CrazyBoards.org

Well it kind of depends on what you want to do and where you live. I've been known to walk into a store and just ask for an application or if they're hiring. The newspaper usually sucks. Friends are good. Unemployment office/online site is a toss up. Craigslist I've had some success with. I think mostly I've just walked into places(or called) and asked if they were hiring. If they were I'd fill out an application. It was always hard getting the interview. If I could get the interview I could get any job. Oh yeah and temp services rocked for me. Not only did they place you but they trained you on your days off. Things like Monster are scary because you never know whose getting your info.

Hope that helps a little

lilie

I have been pretty lucky. I have always been asked to work or someone knew of a place that needed someone and recommended me.

So Knock on computer screen!

I having been working for the company that I am with for a long time.

We do hire a lot of temps. some are duds and some are great!!! and we end up keeping them.

Monster.Com is another place we get a lot of employees from, but like I said some are great and some just plain suck.

Good luck on the Job Hunting.

I have found temp. agencies to be pretty good resources. They benefit from placing you in a job so I find they are pretty responsive...I've had more interviews through agencies than through applying to jobs directly out of the paper, websites etc. I also find that if there is an opportunity to apply in person versus other methods, I have a lot more success if I go in person.

And I've never tried Craigslist but that's a good suggestion...my city just recently got a Craigslist so I think I'm going to check it out ;)

I'm an RN. For all of my jobs since I got my license, I just went to the hospital I wanted to work at and talked to the nurse recruiter. I was working within days. Until three years ago, I was an open heart ICU nurse--a position that is difficult to fill.

For my current job, I was just coming off 6 months of not working after a major meltdown. I saw an ad in the paper. I had decided to change avenues, not wanting the stress of ICU. I was looking to getting into long-term care and ended up interviewing a couple of times, because all my experience was hospital based.

I've been there ever since, and after about 9 mos on the floor, was offered a job as risk manager. It's been the best job I've ever had, with a wonderful boss who knows I'm BP and allows me liberal time off when I need it.

Do you just walk in and apply to say, the grocery store, or can I walk into a business (I'm in IT) and ask about that? I feel ready to walk down the main drag by my house and start asking away . It can't hurt.

Do you just walk in and apply to say, the grocery store, or can I walk into a business (I'm in IT) and ask about that? I feel ready to walk down the main drag by my house and start asking away . It can't hurt.

i think that's a great idea loon. you hit it right on the head. it CAN'T hurt. at my work we get people coming in from time to time looking to drop off a cv (resume) and fill out an application form. i did the same thing, which eventually led to me getting hired.

what can help is a cover letter. it can help hugely. it can be difficult to do a general cover letter, so maybe you could write a couple of them to cover different but general job profiles.

grouse.

Archived