CrazyBoards.org

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to this, so excuse me if this is a stupid question, but here goes:

9 months ago I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorders. I have been able to take care of the anxiety with my good friend xanax. But now i have found myself going between being "blue" and angry. I always thought depression was associated with being "blue". But now that i have been dealing with some personal issues (sucky job) i find that my anger is more prevelant.

For example, I was in a meeting today, and one of my coworkers was talking (as she always does) and taking her own sweet time making the meeting drag on and on and on.... In the past I think that I would have been angry, but not shown it. Today, I felt like i was going out of my skin. I was so damn angry that she was wasting our time with simple quibbles. In the past i would have taken it, but today i slammed my books closed and walked out of the meeting, right in the middle of her speaking.

Does this anger sound common with Depression?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi Manyy, welcome!

Depression can be angry as well. And its possible to laugh or have a pleasurable day while depressed too.

Are you doing any therapy? Having been MI for some time, in addition to being diagnosed are stressful and frustrating things. Talking with a professional can help work through issues and help you learn better coping.

a.m.

For general info Pexeva is also known as Paxil.

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to this, so excuse me if this is a stupid question, but here goes:

9 months ago I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorders. I have been able to take care of the anxiety with my good friend xanax. But now i have found myself going between being "blue" and angry. I always thought depression was associated with being "blue". But now that i have been dealing with some personal issues (sucky job) i find that my anger is more prevelant.

For example, I was in a meeting today, and one of my coworkers was talking (as she always does) and taking her own sweet time making the meeting drag on and on and on.... In the past I think that I would have been angry, but not shown it. Today, I felt like i was going out of my skin. I was so damn angry that she was wasting our time with simple quibbles. In the past i would have taken it, but today i slammed my books closed and walked out of the meeting, right in the middle of her speaking.

You sound like a carbon copy of myself, I started as a depressed person but as time went by My moods started to go between sad, anxious and very angry..

That is what my Doc calls a mood disorder.. I am still moody but working on it with new meds. Not much help but every state of mind has its own accompanying mood...

Frosty

-Thanks everyone. I never knew that Depression can bring on anger as bad as this. It is like I am not myself sometimes.

Hello everyone,

You sound like a carbon copy of myself, I started as a depressed person but as time went by My moods started to go between sad, anxious and very angry..

That is what my Doc calls a mood disorder.. I am still moody but working on it with new meds. Not much help but every state of mind has its own accompanying mood...

Frosty

my depression/ stress/ ocd has pretty much been tested in the fires, and come out as smoldering rage. maybe its an adaptive mechanism, maybe its just what happens in teh brain as neurons short out i don't know. for me my librium and tramadol help a little, and i'm trying to start some self-talk to just realize its not worth it letting myself feel the full extent of my anger, but its definitely a challenge. the relationship between depression and anger would be interesting to explore further. on a very basic level i'm sure they share a deficit in serotonin but beyond that it would be hard to say why one experiences one state or the other at any given time.

okay i had nothing to say really, just interested in joining in on the discussion.

Hi Manny,

I started seeing a pdoc because of my anger and she diagnosed me first with anxiety, then with depression. I resisted these dx's but she must have been right because the meds have made a world of difference.

you don't find your wellbutrin makes you angrier punksailor? i don't have any experience on it, but that is my worry about trying wellbutrin, that it would make me even MORE irritable than i currently am

No, quite the opposite. The first few days I was on it (it's really fast acting) I was too silly-happy for my own good. Like a cartoon cheerleader, I was all talk-talk-talk-happy-giggle-talk. That silliness settled down during the 2nd week. It did take about 5 or 6 weeks to get to where I'm at now, which is pretty stable and a little goofy, but I think that's just who I am when I'm not raging pissed and depressed. It is a little speedy, but it's more like a caffeine speedy than an amphetamine speedy. My pdoc did mention that one of the possible SE's is increased irritability but she couldn't talk me into an SSRI (my sister had a terrible reaction to Prozak so I just don't wanna touch an SSRI) so she asked me to try wellbutrin. I love it ;)

"Quick to anger" can be a sign of stress, which is closely related to anxiety.

Yes, the xanax works for the panic attacks, but you haven't "solved" your anxiety. You have a bandaid that works for it. You need to work other things into your life too.

I'd say that the anger is related to both the dression and the anxiety, and would look into, if you aren't already, seeing a t-doc.

Breeze

I struggled with uncontrollable anger pre-Lamictal. I would just "snap", much like you did during the meeting, and my actions were quite literally beyond my control. Some people understood it was because I'm MI, and some people lashed back or got tired of it very quickly and distanced themselves. I can still get pretty irritable at times, argumentative, but it's nothing like it was before.

I was dxed with Major Depressive Disorder + anxiety disorders (many flavors) before the possiblity of bipolar came up. I simply could not exercise any restraint on that intense emotion before Lamictal, and it's gotten easier with each titration. That says to me that neurochemical imbalances are more responsible for the anger than anything else. In my case, anyway.

I also struggle with anger as part of my anxiety-depression-PTSD-dissociation mix....although it was some time before I actually could accept the anger.....and the anger actually has some healthiness to it....has been buried for years...and when it started to come out (which it is still doing...) it was pretty explosive...am learning to make friends with it now....

do you know what your anger is about, deep down, Manny?

I also struggle with anger as part of my anxiety-depression-PTSD-dissociation mix....although it was some time before I actually could accept the anger.....and the anger actually has some healthiness to it....has been buried for years...and when it started to come out (which it is still doing...) it was pretty explosive...am learning to make friends with it now....

do you know what your anger is about, deep down, Manny?

-I wish I could figure that out completely, but i have not yet. Been to therapy and all, but not sure what has brought out all my anger. I think that it has to do with my job, and I am working on a career change to search this out...

I have problems with the theory that depression is anger turned on oneself. I cannot recall (that of course doesn't mean it never happened) being angry, yet I am both depressed and anxious. My depression feels like extreme sadness and my anxiety usually just feels like something really, really bad is about to happen, or I just can't sit still. Neither of those seems to fit well with the anger hypothesis.

Tommy

I have problems with the theory that depression is anger turned on oneself. I cannot recall (that of course doesn't mean it never happened) being angry, yet I am both depressed and anxious. My depression feels like extreme sadness and my anxiety usually just feels like something really, really bad is about to happen, or I just can't sit still. Neither of those seems to fit well with the anger hypothesis.

Tommy

-I don't know either, but I do know some others that would lash out at others when dealing with bouts of depression.

i don't know if the depression i experience is 'caused' by anger. i DO suffer from a depressive illness, and i DO have white hot anger sometimes. it's the kind of anger where there is no thought, there is only do. where 'do' means 'hurt'. i instill inanimate objects with antagonistic attitudes and destroy them. not literally, buti 'hurt' them.

gah, i'm rambling.

it sucks though. cos it's like discovering your vehicle runs on rage. and your tank is impossibly huge.

grouse.

Archived