-y.o. and letting him play under the bed.

With Effexor, Zyprexa, Remeron, Trazodone, and Wellbutrin already being prescribed, I can see that

an MAOI might cover most of the same bases. I can't disagree that they all would have to be

discontinued to start the MAOI and then carefully bring back in coverage for whatever is missed

(probably the AAP). Once the Zyprexa starts washing out and the Effexor discontinuation hits - ouch. ;)

MAOI + any other antidepressant (even a couple of days after discontinuation) means huge trouble. Including death. I would take your doctor's advice seriously.

Effexor (or its metabolites)+MAOI may be deadly.

I totally agree with your doctor. Coming of all Meds is A MUST to go on a Maoi..Been there...Done that.. It

was hell. I on the other hand was fortunate enough to be on only ONE antidepressant SSRI type. I glanced

at your list, and that is the best place for you in this transition> I was at home, depending solely on Benz's

for my survival.. It was an agonizing time, then after one week, My Mom dies... I begged for pills and

because I had been on a 2 month reduction schedule, there was little likely hood that any of the prior SSRI

was in my system. Within a few days I felt good.You may be like me, hard to treat, unresponsive to most

meds, and a Prime candidate for Maoi. I hope you get well on them ..I was on parnate.. Besides any good

competent doctor should know that coming off tons of meds and not being supervised is really dangerous and not looking out for his patient's best interest..

Parnate is by the way a happy med for Melancholic depression.. I got real happy.. ;)

Frosty...

Archived