CrazyBoards.org

trazodone (desyrel) for sleep

just started it. second night (and i can't operate my keyboard very well right now. i'll try to be careful!)

anyway.

noticed i'm waking frequently during the night. i'm thinking maybe this will go away (or i won't remember it after a while). having vivid dreams (kinda cool except when they turn freaky blood gory graphic - which hasn't happened yet).. serious hangover so far -- which is why pdoc put me on it in the first place, as seroquel was lasting for too long, even at 12.5mg (zombie hangover lasting 14 hrs after taking the med).

well, i ended up not wanting to take seroquel anymore, or being up too late to take it, and completely not feeling tired or sleepy so staying awake and then maybe sleeping for 3 hours or 5 hours. coming off a 5hour night, i took the new drug. definitely makes me stumble around if i have to go to the bathroom or something.

i wonder, perhaps the waking frequently - really the only difficulty i'm encountering with trazodone - is just something i have to get used to again, after using seroquel and having the total knockout effect.

perhaps i forgot what sleep is usually like.

thoughts?

I've been taking 50 mgs and still waking often. It was a problem for me before though. I'm gonna try 100 mgs per pdocs instructions. Funny- I even woke at night on 500 mgs seroquel. I don't think I've had a good nights sleep since my teens. I hope you can get some restful sleep.

how often are you waking up? is it often enough that you aren't getting through a full sleep cycle? (i just stuck that link there b/c i'm like that, not because i think you don't know what sleep stages are.) is it easy to fall asleep again? i think most people wake up a few times in the night, but i'm not 100% on that.

and yeah, trying to navigate the walk to the bathroom on trazadone is no fun.

how often are you waking up? is it often enough that you aren't getting through a full sleep cycle? (i just stuck that link there b/c i'm like that, not because i think you don't know what sleep stages are.) is it easy to fall asleep again? i think most people wake up a few times in the night, but i'm not 100% on that.

and yeah, trying to navigate the walk to the bathroom on trazadone is no fun.

no, thanks penny, the link is cool.

i am probably not waking up enough for it to be interrupting that much, but i duno. it's sedating so i do go back.. i'll keep in mind. i do know i'm dreaming.

thanks to scatty and drumming as well for your comments on the med. i agreed to give it a week. i might like to put more in this topic just so i have it somewhere completely. since i'm not so much into record keeping (as in, i have an aversion to it, but that's another thread)

pj

Hi Peej,

Trazedone is good if ... it works!!! Hah!

No, really; it was originally an antidepressant but it put everyone to sleep!

To avoid the morning grogginess, can play with timing of when you take it....like, try it an hour earlier. Also if you are getting off seroquel would that perhaps be a withdrawal thingy from it, waking up?

Trazedone worked so great for me! I used to cut the little bugger into thirds cause for me it was strong. And took it 1-2 hours before I wanted to be asleep, cause it lasted a bit longer in the am than I wanted.

but it definitely wore off at a very predictable time in the a.m., so I did pretty well on it, and knew the grog was chemical and would abate shortly...

Good luck with it!

Hugs,

Luli

• 2 weeks later...

I've been taking trazodone since the end of December and it works very well for me. I tried 50 mg, but found I need at least 75 mg---although most nights I take 100 mg. I wake up, but am able to go back to sleep quickly. What I like about T is that I'm not awakened by every little noise like I used to be. Now, I never know what time my kids get home at night---that's my H's job!

Another plus for me, which helps anxiety, is that I *know* I'll be able to sleep, even though I have stuff on my mind.

dianebea

At least you could walk when I took it 100mg I staggered to the bathroom like I was drunk no fun for me I could not even fall alseep well on it got up to 100mg and gave up now useing seraquel but the hang over sucks and It too doesn't seem to be working well. Maybe the walking thing will go away in time

i haven't been taking it very regularly. also being a bad bad girl and drinking beer n stuff.

yeah i stagger around on it. oh well. sometimes i like that hit by a truck feeling.

sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

I am taking this too. I can only take one or I can't get up in the morning and even with the one, I feel like shit in the morning. I wake up with a really bad headache. I don't know if I am going to keep taking it. There are days it works and then others I am still up cleaning till 4.

PresentJoy-

I personally hated the stuff. They got me to take it for about a week in the hospital and I rebelled. I had the worst time with nightmares, waking up all the time, feeling sick to my stomach, feeling like I had a hangover, and all that fun stuff.

As for Seroquel, I used to take it for antipsychotic reasons. I took 800mg/day. I could take huge doses in the am and go to work and be totally fine, but if I took just 50mg, I'd literally be a slobbering idiot and not be able to stand up. But Seroquel gave me terrible, vivid nightmares. It seems like all sleep stuff, except lovely Ambien, gives me sleep issues!

I hope you find something. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything. Normally I sleep well, but for the past few nights I haven't. I don't know if it is the dope-a-max added now in my med routine or something. I've been taking it for awhile now but you never know with this stuff. Or maybe Zyprexa flushing out of my system? Who knows!

Anyway, about you. I'm sorry I can't think right now. I know! Geodon made me sleep until kingdom come! You could try that! Now, it did make me homicidal, but I'm sure that is very, very rare and probably won't happen to anyone except me, of course. ;)

loon

I took 50 mg of my boyfriend's trazadone at 9:00 and here it is almost 1:00 and I have insomnia. I don't feel like I have taken anything. I was thinking about asking my pdoc for it but it seems it's a sugar pill for me. I'm glad I tried it before asking.

I think what I need is a rubber mallot.

Well I have a friend that takes 200 mg. Works ok.

Better check for liver interactions with other meds as some psych meds don't work well with trazedone, are contraindicated. I'd defintely check to see if it's not supposed to be taken with gabep. or neurontin. Couldn't do it with serzone back when that was on the market. Had to switch to 1 mg ativan.

good luck!

Still, playing with when you take it and playing with dosages worked well for me. Yes woke groggy. one hour later, grog all gone!!!! I could time the grog by when I took the med the night before.

Luli

I checked on aidsmeds for interactions before trying it and it only listed increased CNS effects to monitor, more drowsiness.

I thought it could be a potential med to help me go to sleep earlier and give me a wee seretonin boost for this mild depression I am trying to fight off.

I think it's actually stimulating me. I'm a freak!

Sorry PJ, I'm hijacking. I'm bad for that.

Archived