CrazyBoards.org

I used to be excited about taking baths etc, but now its like a chore. I just get in splish splash and wanna hurry and get out. Somedays I skip it altogehter because I dont do much these days. Perhaps its because I have to figure out an outfit and possibly iron something, its so out of the way and boring ;)

I've never measured my longest without, but have gone more than a few days in the winter. Baby wipes keep me from grossing myself out when I'm not up for the effort required to shower.

Cleanliness is a good indicator of my state of mind, and thank god I've been getting back into it. When I feel my worst I just go back to bed and put it off again.

That feeling of bathing being too much of a bother is one of the big signs of depression or its relapse. It's one of those things that tells me I need to get myself to the doc and watch my moods carefully. Handiwipes just don't do the trick when the temp is over 110.

Greeny

"That feeling of bathing being too much of a bother is one of the big signs of depression"

Often family memebers will not know someone is depressed until their loved one stops bathing. Happened to my girlfriend's dad. Between depression, alcoholism and emphazema, he did not make it to his 54th birthday.

Hello!!

If it helps, I only bathe once a week :embarassed: I try to wash some areas more than that though and no-one ever tells me I smell, so I figure what the hey. I also don't get physically really close to people, ever. My longest without a bath was about five months :embarassed:

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you feel this way, Sensation. I think I agree with mad_genius, could you make it an event? I know it must seem hard to bother with it, but if you made it an event that made you feel better, maybe that would help to inspire you? It could be a time where you just shut the door and try to relax alone.

Take care!!

hey when i was really in a bad way i hated showering and going to the toilet as well. i would wait until i was absolutley bursting before i would run for the toilet, and i would quite happily of not showered if it wasnt for myboyfriend nagging me to get in the shower. At first he used to stand and watch me shower (not in a romantic way) to make sure that when i did actually get in i bothered to get the soap and wash, and do my hair with shampoo at least a few times a week.

now he trusts me enough to just smell my body and hair after the showerto make sure he can smell shampoo and soap.

It really is a sad state to be in! but at the time it was just such an effort. right now i am showering everyday but i still have trouble remebering to use soap and shampoo and not just standing there daydreaming for 5mins and then getting out!

thank you lord for spray deodarant! no effort needed

I can totally understand not feeling like bathing. I am like that at the moment. I go and just stand under the water for a bit, then get out. I also can't be bothered doing my hair properly, or changing my clothes as often as I should. Actually, I've spent the last five hours or so sitting in tracksuit pants and a jumper watching bad TV because I haven't the effort to do anything right now. I am impressed that I've written this much...

My maximum is usually three days because I get really smelly and me getting smelly just makes me want to cry even more so under duress and wailing like a banshee by the third day I'll force myself in. Then I'm all proud of myself that I've actually done it.

Nothing like a good depression...

lilie

Hiya-

I'm BP1, so I tend towards the manic side of things. My depressions are more mixed/dysphoric than yours mostly probably are.

Anyway, with that being said, I shower twice a day. I don't take a full shower though, I just use the morning to wash my hair and body, and night to shave and wash my body. Showering, or taking a bath, is a trigger in my mind that it is either time to wake up or go to sleep. I literally CANNOT go to sleep without taking a shower/bath.

I have a weird habit of forgetting to wear deo on JOB INTERVIEWS!!! I've done this twice! Lucky for me, I know I'm retarded and have a little travel size deo in my car, otherwise I'd be SOL.

Loon splash, splash!

When depressed, I'll go two or three days without bathing. But I also don't leave the house. Or my room for that matter. I may not even get out of bed. I think you get the idea. I am usually in a really bad place when I don't bathe. I know that I smell and I hate it. Just part of the depressive crapola cycle.

Jade

I'm horrible about hygiene. even when I was going to PE class two or three times a week (block scheduling, four classes every day and eight classes total) I would still only shower maybe two times a week. my parents get on me about it a lot, which is probably the only reason I bother.

I try to reward myself for bathing. like saying to myself, "if you take a shower, you can have a bag of popcorn and watch TV." I'm very mean to myself, little rules like only one bag of popcorn a day, only a little TV a day, have a conversation on the phone every day, so I let the rules go a little as a reward to myself. (although there are holes. if I'm really depressed, I don't bathe or follow my rules, so it goes out the window. and times like now when food really doesn't do anything for me. eh.)

that last paragraph makes me sound really crazy, but that's okay, it's true. rewarding myself is the only way I get anything done ever. good luck.

Maybe I don't understand this, since it hasn't happened to me, even when I've been depressed. For me a shower or bath is a sensual treat. Maybe it would make it more fun if you found shampoo or soap that smelled and/or felt really good to you. (I get itchy and smelly if I go very long, particularly if physically active.) For those of you who have s.o.'s, the shower or bath is a really fun place to mess around. (Just be careful not to thrash too hard when you're still standing up. It's slippery in there.) Your s.o. might enjoy soaping you up even if you stand there not doing so very much, although they may want you to soap them. If the weather is hot, a shower gives you a few minutes of feeling cool. If you have cheap reading material, it's pleasant to lie in the tub and read, though there is of course the danger of dropping it in the water. I used to have an apartment with an enormous bathtub, and I wanted to have a date in there, soaking and eating dim sum. But I had to move out before I found a girlfriend, and the tub here is lousy.

If you would rather just wash off with a cloth, you can use the kitchen sink to wash your hair in.

It's VERY important to brush teeth. Saves needing more work. If the electric toothbrushes seem easier, use them. (My dentist says they work better.) Again, find toothpaste that tastes good. If the insurance won't cover anaesthesia, will they cover a sedative? I can also attest that nitrous really works, so that the dental work is no big deal. Just a minor hangover afterwards. If you find that dental work leaves you feeling sweaty and nervous, know that some preparations of novacain include epinephrine to make it last longer. There are alternatives, and I've had some other med that works much longer and doesn't crank me up like that. If that's all that's keeping you out of the office, shop around. Meanwhile, if you can't bother to brush, can you at least chew sugarless gum? For those of us on medications that dry our mouths, sugarless gum and Biotene mouthwash should help to reduce the dental damage from your mouth being too dry. Ive been getting pretty good about all this stuff and didn't need any fillings last time I went in. If your teeth are yellow, those peroxide toothpastes help some. Or at least they lightened my teeth, which weren't too bad, a couple of shades.

I guess the above probably sounds like I'm missing the point. I know you're depressed. I've been depressed,and I know how hard it is to do things. I'm just hoping some of this might make it fun instead of work, even though I remember sometimes fun is work when you're feeling like that. But taking care of yourself is going to help lighten the depression at least a tiny amount. At the very least, it will get your therapist off your ass, and you know how much of a hassle that is.

Archived