CrazyBoards.org

Hiya-

When I'm out, I can't resist having a few, or more than a few. it has never impacted my life, except a few days when my hangover was too bad to go to work. i guess that counts as having an alcohol problem

i need to quit drinking altogether. even the wine with dinner needs to go. i just can't say no if i have even one.

Binge drinking is bad. It's also the only kind I've ever done. I don't even like alcohol. I do, however, love being drunk, to a point. It is largely for these reasons that I have sworn off drinking completely.

If any and all alcohol consumption leads to binge drinking, then yes, it has to go. If you think there's a better chance of learning moderation, though, that would be the balanced option. What's realistic? The point is to be healthy and behave responsibly. Total abstinence from alcohol and moderation both accomplish this goal. Good luck, with whatever you choose.

Good insights LMNOP and Frosty

I'll just have to be the designated driver when we go out, so I can't drink and am not tempted to binge, and then I'll keep my wine with dinner habit. (which I've give up largely due to my meds ) ;)

Binge drinking caught up with me probably a year or so ago. I could feel the effect to my mood, the next day I would be really depressed. Also, for some reason, last summer when I drank I would get really manic and not be able to sleep. Just stay up all night and rant to someone about how I suck and want to die. 1 glass of wine now and then is OK - although I had 2 the other night and felt like crap the next day. I am also concerned because I tend to snowball with these things, all attempts to be a moderate user blow up in my face.

Now that I have essentially stopped drinking, social events are harder. I've realized that I have anxiety in social situations and have had to stop hanging out with my hard-drinking buddies. I am healthier for it, if lonelier. A large part of most socialization has to do with drinking, and not being a part of that sucks. Being the DD is no fun for me, I end up looking at the drunk people who are acting dumb and I don't have a good time. I used to be a lot of fun. Irrational, unstable, obnoixous, vomitous, and promiscuous, but fun.

Pardon me while I use this thread to talk about myself. But maybe insight can be gained by experience?

I binge drink (ie a flask of rum/vodka, maybe with some shooters), but rather infrequently. Perhaps once every 2-3 months. I find it difficult to want to stop once I'm drunk, but I can control myself. Even though I get a little loose, I am actually more responsible while drunk than half my friends are sober.

I don't see anything wrong with it, as I've never had a bad experience. No embarassing acts, or things to regret. I don't have hangovers, yet, so perhaps once that happens I will sing a new tune.

• 2 weeks later...

i think it's interesting that recently the number of glasses of wine one can drink per day and still get the health benefits was raised from one glass to four glasses per day. keep in mind that there are only about five glasses in a bottle, and five drinks in one sitting qualifies as binge drinking. hhhmmmm....

reid

Archived