CrazyBoards.org

Being BP with a broken hip

Had a nasty fall at home (had to emphasise that bit - nasty falls in my family tend to go along with questionable late night activities) at 2am last Friday... had to wait 6 hours til I could hear a neighbour walk past, since I couldn't reach my phone from the floor. Fractured the head of my femur right through and managed to dislocate the leg too. Emergency surgery and 3 nice long pins in my hip later, I'm stuck on crutches for the next 6-12 weeks, not allowed to put any weight on my leg at all. This injury apparently has a large "relapse" rate and the next step is a total hip replacement - something they're trying to avoid because of my age (mid thirties; nice to be thought of as too young for something, heh)

Don't know how the hell I'm going to get through this (china, I have new and huge respect for you) without cracking totally. In the absence of my chickenshit ex I have to rely heavily on my mother for help doing the most basic things. Depression and a severe case of "poor me" syndrome are starting to set in. I HATE being helpless, fuckit.

whine, whine.. anyway, you get the picture. Life kind of sucks right now and I'm missing my daily computer time - can't sit for long and need help getting here in the first place. Thanks for reading.

S

WOW!

My sympathies. Yeah, broken femur is darn incapacitating, and you broke it in the worst spot, due to mechanical stresses. Well, take your vitamins and get plenty of calcium so that bone can mend.

Did they put you in a hip abduction brace? When I worked at the orthotics facility, the braces we carried had the ugliest lavender color pads on them. Always annoyed me.

Be careful around the house. Did they give you a walker?

a.m.

That totally sucks!!! I'm 27 (gonna be the big 2-8 soon...shhhh!) and I can hardly imagine what that would be like for you, being so young and all. It is normally one of those things you think of grandma having! Better check for Alzheimer's too while you're at it- maybe you are getting old before your time! Bone density tests, mamograms...bi/trifocal glass, and stories about walking uphill to school both ways...yeah, that's where you're headed!

get well soon-

loon

Lordy, honey--you didn't have to go to all that just to make me feel less alone!! LOL

Seriously, ugly break, and hard place to heal, so welcome to the "Skittles and china Gimp Club". I wish I could give you some groovy ideas to pass the time--I've even taken to re-reading Dr. Phil, so you know desperation has set in. I also have taken to petting the cat-zilla that shares my name--she is in shock because of the sudden affection and bites me regularly.

Problem to watch for--if you ever had anxiety about going out amongst strangers, meeting new friends, etc., be prepared that will get WAAAAAY worse. So that once you CAN get out, you will be afraid to, and think of all sorts of wonderous excuses not to do anything but lay on the couch.

Another note: in EIGHT WEEKS I have gained over 10 lbs. Eating is great recreation, and cereal is my best bud right now. I don't know if you have any issues with food (I do) but if you do, be prepared for them to raise their ugly little heads. You will attack the fridge like a mad Hoover stuck on the high cycle.

Also, personal hygeine seems to immediately drop to the bottom of your priority list. I mean, who fucking cares if I even comb my hair, far less mess with making myself look less like some homeless person?

And there, my friend, are your first lessons in 'How to be a Crazed Shut-In"

Tune in tomorrow for further adventures--

love ya--china

P.S. Loon--YOU SUCK!! We are not old (well I am but thats another issue) we are merely crazy and clumsy,a dangerous combination.

P.S. #2--Skittles--no joke here--if you smoke, QUIT and don't let anyone smoke around you--it really will make your healing time much longer--and the bone may not knit at all if you smoke. End of nursie lecture.

Had a nasty fall at home (had to emphasise that bit - nasty falls in my family tend to go along with questionable late night activities) at 2am last Friday...
So, what was the "questionable late night activity?" ;) Have to ask, since you put it out there.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks everyone..

Did they put you in a hip abduction brace? When I worked at the orthotics facility, the braces we carried had the ugliest lavender color pads on them. Always annoyed me.
Lavender? Sounds deeply attractive. No brace, just crutches, which I've managed to drop and fall over a couple of times already. Nothing like the screaming agony of stamping with a broken hip.

Better check for Alzheimer's too while you're at it- maybe you are getting old before your time! Bone density tests, mamograms...bi/trifocal glass, and stories about walking uphill to school both ways...yeah, that's where you're headed!

Geez, so rude!! I am actually headed for a bone density scan, since they say I have pre-osteoporosis and "soft bones" - whatever that means? Doc is wondering if all the psych meds over the years have screwed up my body. Just fabulous.

