CrazyBoards.org

Is it possible for a woman to still get pregnant if she has unprotected sex at the start of her period?

Blackbird x

At the start of her period, her body is getting rid of the lining of the uterus that she didn't need because her egg wasn't fertilized earlier before her period started. Does that make any sense? There would be nothing for the fertilized egg to hold on to if all the lining is gone....

Sam

I have never posted before, but I just had to chime in on this one........You CAN get pregnant during your period. Just because your body is getting rid of the uterine lining, doesn't mean there isn't an egg waiting to be fertilized(and will just wait for the next lining to form). And sperm can live for up to 5 days.

Homesick

It is apparently possible.. looking at another aspect, Some women have something similar to a lite period

during ovulation So if you are not using contraceptives... and get mixed up during your cycle or something

like STRESS OR MEDS affect your regular cycle... Who knows.. I used the Rhythm method for years and

did not get pregnant.. however my relationship a the time reduced relations to about 6

times a year..

Frosty

The short answer YES. A woman can possibly get pregnant at any given time of the month. Not every cycle is the same, no one necessarily ovulates the same, or menstrates the same.

Croix

Actually, many women who believe they get pregnant while "on their periods" are actually conceiving during breakthrough bleeding that is not a true menstrual period, or even ovulatory spotting that they mistake for a light period.

Also as has been mentioned, even during a true menstrual period, the blood flow could mask potentially fertile cervical mucus even for those who chart their cycles (natural family planning, fertility awareness method, for example) and sperm can survive for quite a while in the right conditions.

And welcome Homesick ;)

Archived