CrazyBoards.org

I want to have a couple of beers

I don't know a damn thing about paxil, but I did find this....

http://www.rxlist.com/rxboard/paxil.pl?noframes;read=14119

"People have gotten literally lost overnight, from combining paxil and alcohol. Paxil can cause you to lose your decision making ability. I've seen reports from people who have done things they totally regretted, like making love to their best friends boy/girlfriend. Paxil and alcohol do not mix, and paxil does NOTHING to increae your tolerance to alcohol. It does the opposite."

My personal experience was that Paxil roughly doubled the effect of alcohol. My doc at the time conveniently didn't mention the interaction, and it was my first experience with any psych drugs. >.<

If you are determined to drink, I would suggest going veeeeery slowly, and drink plenty of water with it. When I say slowly, I mean have half a beer and wait an hour to see if there's going to be an effect. Then finish the other half over the next hour if there isn't. Then stop drinking for that night. Seriously. I've not had interactions that were dangerous, but they sure can make you feel like crap.

I've drank on a variety of psych meds. It's always a big nono, as far as doctors and pharmacists are concerned, but I have not heard of people dying simply by mixing alcohol and paxil/ssris.

Moodwise, some people have reported drinking sending them over the edge. Sometimes people notice that even with less than usual, they have extreme hangovers from drinking.

Personally, I found the effects came so much sooner. I was dizzy and slurring and mostly drunk off a single drink. It went away after about 2 hours, and I felt completely sober. I've never had a hangover, because I'm great like that.

If you're intent on drinking, just take it easier than you're used to.

you know, i'm the rebel, and i had to decide to drink on my crazy meds.

we were at a family dinner (all the family, so over 20 people), and my pharmacist uncle told me it was alright to have a beer or two, to drink in careful moderation on my meds.

that isn't to say that i haven't had drinks in more than moderation and ended up in situations that i totally regret.

my advice is what my uncle said- moderation, and you may even want to make sure you'er at home during your booze trial in case you get totally smashed or something.

my experience from when i was just on paxil and nothing else (yes, they did treat a bipolar woman with only paxil for awhile! lol), i could drink "normally".

cheers!

you know, i'm the rebel, and i had to decide to drink on my crazy meds.

we were at a family dinner (all the family, so over 20 people), and my pharmacist uncle told me it was alright to have a beer or two, to drink in careful moderation on my meds.

that isn't to say that i haven't had drinks in more than moderation and ended up in situations that i totally regret.

my advice is what my uncle said- moderation, and you may even want to make sure you'er at home during your booze trial in case you get totally smashed or something.

my experience from when i was just on paxil and nothing else (yes, they did treat a bipolar woman with only paxil for awhile! lol), i could drink "normally".

cheers!

-Thanks LOON & TOM. Much appreciated as usual.

Cheers

WARNING: IGNORE ME!

When on all of my crazy meds, I drunk a bottle of whiskey a night. I have just had my liver and kidneys examined, and I am in the clear.

Guess I am a genetic freak.

My Grandad drunk a bottle of whiskey everyday sicnce he was 60, and lived to 110.

"People have gotten literally lost overnight, from combining paxil and alcohol. Paxil can cause you to lose your decision making ability. I've seen reports from people who have done things they totally regretted, like making love to their best friends boy/girlfriend. Paxil and alcohol do not mix, and paxil does NOTHING to increae your tolerance to alcohol. It does the opposite."

Ehhhh what about Lexapro...I just want to sleep more and earlier

Being on it myself, lexapro is a super powerful anti-d and apparently no interactions with alcohol have been reported. As with any Anti depressant med, alcohol consumption isnot advisable.

According to the Powers that prescribe, diagnose,treat and advise, alcohol IS A CNS DEPRESSANT..Adding booze to an anti-depressant apparently negates the effects of your pill and you are left taking pills that are not working for you..

So it be told to the Frost.. by a pro.. ask your doc anyway.. He knows you best..

Being on it myself, lexapro is a super powerful anti-d and apparently no interactions with alcohol have been reported. As with any Anti depressant med, alcohol consumption isnot advisable.

According to the Powers that prescribe, diagnose,treat and advise, alcohol IS A CNS DEPRESSANT..Adding booze to an anti-depressant apparently negates the effects of your pill and you are left taking pills that are not working for you..

So it be told to the Frost.. by a pro.. ask your doc anyway.. He knows you best..

actually, cns depression doesn't mean sadness-depression, its more like, the opposite of taking stimulants. slower heartbeat, breathing, etc etc.

also, alcohol wouldn't negate the effects of antidepressants, specifically paxil. You can take paxil in liquid form, which is suspended in ethanol (aka the alcohol you drink that does not make you blindeee)

however, drinking in itself does seem to effect some peoples moods, and isn't really a good idea if you're very dependant on your meds to keep you stable.

actually, cns depression doesn't mean sadness-depression, its more like, the opposite of taking stimulants. slower heartbeat, breathing, etc etc.

also, alcohol wouldn't negate the effects of antidepressants, specifically paxil. You can take paxil in liquid form, which is suspended in ethanol (aka the alcohol you drink that does not make you blindeee)

however, drinking in itself does seem to effect some peoples moods, and isn't really a good idea if you're very dependant on your meds to keep you stable.

I just repeat the info as I have gotten it over the years by several independant institutes dealing with anti-d's

and all say .Drink and pills don't work..They even had a class about it..So what the heck.. I would like to think they know what they were saying or everything I learned there was bull??? FRost

When I drink, which is very rare anymore, I make it a point to limit myself to three of whatever it is I'm drinking. Any more than that has the potential to send me into embarassing public blackout drunkenness before I'm aware that I even crossed the line. I learned that lesson the hard way, and it involved Paxil, vodka, a whole lotta state cops, and one hell of a pissed off (ex)husband.

Be careful and take it extra slow to learn your limits. Even then, your limits might not always stay consistent.

you know, depression from taking CNS depressants usually goes along with having a major depressive disorder. for example, people taking anticonvulsants for epilepsy and "getting depressed" is actually a fairly uncommon side effect compared to placebo. so i think there is some truth to what you are saying. i get depressed from most anticonvulsants and my diagnose is primarily MDD.

that's why drinking is not recommended for those in the bipolar spectrum or depressed

I just repeat the info as I have gotten it over the years by several independant institutes dealing with anti-d's

and all say .Drink and pills don't work..They even had a class about it..So what the heck.. I would like to think they know what they were saying or everything I learned there was bull??? FRost

apparently you have been mislead. I'd reference studies, but I really don't care enough to look for them. Suspension formulations are enough proof for me.

Perhaps they just didn't want depressed people developing alcoholism?

Manny (man-nanny?), I have not taken Paxil, but I am on an SSRI and drink on rare occassions while on it. Rare not because I am afraid of interactions, but because anti-ds seem to kill my desire to drink.

Anyway, you never know how these meds are going to affect your tolerance. Personally I seem to experience the "can't get drunk on meds" phenomenon, others get drunk much faster. I would start with one beer or even half a beer if I were you.

Also I think it's interesting that a lot of people's doctors and pharmacists tell them not to drink. Mine don't seem to think it's a big deal provided it's in moderation. Of course it does depend on what you are taking. I'm not sure but I think it could potentially kill you if you drank too much on an MAOI, for example.

Archived