China -- thanks for the tips - I think I'm heading down the road of desperation already. Hey, only 5-11 weeks to go (hooray - not). Favourite moments so far -

having back go into spasm because I can't lie on my side

trying to lie on my side anyway and screaming with pain

eating my way through two boxes of cereal bars

shouting at the cats because they want me to feed them at all hours of the day

doubling my dose of seroquel just to have some mental time out (I know, I know)

being crapped on by my family for turning my cellphone off so I don't have to talk to anyone

having my mother hang around in the bathroom and give me tips on how to wash myself

giving up on washing my hair because have had enough of mother's tips

More to follow, I'm sure.

Sorry everyone for using the board as a place to let off steam about this!

ETA

So, what was the "questionable late night activity?" Have to ask, since you put it out there.

Libby - best example is my sister, who on two separate occasions (in a drunken haze) broke her ankle by jumping off 2nd floor balconies. Similar things done by my brothers over the years. (Of course I'm as pure as the driven snow and would never do anything like this .. haha)

Ah Sister Skittle--you joined the club quickly and with a vengence, I note!

Good for you on the cell phone--I have also added a message to mine that if you are calling from a "private or blocked" number, I will neither speak with you or return your call. In fact somene called the other night, asked for me--"private number"--I replied that "This is she, but I do not speak with people who are rude enough to call from blocked numbers" and hung up. Sure cuts down on the calls from bill collectors.

And remember, membership in this little group gives you the right--no, REQUIRES--you to whine, take too many meds, slob around the house in old, worn out concert Tee shirts, eat till you are bloated, take naps when you can, whine some more, and then take a few more meds. Hair washing--indeed, face washing--is to be considered optional at best. And cats had best keep their distance.

Seriously, you probably do have osteopenia--which is what you get just before osteoporosis--and they will eventually put you on Fosomax, or soemthing similar. Not something to mess with--one horribly broken bone per lifetime, dear. Drink lots of milk, and start taking 600 mg Calcium with Vit. D twice a day--

Hang in there--holler if you need me--not that I could do one fucking thing to help but we could whine in harmony, or something similar.

Your sister in Gimpy-ness--china the grumpy ;)

I broke my leg last December and I'm still wearing a brace. I was non weight bearing for nine weeks. During this time I used a walker rather than crutches. I was so much easeir and safer. Do you have one of these?

It was a really hard time. I hated not being able to take care of myself and have to rely on other people. I had people but it was hard on them too. The whole thing just basically sucked.

Yeah, and I have a dandy almost-new walker, complete with flames on the side I could sure give you--too bad neither of us can travel more than 50 feet!!!

Walkers so beat out crutches and/or canes. Jesus, its sad to think I know that fact from personal experience.

Hope you're having a good day--its every day/one day at a time. Today, I just feel shitty, lie around the house and whine kinda day. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Am determined to go to the beach on Thurs., which is my birthday, fuck the damn brace.

china, the bored and petulant

Well, got driven to the pdoc yesterday - fuck, what a MISSION! I'm still exhausted. Getting exceedingly grumpy at how unfriendly roads, cars, slopes to pharmacies etc are to us disabled folks. Had to stand balanced on one leg for 30 mins while the pharmacist put together my cocktail for the month. Stupid stupid bout of stubbornness on my part, as I could easily have called the pdoc and got the pharmacy to send the stuff over to my house. I won't do that again in a hurry. (not that I can hurry anyway), as it was terrifying. Too many people dashing past me, generating terror about being knocked over. Shit.

Seriously, you probably do have osteopenia--which is what you get just before osteoporosis--and they will eventually put you on Fosomax, or soemthing similar. Not something to mess with--one horribly broken bone per lifetime, dear. Drink lots of milk, and start taking 600 mg Calcium with Vit. D twice a day--
Yes, I think it is osteopenia... have to see the surgeon on Thurs to have my stitches taken out, and in about 6 weeks see a physician who's likely to bomb me with bone medicine. Have finally gritted my teeth after all these years of stubbornness and started chewing foul and disgusting calcium tabs every morning. Yuck.

And remember, membership in this little group gives you the right--no, REQUIRES--you to whine, take too many meds, slob around the house in old, worn out concert Tee shirts, eat till you are bloated, take naps when you can, whine some more, and then take a few more meds. Hair washing--indeed, face washing--is to be considered optional at best.

Ha. Maybe we should have t-shirts made up. Big warning sign saying Beware - Pissed Off, Cranky as Hell cripple, Mess with at own risk"

Re the walker - I have been wondering if it would be easier than the crutches. My arms keep going into spasms. Will ask surgeon on Thurs when I see him.

Anyhoo, back to regime of too many meds and long afternoon naps. Hell, I'm BP and VERY irritable, so I think I'm entitled.

