CrazyBoards.org

One week and counting with out alcohol. What a long week, but I'm holding steady. The only problem with not drinking is that I have a lot of issues that are overwhelming me from my past and the panic is worse. But at least, dodgy as I am, I am MYSELF. ;)

Hi Panz

One week...what a glory! Fantastic news. I know just what you mean about now being left with you and all your stuff...all your anxieties and issues and panic. I'm almost at two years and I am still with the issues and anxieties and occasional panic. I've come to see that they are just part of me, part of who I am and that it's okay. I have learned to accept them, believe it or not.

I do breathing exercises, maybe it sounds corny, but I will go lay on my bed, in semi-darkness if it's night, and breathe slowly, just concentrating on how that air feels coming into my body, how it flows in and then flows out. Then I try to just feel each part of my body slowly relax. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much, but I try.

Other times, I will go for a walk. Or just turn on something inane on the television and make some coffee and sit with my kitties. You know, whatever it takes to make me feel cozy. Because I realized that the wine was my way of feeling warm and cared for. That was me, anyway.

At any rate, good for you, girl! Yay, yay and yay!

~Cat

That is terrific, Panz! And so hard to do, all on your own. If you stick with it, you will be so much healthier physically and then it makes it easier to work on the head stuff.

Well, "easier" is relative, eh?

That is a real goalpost, a whole week. Good luck and keep us abreast of your progress.

olga

My biggest problem with giving up my booze security blanket is that now I'm to scared to leave the house. I don't have that padded boozy warm self assurance to hide behind. I'm probably addicted to Clonazepam, and my Doctor wants to cut me back, but my life is completely living hell with out it.

...But I'm keeping my self promise and not drinking

Go out when you're good and ready, I say. Not like it's all so great out there all the time anyway. Try not to put pressure on yourself...maybe a pat on the back for what you *have* done. You know?

It seems not so nice that your doctor would want to cut back your Clonazapam at such a crucial moment for you. ;)

Did you tell the doc about your efforts in quitting? I'd hope maybe cutting back on the Clonazapam could wait...at least till you get through the weeds....

~Cat

I'm a cutter not a substance abuser, but they're the same in that they both suck hard.

that said, good job! one week is like forever, I know, but you can keep going. and if you slip up, don't freak out, just get up and try again. you're doing awesome.

good luck.

Archived