Waterfall and China-- hope you're surviving the day!

My best friend(whose nickname is Beaver, but thats another story--) once fucked her leg up riding her bike--ran outa road--and was given a walker. Her other girl friends and I put a large sign on it:

"BEWARE--GRUMPY BEAVER APPROACHING!!!" We felt it only fair to warn the unsuspecting. We shoulda added "BEWARE--GRUMPY BIPOLAR BEAVER APPROACHING" As she was soon after dx'd as the most BPI person I ever met. I mean WAAAY up and WAAAY down--shit, I just thought it was all the fun drugs--who knew she was really MI??? (self-medication can be a powerful thing--but alas, eventually does not get the trick done as well as pharms.)

Still my best friend/sister--I miss her so much it is painful--and trust me on this walker thing--

And you don't have to chew up calcium--I take mine in a tablet. And I think they even make chocolate flavored stuff you can chew up like candy-- I buy mine at the Dollar store.

Had a horrible day yesterday, decided my life is in fact over, and now DH is mumbling about changing jobs. I cannot and will not move again--ever. They will have to plant me here. I went to bed at 8PM and then got up at 10 and ate a huge bowl of ice cream. So there.

Better today, but its just one shitty day after another. My next pdoc's visit is Thurs.--on my birthday. How appropriate is that?

china, making her list and checking it twice to bitch at the pdoc on Thurs. This 4 PM sinking spell, in which I am no longer fit to be around human beings from about 4PM on thru the night has got to be fixed somehow--

P.S. Skittles--love ya, mean it--and you have a nice day--- GIMPS RULE!!!!!!

Skittle, your outing to the pharmacy sends shivers up my back. I can't imagine going out around rushing people so soon.

China: Your 4 oclock sinking spell sounds vaguely familiar, but for the life of me I can't think of what condition it might be related to (other than Alzheimers Sundowning ;) ). Gut feeling is that its not a scary situation but needs a med adjustment or addiont. I'll keep thinking about it.

hang in there girls,

a.m.

AM--if this helps--every single anxiety attack I have ever had (except one) happened around or shortly after 4PM. I am just great in the AM--energetic, funny, able to accomplish things (MOST days, not al) but if its gonna be a bad day I know it by 3 or so, cause the bottom begins to leake then falls out shortly thereafter. Its a rare day I am not in hysterical tears by 6 PM, and have no idea why. I take Klonopin faithffully every AM (1 mg) and also PM (1 more)--makes the "attacks" a bit less intense, but they still just happen.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Skittle, but I know you understand.

BTW__how do you get your pharmacy to DELIVER????

Thanks AM for your thoughts (Sundowning, indeed--bite your tounge!!!)

GIMP POWER!!!

love, china

i wuz wondering how you were doing china. although you may be pissy and irrtiable, you sound better to me, not so much helpless and crying.

Skittle, if you can swallow the giant horsepill calciums, if you take them with a meal your body will fully dissolve them. i don't like any of the chewable stuff, so i just take mine with meals.

Thanks again all -- and be warned, much whingeing still to come.

Pharmacy delivering? Perhaps it's something unique to this country, as I've never yet encountered one that doesn't deliver. The chief pharmacist at the one I go to has known me for 19 years, so has seen me through all my scrapes and accidents and increasing degrees of crazyness. Still was damn stupid to think I could go out and face the world so soon after the surgery. People are so impatient. I suffer from hating anyone taking control away from me, so this whole experience is a major learning curve. My arms are still wrecked from balancing on the crutches for so long.

Had shitty shitty day yesterday when my missing husband (soon-to-be- EX if he doesn't stop stalling) emerged from the ether to inform the lawyer that I'm the love of his life and he doesn't want to lose me. Pig. Pig. Pig. Manipulative pig. I have no patience left and am exercising my right to be as bitchy and nasty as possible... doesn't that make me sound like a pleasant, easy-to-love person? Ha.

Anyway, enough of that... I think it's time to haul myself and my crankiness back to bed.

Oh, PS - the swallow kind of calcium pills scare me - they're so HUGE. Ick.

And another PS - I went through all my meds with the pdoc on Monday and she says that none of them have the side effect of "softening bones". So it's just genetic I guess. I should have warned her not to give me a month's supply of diazepam, because the temptation to take 40mg+ of it at once is far too great. Bad and unhealthy, I know, so I don't need to be warned about it. China, you're still alive, so maybe it's not such a disastrous thing after all. (yes I do in fact know that it's a stupid thing to be doing)

Momentous day coming up - China's birthday and the surgeon getting to dig around in my leg to remove stitches. Make sure you do make a list of the late afternoon slump.

S x

Archived